You are here

Building home studio

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Building home studio

Postby TIBON » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi everyone, me and my friend are trying to build our first studio and we need some advice.
Our budget is around 4.5K USD including: Microphone, Audio Interface, Studio Monitors, Headphones, DAW, Plugins, Acoustic Treatment, Stands and Cables.
At first we thought we should get a MIDI so we can build melody more naturaly but we decided to pass for now and invest in the more importent pieces...
Electronics in our country are very expensive compared to other places so i'll describe every product we was thinking to get with prices (according to our local stores)
we will be very happy to hear your opinion and suggestions.

* DAW and Plugins - fruity loops producer edition + Omnisphere 2 + Trillian (1000$)
* Audio interface - Apollo Twin MkII Duo / RME Babyface PRO FS (1200$)
* Microphone - Rode NT2-A / sE2300 (500$)
* Studio Monitors(pair of 2 + stands) - Yamaha HS8 / Kali Audio LP-8 (900$)
* Headphones - Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (200$)
* Acoustic Treatment- ALCTRON PF32 MKII + Primacoustic London 8 (500$)
* Stands + Cables (200$)

In your opinion, what gear should we get?
Does anything importent missing from the list?
Should we go for smaller monitors? Better mic?
Acoustic Treatment is enough?

We have made a sketch of the room we are going to use, you can see this if needed:

If this post doesn't belong to this forum Im sorry :headbang:
TIBON

Re: Building home studio

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:44 am

Hi there... yeah, those are high prices! A nice list. What kind of music will you be working on?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:33 am

I can slash a goodly chunk off that budget, get Reaper $60 iirc. You can always get another DAW later on and do try Samplitude Pro X5 they might do a 'Christmas special' again for ~$200.

Monitors: That is a VERY small room! I doubt you are going to get it sounding very good but smaller monitors, the iLouds got a very good rep here a while ago. Or KH80?

Why eschew MIDI? I would go for the RME in which case you have it by default and a 'dumb' keyboard will only set you back $100 for 49 keys.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:32 am

Reaper is great but it is not a loop based DAW (that's not to say you can't do loop based music on it though).

RME would be my suggestion too, purely based on the number of recommends it gets here.

Neumann KH80 should work well in your small room where uncontrolled bass is going to be a problem.

If you can, build your own acoustic treatment panels from Rockwool RW3, Owens Corning 703 or similar locally sourced materials (but try to get similar density), they'll be more effective and much cheaper. info and more links here :- https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/owens-corning-703-2-inch/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby TIBON » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:27 pm

resistorman wrote:Hi there... yeah, those are high prices! A nice list. What kind of music will you be working on?

Hi, mostly hiphop/rap..
TIBON

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:49 pm

TIBON wrote:
resistorman wrote:Hi there... yeah, those are high prices! A nice list. What kind of music will you be working on?

Hi, mostly hiphop/rap..

Hmmm. Bass will be a problem, like ef37a said. Smallish speakers and some really good headphones will likely work better for you. The ATs are good, but I wouldn’t mix on them even with compensation. Check out threads here on mixing with phones. RME for me too...
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:55 pm

WRT headphones AKG K702s get very good press and are about the same price as the Audio-Technicas in the UK.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........