You are here

Only two

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Only two

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

Magazines on the shelf in Sainsburys Sixfields yesterday at 07:44. I am glad I did not wait until today which was my original intention.

I don't know if this is a consequence of Covid but for a good year there used to be a stack of mags there on the Thursday publishing date and often two or three left after 3 weeks.

I would email Sainsbury's customer services but they have closed down email contact. I have tried to get a reason for this but just...'Policy'.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Only two

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 am

s u b s c r i p t i o n . . . .

:D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:26 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:s u b s c r i p t i o n . . . .

:D

Yes, I know but if EVERYONE goes postal and the magazines are gone from the racks how do peeps SEE them to get started?

We might as well keep lockdown forever if we get everything online.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:01 pm

I’m surprised that any supermarkets stock SOS, my nearest one is ASDA and they have halved the space for magazines and that was before Covid 19.
I don’t know if magazine publishers have to pay to display or if the supermarkets choose to sell other items with a higher markup.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:21 pm

MOF wrote:I’m surprised that any supermarkets stock SOS, my nearest one is ASDA and they have halved the space for magazines and that was before Covid 19.
I don’t know if magazine publishers have to pay to display or if the supermarkets choose to sell other items with a higher markup.

We have a medium sized Tesco ten away by car and they have a very extensive magazine rack. Mostly 'gossip, soapy' stuff but they do for instance always have New Scientist which is a lot of money for a thin magazine (not many ads mind) No Sound on Sound though.

In Sainsburys the rack is one side but the length of any other isle and some 2mtrs high. That is just periodicals. Newspapers are over at the front with the ready made sarnies.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:35 pm

ef37a wrote:Yes, I know but if EVERYONE goes postal and the magazines are gone from the racks how do peeps SEE them to get started?

On their social media platforms, of course. :lol:

We might as well keep lockdown forever if we get everything online.

Works for me.... :silent: :think: :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:52 pm

ef37a wrote: always have New Scientist which is a lot of money for a thin magazine (not many ads mind)

NS have a problem in that in non-Covid times they have a large section of scientific job adverts at the back. These have almost completely disappeared, halving the size of the mag and removing a fair chunk of their income. Subscription offers worthwhile price savings, though, and it remains a good mag.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.