You are here

Making my speakers sound bigger than they are

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Making my speakers sound bigger than they are

Postby mint » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:07 pm

Hi all,

I’ve got a pair of JBL Control 1 pros which I’m using in an outdoor environment as part of a catering van (hence the physical size constraints.)
They lose a lot of their bass when outside and when side by side with my tiny Denon portable speaker with its fancy DSP bass harmonics the Denon actually sounds like it has better bass extension.
I’ve been looking at the Behringer SX3040 and SU9920 to help extend the perceived bass but without over exerting the drivers.
Anyone have any experience on this?
mint
Poster

Re: Making my speakers sound bigger than they are

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:28 pm

If the speakers don't have much low extension then you could try a small eq boost a bit higher up but realistically you're going to run headlong into the laws of physics.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Murray B » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Could you go all boy racer and put a subwoofer somewhere in the body of the van?
Murray B
Regular

Postby mint » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:19 pm

Yep, rude boi sub is an option. Limited space for it though.

So far I’ve stumbled across a unit called a Maxxbass 101 or 107 that adds upper harmonics to the signal so that frequencies falling below the capability of the speaker are still heard. However this unit is now discontinued and I can’t find anything else that does the same thing. Plenty of sub harmonic units but nothing that produces higher harmonics. Anyone else know otherwise?
mint
Poster