You are here

Live sound engineers survey

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live sound engineers survey

Postby jpabloxp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 am

Hi,

I'm currently doing scientific research on mobile devices which can tangibly mimic a mixing console interface. However, I'm not an audio engineer and thus I don't really know the work practices and needs you all face when working on a venue.

I'm looking for audio engineers to fill a small survey to help better understand some of the difficulties they face while working. Here is a link to the survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYfPWPPB-BN2Fr0w5mw-gZwUv9e5v9VVcPDku8HxMpW4U6bg/viewform

Thanks in advance for the help!
jpabloxp

Re: Live sound engineers survey

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 pm

I've wondered about the concept that you call 'emergeables' now for many years - it seems the next step on from touch screen technology : tactile surfaces that can be configured as the ui changes. Very star trek, I know, but it foes seem like the next way forward. I'll keep an eye on it now that I know what people are calling it.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby jpabloxp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I also encourage the community to talk openly about your practices and needs with remote mixing :)
jpabloxp

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm

You really don't want to hear about Dave's 'practices'. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm

One of the problems with remote mixing (and you'll find threads on it here) , is getting a reliable wi-fi signal.

I've used Dave's system and it wasn't reliable, when you need it to be 100% solid. The powered speakers themselves put out enough interference to seriously degrade the wi-fi quality, let alone the amount of mobile phones in a big audience all clamouring for a wi-fi connection and taking up the bandwidth.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby jpabloxp » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Wonks wrote:One of the problems with remote mixing (and you'll find threads on it here) , is getting a reliable wi-fi signal.

I've used Dave's system and it wasn't reliable, when you need it to be 100% solid. The powered speakers themselves put out enough interference to seriously degrade the wi-fi quality, let alone the amount of mobile phones in a big audience all clamouring for a wi-fi connection and taking up the bandwidth.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have also read some users commenting that the Wi-Fi system works fine for them, I guess several variables affect the signal.
In a case scenario where the signal is not a problem and you are controlling the mixing console at distance through an app on a tablet. Have you felt the need of having the controls in a tangible form on the tablet? (e.g. you need to control the volume of the monitors while looking elsewhere)
jpabloxp

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 pm

In fairness Wonks, by shunting onto a dedicated wifi router, we think we've improved things. Need to test with another big gig it seems. Fingers crossed.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby planetnine » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:07 pm

I stick one router at FOH and another at the stage box. Run on 5GHz and don't publish the SSD (eliminates constant polling) and you should be ok.

Note: I might tweak remotely, but I don't mix by tablet as such. I use it to set up monitors at line-check, control BG music from stage, etc...

>
planetnine
Regular
Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.

Postby Michael Harrison » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

jpabloxp wrote:However, I'm not an audio engineer and thus I don't really know the work practices and needs you all face when working on a venue.

I'm looking for audio engineers to fill a small survey to help better understand some of the difficulties they face while working.

I filled out the survey, but for the sake of trying to be more helpful - I feel it might be an idea to spend some time talking to/observing sound engineers & their practices *before* trying to solve their (assumed) problems for them?

What I mean is - currently, we're at a stage in the evolution of mixing/engineering where many of the problems associated with your questions HAVE been addressed, by the ubiquitous availability of generic tablet devices & the availability of manufacturer-specific apps for each console.

Don't get me wrong, current products/solutions aren't perfect & improvements can be/are being made all the time; not trying to discourage further development at all.

However, some of the questions are - IMO - so fundamentally rudimentary/inseparable from the task at hand, that I didn't feel I was providing any new insight in the process of answering.

For instance - the part about being up against time constraints... HAS always been and WILL always be the case in this game; I can't envisage anyone answering 'no' to that one - nor can I see how the development of a new app or product will alter that in any way, as it's normally other factors & NOT my mixing device that dictate this circumstance!

Also... the part about needing to leave the console but still adjust the sound - that problem has largely been solved already; as mentioned above. The part about taking your eyes off the console while working - yes, observing the action on stage is a huge part of the live mixing process, but I don't feel that taking eyes off the console for a few seconds is difficult/disadvantageous. Being hands-free AND 'eyes-free' whilst ALSO adjusting the sound AND walking the room?? Seems unnecessarily fanciful, to the point of infeasibility - unless you're envisaging some sort of Minority-Report-esque interface that is projected onto the very air between me and the stage... In which case, you have my FULL AND UNDIVIDED ATTENTION!!! Pretty certain I won't be alone, either; if that is so. :bouncy:

I hope this helps - please don't feel I'm being dismissive of your project/pursuit; it's just that we've already seen an entire change-of-game in this arena in the last 5 years... Still very interested to see where you may go with this.

MH
Michael Harrison
Poster
http://www.ehsound.co.uk - Live Sound Hire & Services

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 pm

planetnine wrote:and don't publish the SSD (eliminates constant polling) and you should be ok.
>

Interesting! Thanks...
resistorman
Regular
future26.com