You are here

Recommend a Mixbuss/Master Compressor for Dance Music?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recommend a Mixbuss/Master Compressor for Dance Music?

Postby MM778 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am

Avid reader of SOS and decided to post...

I've gone from Hardware to ITB over the years, but with the onsluaght of plug ins, still can't find a good Compressor for the Mixdown, so would like to look at Hardware again

I used to use an Alesis 3630 which is quite well known for its dance/french sound but know that this has a universal hatred by most engineers, as being noisy and squashes the sound! (which i quite liked! - a'la Daft Punk et al)

I use to use this as a Hardware insert in many of the DAW's fine (also reading the current SOS issue for intergrating hardware and software) which worked well.

After getting a few Waves plug ins (API, SSL etc) I still found that I couldnt get a tight hardware compressed sound for the mixdown.

I normally mix 'to the compressor' on the DAW master channel, and liked the 3630 very over the top compressed/pumped sound, for this style of music

I wouldn't mind investing in a single compressor to do this again, but before jumping back in and getting a 3630 (I sold my last one a while back after investing in plugs) I just wanted to know if theres anything out there that does something similar or better like the 3630 sound over the top compression sound?

I'm thinking Drawmer DL241? / Drawmer 1968 Edition? / Focusrite Red3 / others?

Remember it doesnt have to be "subtle" as the 3630 wasn't exactly polite on mixes and this comp would only be strapped across a mixbuss for an "effect"

Can Anyone recommend anything for dance music (hardware), mid price range which I should listen to or try?

(Big classic hardware like the API2500 is out of my league i'm afraid!)

Regards
MM778
New here

Re: Recommend a Mixbuss/Master Compressor for Dance Music?

Postby Jonnypopisical » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Not sure what DAW you sure - but Logic's own compressor is great in Peak mode for this sort of thing - and I've used all the major stuff in hard and software over the years - it's all in the tweaking of the setting to get the sweet stop...

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby narcoman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 am

plenty of hardware options out there - but before you dismiss plugins, have you had a look at the ELysia mpressor? BIG hit with the electronic pumpo-freaks at the moment!!

Hardware version is AWESOME too - but out of the price range you've indicated - although you seem to have included a couple of pricey buttons !!
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Chaconne » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:25 am

....thanks for the Mpressor tip...sounds good. Its amazing what you can miss...

I found ultimately that Logics compressor could match something like an Alesis pretty well...but you can go much further now!
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby MM778 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:56 am

thanks for your posts..

I think it was something about physical hardware that appealed and the Alesis (although universally slagged!) does have a harsh pumping dance sound.

Maybe its cus that unit has hardknee and peak compression combined with a quick gate?

Not sure I know of any other units with all these? (could be wrong as im just researching)

PS: I should say that I agree about the Logic Comp's but now I don't always turn to Logic, using more Reaper and Ableton Live - Shame the Logic comp isn't a 3rd party one.
MM778
New here

Postby MM778 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 am

Just checking out the Mpressor, after reading your posts!

Wow that thing pumps! its like what im after, a 3630 but better built, circuitry, and sound, with analog internals!

I like it!

Shame about the price though...
MM778
New here

Postby Puresonics » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Alot of guys doing the 'dance pumping comp stuff' are using SSL-like mix bus comps

Blatant plug (sorry) but I'm selling a Roll Music Super Stereo Mix Bus Compressor on SOS ads

It does that sort of thing

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads/ ... derDatAZ=2

Lee
Puresonics
New here

Postby narcoman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

MM778 wrote:Just checking out the Mpressor, after reading your posts!

Wow that thing pumps! its like what im after, a 3630 but better built, circuitry, and sound, with analog internals!

I like it!

Shame about the price though...

well check the plugin version - it's very good..... and has a nice "negative ratio" feature that just kills for this kind of music.

The roll music is a very very good stereo buss compressor - a smoother SSL, but not much good for the pumping thing in terms of how Justice might use it as it doesn't have an external side chain.....shame.... cus that would be great!
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby MM778 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks, I did try the Mpressor VST and still am, and although I like it, would the hardware version sound better?

There seems to be a slight difference with running through hardware and turning the knobs (even the 3630 sounded tight) thats why I may prefer hardware.

Is that mad?
MM778
New here

Postby narcoman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:19 pm

no not mad. And yes - the hardware sounds better - even though the plug is good. The hardware is awesome.
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:34 pm

MM778 wrote:Thanks, I did try the Mpressor VST and still am, and although I like it, would the hardware version sound better?

There seems to be a slight difference with running through hardware and turning the knobs (even the 3630 sounded tight) thats why I may prefer hardware.

Is that mad?

To get the pumping sound you can use sidechaining sucks the mix down in volume to give the kick space to punch through the mix.

But the 3630 is a great compressor for dance music. Its not great for subtle but thats the last thing you need for fun exciting dance music anyway. No plugin has really got the same OTT sound.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 pm

dbx266XL?

I Ilke mine... not as blatant as the 3630 though.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.