You are here

Corsiar CX600 psu issue?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Corsiar CX600 psu issue?

Postby mick.n » Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Just built a sandybridge i7 system 2 weeks ago. Have not had the system powered up since sunday afternoon as ive been decorating this week.

Powered it up just 5 minutes ago & nothing happens when i press the power button on the front....no phase led's lighting up. Now the same thing happened 2 days after i built it.....went to power on & same thing, nothing happened. This first time i set about removing the psu unit, but before i did i tried it again & it booted up fine....been ok untill just now.

Tried resetting the bios just in case but no joy.

Seem like a defective psu?
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Re: Corsiar CX600 psu issue?

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri May 27, 2011 9:23 am

I'd certainly try another psu as we've seen some scatty compatability issues with some of the cx/gs range over the last few months althrough the are a few other things that may cause symptoms like that, I wouldn't be suprised at the psu. If it does prove to be the case I'd say spend the extra when swapping it and get a decent AX (seasonic built) model from Corsair as those cheapo editions they are knocking out are nowhere near the quality of the higher end ones.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Good advice from Pete there - when I upgraded one of my PSUs years ago I hung onto the old one to use for just such a temporary replacement.

This is the way professionals do it, because they have lots of parts to quickly swap over to find the faulty one :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby mick.n » Fri May 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Thank you peter & martin. I gave my old pc to the son when i built this one so i dont have a spare one now. :headbang:

Just booted it up now & alls ok, but there is definately a problem with it. I checked the corsair website & carried out a test when it failed to boot yesterday....connecting a paper clip to the green & a black wire to see if the psu fan spun up ( disconnected all the psu connections to the motherboard first). It didnt spin up so i left it at that as the wife told me dinner was ready. Later on i tested it again & it worked so it seems to be an intermittent fault.

Mind, i wouldnt call over £50 cheap for a psu! Last pc i built was in 2003 & i used a "q-tech" 400w psu that was around £20....it lasted till summer last year before it failed!

Must admit the cx600 looks like a quality psu with all the cables sheathed etc....... would have expected a more reliable psu from a company of corsairs reputation. But having said that, searching the net reveals lots of similar problems with this psu model.

Will contact the supplier on tuesday as its bank holiday weekend & i will ponder over upgrading to another model.

Thank you again, gentlemen. :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby mick.n » Tue May 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Just to update my findings with this. I found that with "ErP Support" disabled in the bios (The default state), when the pc is shut down it is still supplying power to the usb ports.....i can tell because my LED illuminated mouse mat remains lit up when pc is powered down.

I set the ErP support to enabled in the bios & this causes the power to be off when the pc is shut down.

Since i altered this setting in the bios i have had no problem with this seemingly dead psu issue.

Any thoughts as to wether this could have any effect on this?
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 am

You don't mention which motherboard your using. If it's a Gigabyte then it's suppose to give power to certain USB headers post shut down as it's a listed feature in the manual allows for phone charging via usb. If that's the case the could be a problem in the design of the psu protection circuit perhaps that doesn't allow it to start up in certain situations if a constant drain is placed on the unit whilst it's shut down?

It's a very interesting find through!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm

The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3. The current bios is F4 (latest)but this issue appeared even before i updated the bios (stock F2).

As i mentioned earlier, the problem hasnt reappeared since i set this ErP support to enabled in the bios............thus disabling the "on/off charge" feature.

The last time it happened (last wednesday) was the morning after i was using the laptop browsing the net the night before............meaning that the desktop pc was switched on at the mains (but not booted) as the router shares a 4 way board with the desktop, etc. During this time, the on/off charge was enabled for a good few hours causing this constant drain while shut down (as you mentioned). This seems like the most likely explanation for this & the more i think about it the less i suspect a fault with the psu.

The annoying thing is that i dont know what happened or what i did to get it to eventually boot up/supply power.:headbang:

Going to give it a few days & see what happens..........its all good fun. 8-)

Just for the record, if anyone has this "on/off" charge feature & they want it disabling, setting "ErP Support" to enabled in the power management section of the bios is how to do it.

Appreciate your reply peter. :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I think your right and it could well be that feature causing the problem rather than the psu. Hopefully a few days of testing will bare this out as well.

Sometimes the psu protection circuits will reset after a certain critera is met, such as being unplugged fully or after a set amount of time. Could be a case of this perhaps?

No problem on the response, in fact we may have just solved something that was causing some of our gamer guys issues here too, so much appreciated that you brought it up. :)
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:I think your right and it could well be that feature causing the problem rather than the psu. Hopefully a few days of testing will bare this out as well.

Sometimes the psu protection circuits will reset after a certain critera is met, such as being unplugged fully or after a set amount of time. Could be a case of this perhaps?

Aye, now i have got the whole thing running more or less spot on i am going to do a few tests (just out of curiousity) to see if i can find out for sure what was the cause of this.......bit between the teeth etc, etc, :headbang:

Its a bit of a time consuming thing though altering settings in the bios, rebooting, letting it stand for an hour or two with the on/off charge disabled, etc, etc.

Especially when i cannot connect both my old ps2 keyboard & mouse at the same time,my usb keyboard doesnt always allow me to enter the bios..... belting the delete key like a bloody woodpecker :D

I would like to personally remove the dangly bits from whoever it was who decided not to put a pair of ps2 sockets on this motherboard. :headbang:
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby mick.n » Fri May 04, 2012 9:03 pm

The problem has returned!

After almost a year of no further problems with this, i went to boot it up this morning & nothing. Tried it in another outlet with a different AC cable but still no good. I got interrupted to answer the phone, 5 minutes later i tried it again & it booted up!

Went shopping & tried to boot it up when i got back this afternoon, same problem again. Dead.

I did the test of connecting a paper clip to the green & a black wire to see if the psu fan spun up ( disconnected all the psu connections to the motherboard first), but nothing happened.

Had a cup of tea & tried the paper clip test again & it spun the fan up.

This PSU has 24 months warranty. Does it seem like i should RTB?

Many thanks from a slightly baffled mick.n. :D
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

Yeah, I would at least file a fault report and see what they offer to do. We've seen the problem crop up in isolated batches and it'll come and go as you describe so with that in mind it'll be worth getting it back to them. I would however goto extra effort to detail what you've tried and to stress that it's sporadic in it's nature. It sounds like discharging it will make it work for a while and this is clearly a bad thing if it's going in the post for a few days as it'll be fully discharged and working at the other end!

Maybe in your report, stress that it only happens after being on for a while and then power cycled... tell them to turn it on for a day and then off and on repeatedly to see if they can replicate the cycling issue that way.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Tue May 08, 2012 4:13 pm

Many thanks Peter, I will get onto it. ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster