You are here

How to Subscribe to Topics/Bookmark for all my OLD Threads?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

How to Subscribe to Topics/Bookmark for all my OLD Threads?

Postby Sosabba » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:54 am

Hi all

I'm hoping to re-read a fair few of my threads from yesteryear in the next week or two. In the old forums, I had all of the threads I had ever created (as well as those started by other member which I chose to subscribe to) listed nicely on my Home Page, or what ever you'd call it. Since the new forums, only new content has the subscription.

Is there any quick easy way to add a subscription and/or bookmark to ALL of the threads I have ever started?

I know there's the "show your posts" option, but that's quite messy. I just want to see one entry per thread in the list like in the Mange Subscriptions page.

Cheers
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Re: How to Subscribe to Topics/Bookmark for all my OLD Threads?

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 am

I can see what you are trying to achieve, but I am afraid I am not aware of anything in the phpBB software we use that can do that for you. And I was involved in both the Alpha and Beta testing of the current software, spending a lot of time exploring and testing all of the features and functions.

All I can suggest is that you use the "show all your posts" option and dedicate a few hours to working through the list and subscribing to each topic, and when you start a new topic to get into the habit of subscribing. And yes, I know that that's not a comforting answer, but there is no functionality to do what you want otherwise. But look on the bright side, you have 564 posts to your name, imagine how long it would take if you were Desmond who has 7508 posts to his name !!!

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sosabba » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks Mr Zen.

That's what I suspected, but thought it worth an ask just in case. So I think I'll bung on a couple of decent albums, plough through, and make the task more fun that way.

But before I do... Is there anything in the "phpBB software" that would allow an additional option to "Show Threads Started by *User*"? Most forums have this alongside the "Show All Posts by *User*". Again, no worries if not but worth an ask before I stick those albums on.

Cheers
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:17 pm

Again, nothing of that nature in the tools I'm afraid. Sorry.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:13 pm

I used the Search page to search only Forum posts with your user name and ticked/checked the Date also in the righthand sidebar, and clicked again to put dates in oldest-first order.

The resulting URL should show them to you, starting 30 Oct 2006 it would seem, and a quick scan down lets you see the topics you started (those that do not have Re: at the start of their title).

Hope it helps:
https://www.soundonsound.com/search/forum?solrsort=ds_created%20asc&f%5B0%5D=is_uid%3A2231&retain-filters=1
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,065 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Sosabba » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks Forum Admin. I really appreciate the effort :) I'm not too sure how this is any different to me clicking "Show your posts" is though (in Control Panel)?
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Just more compact - takes up less screen real estate (depth), so you can skim through pages more quickly looking for the non-Re: posts.
Forum Admin

Postby Sosabba » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Great! That will prove very helpful then. Much appreciated thanks :D
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:28 pm

[I never knew this until now...]

Actually, this URL below will put all the original posts by you on the early pages without any of the replies, making your bookmarking task much easier.

https://www.soundonsound.com/search/forum?page=1&solrsort=sort_label%20asc&f%5B0%5D=is_uid%3A2231&retain-filters=1

EXCEPT - they are no longer in reverse date order. Seems our search forum only allows one of the "Sort By" sidebar filters to be used, but sort by Title does reduce some clutter.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Another alternative is...

Use the My Control Panel (button in grey menu bar) - click on the Show your posts link, but manually edit the parameter sr=posts to sr=topics at the end of the URL. This lists the topics that you have participated in, rather than all the posts.

You can then use the dropdown option selectors at the bottom of the topics list (see screenshot) to sort by Author, Post Time, etc etc.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.30.22.jpg

Still not exactly what is being asked for, but perhaps the best option on hand.
Forum Admin