You are here

Transcendent Slide Switches

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Transcendent Slide Switches

Postby leemkuny » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:11 pm

I've just started restoring on old Transcendent 2000 synth and am stuck on trying to source one particular part. The slide switches. There are two types of switches on this old synth. DPDT (double pole double throw) and DP3P (double pole three position). There is no manufacturers name on the original and I've scoured multiple switch manufacturers websites and electronics suppliers and cannot find anything that is close. The problem is the pitch o the pins.

Both have two rows of pins spaced 8.0mm apart.
The DPDT has 3 pins in each row spaced at 5.4mm.
The DP3P has 4 pins in each row spaced at 4.0mm.

Does anyone know where I can get something compatible?
Or better still some originals.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, L.
leemkuny

Re: Transcendent Slide Switches

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi leemkuny, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

I suspect you're far more likely to get some answers if you can provide us with a link to a photo of said slide switches, preferably showing their connections on the circuit board.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby leemkuny » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:59 am

Good point Martin. I wanted to attach a photo but couldn't. Here's a pic I found on the web already, not my T2000.
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images4/360/1015/16/powertran-transcendent-2000-faulty_360_ead698cdb71d862b887e171c1f8c64da.jpg
It shows 2 intact slide switches and one broken (a bit like mine). The intact ones on mine are extremely stiff. I want to replace them all.

The closest I can find that I might use with a bit of pin bending is CW industries G-128S-0122.
https://switches-connectors-custom.cwind.com/item/miniature-slide-switches/ted-panel-mount-miniature-slide-switches-swidgets-/item-1569
This has row pitch 6.91mm, pin pitch 4.52mm.

Cheers for the response, L.
leemkuny

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Sadly I got a '403 Forbidden' error message on your first link, although I could see the second fine.

EDIT: Now managed to view the photo in question, so here it is for others:

powertran-transcendent-2000-faulty_360_ead698cdb71d862b887e171c1f8c64da.jpg

Now I've seen the synth in question and its DIY heritage (Tim Orr was responsible for some mighty fine designs over the years), the first thing I'd ask is if these switches physically broken, or do they simply have dodgy connections? If the latter, a spray of DeOxit (or other contact cleaner) and moving the slide switches back and forth a few times may be sufficient to get them working reliably again, even after 40 years. After all, a switch is only a metal on metal contact, and ought to be easier to get working again than a scratchy pot or fader.

Second, I suspect putting you in touch with other Transcendent 2000 owners might be sensible - I've tracked down this old thread that may help, as SOS forum member midierror has one (albeit faulty), and may be able to shed some light on parts availability:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 24&t=42912

As you probably already know, the original Electronics Today articles can be downloaded from this page:

https://sdiy.info/wiki/ETI_SDIY_articles_index

However, while they contain a comprehensive parts list they don't mention part numbers for the switches, which is a shame.

Still, with your contact measurements someone here may be able to suggest some suitable replacements, especially now we've been reminded of the heritage of this well-respected synth ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby leemkuny » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Martin,

Thanks so much for your insight. Two of the switches I have are broken similar to the one on the right in the photo. So I do need to replace them. I think bending the pins on the 'near fit' replacement will work.

Cheers, L.
leemkuny

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Good luck!

Martin
Martin Walker