You are here

Bishopsound UK

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Bishopsound UK

Postby paul007 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:12 am

Hi,

Just a quick question, has anyone heard of Bishopsound in the UK and has anyone got any experience using their PA speakers? I have read some reviews that they have excellent sound quality but I am just after another opinion?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks Paul
paul007
Regular

Re: Bishopsound UK

Postby Michael Harrison » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:47 pm

I spend 99% of my professional time running live sound (and lusting over potential related purchases!) and I've NEVER seen, heard, read of or even been offered any of their products...
Michael Harrison
Poster
http://www.ehsound.co.uk - Live Sound Hire & Services

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm

BishopSound appears to have grown out of the former Carlsboro company:

https://bishopsound.com/about/history/

We've never reviewed any of their equipment AFAIK

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Michael Harrison » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Out of curiosity, I did a little Googling. Results were... interesting.

This, from their own website:

"British sound is better than french sound. Customers say Bishopsound beats L-Acoustics on sound quality and value for money" [sic]

Nationalistic statements & poor grammar aside; those are some bold statements.

L'Acoustics make some of the finest loudspeakers money can buy. It's not inconceivable that they could be bettered on performance (they're NOT without reasonable competition; but you'll pay DEARLY for *subjectively* better) OR cost (they're not cheap) but to claim *both* is pretty ambitious, IMO. Then there's the questionable etiquette of singling out & claiming superiority over one specific (and well-regarded) competitor...

This, from their product description on Amazon:

"Modern Styling Combined With Sensational Thumping British Tone"

...caused me to raise an eyebrow; quite a bit. Also:

"Beta 18″Sub Bass 1000w RMS 8Ω The Beta 18″ Sub woofer we believe provides the tightest and most defined bass frequency response available in the UK today. Finished in Heavy Duty blach splatter paint it will withstand all the knocks and scrapes gathered through touring. DJ's love these sub-woofers. Black Betty has never sounded so good! For Church applications the low frequency response will move the congregation during reproduction of the spoken word, hymns or more evangelical music. Model Beta 118 SUB (Textured Black Paint) System Type 18″ (Subwoofer) Frequency Range 35~150 hz Impedance 8 OHM Power RMS (W) 1000 Power PROG (W) 2000 (4000w Peak) LF (Power/Sensitivity) 1000w/121dB HF(Power/Sensitivity) / Nominal Coverage / Sensitivity (1w/1m)(dB) 108dB Max SPL (dB) 125dB Cross over (Hz) 150hz Connection 4 Pole connector Cabinet size 520*680*600mm (Cabinet MDF) Carton size 580*740*660 mm Product Weight 48Kg/51Kg Top Hat Inverted in top of cab for pole mount You can call John Roberts 07966 133139 or email john@bishopsound.com at anytime for more details We are PA experts and would be pleased to help you. See all details here:http://bishopsound.com/bs-product/bb15s-beta-115-sub/"

...asides containing further questionable statements & reading like the proverbial dog's dinner; doesn't actually make much sense & is potentially incorrect in at least one instance!!

Now, I'm not saying the brand is NOT any good, but -

They make some seriously questionable/laughable statements

Their products are priced on a par with semi-pro/budget-pro equipment; yet claim to outdo L'Acoustics

Their own published specifications vary between inconsistent & underwhelming

They exhibit a sub-par grasp of the English language; despite flying the flag of 'proud British heritage' (I can think of other groups that do this - I'm not a fan of them either)

Based on the above, I personally would never be inclined to pursue any of their products - that market point has some very stiff competition. Furthermore, if I ever receive advance tech spec for a venue offering a BS (!!) system, I'll be likely to reject the tender & request that they hire in a L'Acoustics system for the show instead!! :tongue:

But, that's just me. :bouncy:
Michael Harrison
Poster
http://www.ehsound.co.uk - Live Sound Hire & Services

Postby Bishopsound » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Just for the record - it is my customers comparing Bishopsound to other makers not me. I just concentrate on making the best sounding speakers at the most affordable price. In future when customers compare me with the others I will not publish it.

I apologise for the bad grammar and I will improve on this. The measurements are from our tests and customers tests and will just give you a guide.

If anyone would like to hear my speakers please let me know and i will try to put you in touch with a user local to you.

