You are here

Jacob Collier

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Jacob Collier

Postby marumbra » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:45 am

Do any of you wonderful people know how I should begin on grasping music theory, to eventually reach that of the godsend Jacob Collier
marumbra
Poster

Re: Jacob Collier

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:35 am

Never heard of him. Could you enlighten me?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 pm

A YouTube sensation, it would appear. Here's his YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtmY49 ... JnTWfV7Wsg
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 pm

I doubt that music theory is the key to his talent......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 pm

... and protege of Quincy Jones, no less.

IIRC Jacob Collier has a jazz background, so I'd suggest learning jazz harmony as a good starting point. There are tons of resources available online.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 pm

He's quite fun.

Sam Inglis wrote:IIRC Jacob Collier has a jazz background

Studied jazz piano with Simon Colam at the Purcell School for Young Musicians apparently. Immersed in classical music from a young age with a penchant for Britten, and self-taught on a bunch of different instruments.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I doubt that music theory is the key to his talent......

Yep, more like har-money judging by all the swag he has at his disposal, he's good self publicist has to be granted that, but I don't hear anything that could be described as harmonically compelling.

If you want to learn harmony read the book "Harmony" by Walter Piston, that'll boil your brain!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby joeyondakeys » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Well it would help to know what level you're currently at, your starting/most proficient instrument, etc. And remember, what what works for one person is not necessarily the best method for another to reach their Max potential. There are many methods that are universally effective, but catering to each person's specific needs/goals I think is the best route. Anyways, I don't know how in depth of an answer youre actually looking for, but here to help
joeyondakeys
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:20 pm

OneWorld wrote:

Yep, more like har-money

When I clicked on the link I wanted to hate it...I mean, editing eight clones of yourself into a room, playing an autoharp and an mbira...really...? :tongue:

I did get drawn in though. Some of his arrangements are quite complex; eg it would take a little while to transcribe this excerpt...and with 1.6m views for Hideaway he's not doing too badly in the popularity stakes.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby GilesAnt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Walter Piston might boil your brain but for the full BBQ effect try Harmony by Ebenezer Prout.

Sure you might need a stiff drink to hand, but it does all start to make sense in the end.
GilesAnt
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 am

Jacob won two Grammys too.

He has perfect pitch, which helps.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby joeyondakeys » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:42 am

Forum Admin wrote:Jacob won two Grammys too.

To be honest I think perfect pitch is the most irrelvent reason for his success. Not as useful as you might think. Just very efficient. Many of the greats did not have perfect pitch
joeyondakeys
Poster

Postby marumbra » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am

Forum Admin wrote:Jacob won two Grammys too.

I have it. I don't think that's really the key to success.
marumbra
Poster

Postby marumbra » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am

Then what is?
marumbra
Poster

Postby marumbra » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:09 am

OneWorld wrote:

Yep, more like har-money judging by all the swag he has at his disposal, he's good self publicist has to be granted that, but I don't hear anything that could be described as harmonically compelling.

If you want to learn harmony read the book "Harmony" by Walter Piston, that'll boil your brain!

What about the complex chords in his arrangements? I just feel like he is on a completely different level than most musicians, is that not true?
marumbra
Poster

Postby marumbra » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:27 am

OneWorld wrote:

What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3UDcY4hi4
marumbra
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:35 am

marumbra wrote:I just feel like he is on a completely different level than most musicians, is that not true?

Don't be silly.

You are not Jacob's mum per chance are you?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:55 am

Lol. He's just a jazzer is all, they love those chords with lots of wrong notes.

marumbra wrote:What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3UDcY4hi4

Yeah, nicely done!

Like joeyondakeys says, it depends where you're starting from; what's your main instrument, and what music theory do you already know...? There's no shortage of YouTube tutorials on anything from an introduction to chords, scales, modes on guitar, up to jazz piano masterclasses with Herbie Hancock.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby leonhuene » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 pm

To me Jacob Collier is probably the only one who gets me excited about learning theory...that's my current issue. Whenever I try to learn it I fall asleep unless Jacob's talking about it. Not only is his enthusiasm infectious but his ideas on how to teach / learn + learning harmony "emotionally" and feeling-wise. Listening to how a chord "feels" to you. I like what seems like emotional control over his music and wish I had the same control but the material out there is SO dry it's unbelievable.
leonhuene

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:29 pm

marumbra wrote:

Then what is?

People have been making wonderful music that touches the soul for hundreds of years, many have never heard of 'music theory'. Outside of Churches and 'classical' music, music is an oral tradition. People learned by listening and singing/playing trying to emulate the sounds they were moved by. That is the fundamental element for all good musicians regardless of genre or training. They all learned from what went before and, if they had the talent, took it somewhere else.

Many of the best, most original, innovative musicians in the World have no knowledge of music theory and many others have come to that knowledge after the fact. I suspect the number that have become brilliant musos purely because they learned music theory is vanishingly small. JC would still have that talent if he didn't even know the names of the notes let alone the theory of harmony. Either way he has undoubtedly spent a lot of time and effort listening to others and absorbing what they do before.

marumbra wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI3UDcY4hi4

I quite liked the first clip but there's nothing particularly innovative in that last one. sorry, it's just a bit bland. This is much nicer to my ears https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2OKoLpNBM
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next