You are here

DIY Bass Traps

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

DIY Bass Traps

Postby Digipenguin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:36 pm

Here's a site that I've dedicated to documenting my DIY Bass Trap experiment. I'm not a web designer nor am I an acoustics expert so it's all just for fun. Man, this is what I do for fun? I gotta get a life! 8-)

http://webpages.charter.net/jdgeisen/BassTraps/BassTrap1.htm
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Re: DIY Bass Traps

Postby Doublehelix » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:31 pm

Great job DP!!! Really informative, and well laid out.

Keep 'em coming! Can't wait to see what they look like when covered.
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Alfie Noakes » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:10 pm

Good stuff!
Your mitre joints are excellent, Dig.

LOL, you US boys do like your power tools :D

PS, I'm colour blind, and had great trouble trying to find the "next page" links :headbang: :?
Alfie Noakes
Regular

Postby Digipenguin » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:43 am

Thanks, DH.

RPM, I'll see about changing the color. I just cut and pasted the code from my links at the top of the page which are in a darker area.
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Scottdru » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:37 pm

Good stuff!
LOL, you US boys do like your power tools :D

Very true. :) I love 'em. I only have a basic drill and a circular saw here at my NYC apartment, but sometimes I really miss the days where I could just go over to my dad's house and use the table saw, etc., and the nice selection of hand tools . . . and his neighbour has a full complement of machines in his place . . . air driven tools, drill press, and I think even some some hydraulic stuff last time I visited. Hehe . . . he and my dad never buy a f**kin' thing if the two of them can come up with a way to build it. It's kinda fun to watch what they come up with sometimes.

Anyway . . . hey, DP . . . looks great, man! I believe a similar project is in the cards for me in the weeks or month ahead . . . though I haven't the space or facilities to do as slick of a job as you are doing with it.

Anyway . . . when you were looking for 703, did you happen to try these guys:

Southwestern Insulation
12851 Nelson Street
Garden Grove, CA 92460

Phone:
Fax: (714) 530-2980
(714) 530-6011

I ran across a recommendation for these guys some time ago on Ethan's forum, and last I knew I believe they will ship variable quantities (even small quantities) to people. I'll probably be checking in with them soon. (I hope they will still ship out small quantities!) Hehe . . . I really wouldn't want to have to be wrestling with compressing the fibreglas like you are doing there out on the sidewalk!

Anyway . . . FWIW, if you decide to make anymore traps. If I find out they are still selling it in small quantities when I contact them, I'll put it up in the sticky links thread.
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Postby thefruitfarmer » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:09 am

Here's a site that I've dedicated to documenting my DIY Bass Trap experiment.....

:) - great photos!

It looks like a major engineering project and that compression of the loft insulation must have needed an industrial grade stapler to hold down the wire mesh. I have a regular staple gun, which is good for upholstory and other light tasks. It fires 12mm staples.

I reckon you'd be needing at least a 24mm............;->
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Digipenguin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:33 pm

I'll be covering them tonight. Hopefully I can get the pictures up tomorrow. :)
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Digipenguin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:34 pm

RPM, I changed the link color for the different pages. Thanks for letting me know that was a problem.
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Digipenguin » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Yeah, when you renovate a couple one-hundred year old houses you tend to pick up a few power tools. One of the perks of being thrifty and buying a fixer-upper. :)

Scott, I found a couple sources but they either wouldn't return my inquiries or were too expensive when considering shipping on top of the actual material costs. The R25 I purchased was only $25 for enough to do 3 traps. 8-)

I like to experiment anyway so I'm not complaining. When you work on room sized particle accelerators all day it's nice to come home and work with nice malleable wood that is not running on 5MeV.:shock:

If these work, I'll make you a pair....for a price. :D
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Digipenguin » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:44 am

Page 4 is up.
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Doublehelix » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:34 pm

Looks great John! Nice touch with the trim work!

Is the drop cloth going to be OK with the low end? How about the higher end stuff (might reflect it back)?

Let us know how they work!
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Postby Digipenguin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:39 pm

DH, it's a cheap dropcloth so it's pretty thin. It should be transparent to bass frequencies and absorb highs. I've given the them the talk test where you stand a couple inches in front of the trap and talk into it. It's creepy. I've done this with many different types of acoustic foam which absorb mostly higher frequencies but these traps absorb so much more midrange. I could hear so much bass being tramsmitted through my jaw that I sounded like Barry White. :D I can't wait to try them out! Hopefully I'll get them mounted tonight and do some testing.
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Digipenguin » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:37 pm

I've mounted the absorbers and added some more content. 8-)
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby Alfie Noakes » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:56 pm

I'm thinking that a dropcloth is what we call a dustsheet in The UK (to cover carpet or furniture when painting or doing work in the house) ?

if it is, I had the same idea afew weeks ago, I just got a dustsheet ,made as a stair runner, for a fiver, and it covered three panels (not bass traps but acoustic foam on MDF) and certainy looks far more pleasing than the grey foam, it's quite a loose weave so I doubt it will effect the scattering efficiency of the tiles too much.

Great info on your site Digi :)
Alfie Noakes
Regular

Postby Doublehelix » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:02 pm

Wow DP!!! Looks absolutely fantastic! Great job!!!

In the latest pics, you can see the corner traps, but what are those wood-covered boxes on the side walls? Resonant traps?
Doublehelix
Frequent Poster

Next