You are here

Audio & Video playback from DAW for live performance

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Audio & Video playback from DAW for live performance

Postby hwoodrow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:40 am

Hi all!
New member and first time poster, hopefully I’m in the right place!
So here’s the situation..
I play in an indie/synthpop band, in which I’m responsible for all synthesisers and electronic sounds. For this I’ve been entirely ‘in the box’ for live performance, using Logic Pro X on my early 2011 MacBook Pro.
In the logic X project I have one audio track which contains the full backing track for the entire set, and I have various midi tracks which I switch between for synth parts I’m actually playing live with my midi keyboard.
The time has come for us to include a visual element to the gigs, so I’ve created one long video for the entire set that is synchronised with audio backing track.
I’m wanting to send that video to the venues big screen/projector via the thunderbolt output (with hdmi adapter).
I have imported the video directly into Logic X in line with the audio backing track and plugged in the hdmi to my tv/set the displays up.
Now the problem..
when I actually press play on the logic x project, the video and audio both commence but then both begin to stutter and skip (not ideal for a gig!)
So my question is, how can I remedy this?
Is my MacBook just not powerful enough?
Is there different software I should be using for this scenario?
If anyone has any experience in this or any suggestion at all, I’d love to hear it!
Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

hwoodrow

Re: Audio & Video playback from DAW for live performance

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:52 pm

QLab May do what you need.
Depends on what’s going on with the midi parts.
If you only want one projector and stereo sound, you’ll be able to do it without a licence too, so has to be worth looking at.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby hwoodrow » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 pm

MarkPAman wrote:QLab May do what you need.
Depends on what’s going on with the midi parts.
If you only want one projector and stereo sound, you’ll be able to do it without a licence too, so has to be worth looking at.

Seems like it may do the job, i'll give it a go!
Thanks very much!
hwoodrow

Postby AlecSp » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Assuming you play multiple venues, then come prepared for the various video connection options you might come across. Also that the video input may not be local to your laptop.

And I'd suggest ensuring that nothing in your set is dependent on video, including the audio playback. You need to be in a position that you can make a snap decision to ditch the video if it's not going well in soundcheck, and know that the show can go ahead problem-free with audio only.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby hwoodrow » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:59 pm

AlecSp wrote:Assuming you play multiple venues, then come prepared for the various video connection options you might come across. Also that the video input may not be local to your laptop.

And I'd suggest ensuring that nothing in your set is dependent on video, including the audio playback. You need to be in a position that you can make a snap decision to ditch the video if it's not going well in soundcheck, and know that the show can go ahead problem-free with audio only.

Thanks for the response!
I'm hoping most venues with video capability will be ready for a hdmi output
Great advice, i'll have the a copy of the project with just audio ready to go if needed.
Cheers!
hwoodrow