You are here

Random Mic Connection

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Random Mic Connection

Postby Jimmy.L » Mon May 05, 2008 6:55 pm

okey wait..now I'm confused..

I still need to get the cable rewired right? does anyone know of a good place to get that done near Bath/Bristol? Does Digital Village do that sort of stuff?

After I get that done, which shall be my initial priority, do I still need to purchase either a) a pre amp for my existing sound card or b) a new audio interface?

I wouldn't mind forking out a bit of cash for a decent audio interface, however I'd like to make sure I'm actually getting something which will be compatible and work..so I don't have to post a new thread about not being able to plug stuff in lol.

So, imagine I get the cable rewired so it has a TRS jack for the headphones and a XLR 3pin for the mic, if I get that Lexicon Alpha, what would that entail? Would I then be able to plug the mic into that and have a working mic?

<3 for replies :lol:
Jimmy.L
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon May 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Call Andy Allen , In Bristol.

contact him via
http://www.gearonline.co.uk/

he'll make the appropriate cable.

the lexicon alpha has the right connections.... (a 3 pin XLR on the rear panel , and a TRS headphone output on the front panel. )
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Jimmy.L » Tue May 06, 2008 3:06 am

Alright thanks. I've emailed him about this whole thing. Lets see what he says :lol:

If he is able to split the cable so that I end up with a TRS jack for the headphones and a XLR for the mic, how would I plug that all in with the lexicon alpha? Would both the headphones and mic be plugged into the lexicon and then that connected to the comp via USB..or how would it work?

<3
Jimmy.L
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 am

yup.... the alpha becomes your soundcard, and is connected by USB to the computer... the headset connects to the alpha, at the appropriate points .
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Previous