I also have plans to tone down the use of the Union Flag. I apologise for offending you. I am happy to answer any questions on the phone or by email andrew@bishopsound.com

Thank you for all the comments.
Andrew
Bishopsound.com
Bishopsound
Thank you
Andrew Bishop
Bishopsound.com
andrew@bishopsound.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums Andrew. I'm sure all our members will appreciate you taking the time to respond to their comments and interest. I look forward to reading more about your products, and maybe even some reviews in the magazine.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eventtechsw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Let me help you all out here.

I have a small sound and lighting company in Plymouth. We like yourselves had never heard of Bishopsound until about a month ago.

After speaking with Andrew we decided to go for one of his outdoor rigs for a few festivals we had coming up.

Now we weren't sure and we knew he had his 30 day money back guarantee so we couldn't really lose much. We got the system and tried it out and WOW! My sound engineer is fussy as hell and he was impressed by the throw and the clarity of the speakers.

We have a smaller KV2 rig which was over 3 times the price of the Bishopsound system and i'm going to stand here and say the quality of sound is on par! You heard me right! I'm comparing this to our KV2 rig! Put it this way. We will not be using Andrews money back guarantee.
Eventtechsw

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 pm

Interesting

As a regular KV2 user, of many of their smaller systems, and up to the ES, I’d be very interested in which of their systems you’re comparing, to which Bishop Sound system.

All of the KV2 is very good, and some is absolutely stunning. At a demo day I attended recently, they were keen to point out the size advantage their systems have over most coparible stuff*. How big is what you have?

* Pair of 5” was quite enough for speech in the 800ish seat theatre, while the largest they had with them literally vibrated my eyeballs yet still sounded clean, for the couple of seconds they turned it up all the way.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm

No reply?

well there's a surprise!
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Eventtechsw » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

We have a pair of KV2 EX12 tops with a pair of EX2.5 subs which we use for small/medium size venues. Cant take anything away from that system its amazing but for the price i stand by what i said above.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Eventtechsw

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:31 pm

That's a good sounding system, I've used it several times, though not right up with their best IMO, and is certainly not something I'd choose for an outdoor event of any size.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Eventtechsw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Its a lovely sounding system and yes your right its not man enough for outside hence looking for a larger system and buying the Bishopsound system.
Eventtechsw

Postby MartinTremor » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 am

All his stuff is made in China and can be bought on Alibaba site and made in China it's the same as sanway just rebadged and the figures do not add up in the slightest

Take the dual 21" sub 29-1000hz

Who puts 1000hz through a 21" driver?

Granted he's a good salesman

Wouldn't trust his equipment as far as I could throw it

Better than kv2 l'acoustic hmm his stuff isn't even on par with Peavey
MartinTremor
There's three kinds of people in this world...... There's those that can count and those that can't! 

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:25 am

Old thread I know, but I've never heard anything less than eye-wateringly expensive (for me) that comes anywhere close to KV2 gear. Superb kit.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:36 am

That bump prompted me to have another look at the Bishopsound website and WRT improbably claims this review seems particularly improbable (unless the L'Acoustics system was particularly badly set up).

"I used my Beta 12 for a small tour launching the http://www.resoundworship.org album Songs for Sundays. Four dates. The first two using the house system, the second two using mine. We started with a very nice L Acoustics setup and next had a Fohhn install. By far the best sound was on the third night, in a 15th century church, pairing the Bishopsound Beta12s with compact Thomann 12″ subs, crossed with a Behringer DCX and powered by a Thomann TSA-4700. We ended with a larger venue, much higher SPL with the same setup. I always think it’s foolish to suggest a £299 pair of speakers are better than something costing thousands, but sound wise, in this context, these speakers more than held their own. They sounded great. This was their first serious outing. I feared after the first night I’d be left pining for the L Acoustics gear that venue had. I wasn’t. I can see that physically these speaker may not stand up to a great deal of careless handling without looking tatty, but that’s about the only criticism I can level at them. I can’t recommend these highly enough, not just for the money but for the sound. These really do rival cabinets costing a great deal more."

Even if the BS speakers are as good as they say the 12" Berry subs they teamed them with certainly are not capable of approaching the L'Acoustics.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next