You are here

Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Postby A Non O Miss » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 pm

MarkMark wrote:Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Reading through the posts, I think the general consensus is saying to put album up on YouTube, and afterwards release on iTunes once I've developed a following, and in the meantime don't worry about someone else releasing my music on iTunes because it's very unlikely.

i wouldn't do either...

but

IF you think it's going to do something and that you can actually even gather a following, there is no reason not to release on iTunes first and then YouTube.

Find a different middle man then TuneCore...

:)
A Non O Miss
Regular

Re: Copyright question - Where should I release my songs first? Youtube or Tunecore/iTunes

Postby MorayM » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Chaconne wrote:
In fact if it is not somewhere else, probably Russia, within a week of release I would worry that you are having insufficient publicity.

I might have to borrow that quote! (with appropriate acknowledgement :D)

I only know of TuneCore, what other aggregators do people use?
MorayM
Regular
Ghost Community - Godsticks - SoundCloud

Postby MarkMark » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:16 pm

"Find a different middle man then TuneCore..."

Care to elaborate on this? This piece of 'advice' is useless and pointless without an explanation
MarkMark
New here

Postby A Non O Miss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:18 pm

MarkMark wrote:"Find a different middle man then TuneCore..."

Care to elaborate on this? This piece of 'advice' is useless and pointless without an explanation

No it's not, it is pointless and useless to you because you lack the knowledge to understand the statement...

All these aggregators and distributors are middle-men, whittling even more pennies away from an already devalued product and then providing a service that doesn't even need to exist! They even then charge you while making money and building equity through the collection of your data and the acquisition of your property!

There are so many distributors and aggregators out there, you can certainly find a much better one then TuneCore, especially considering you likely fall into the category of barely selling anything(regardless what you publicly say), as the vast majority of people do.
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby MarkMark » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you, I have a clearer understanding now. I realise that TuneCore is the middleman, I realise they take my money, etc. but I found them on the Apple website under the iTunes aggregators list, I don't see any other way of getting my music on iTunes without any aggregators and without a label.

Yes I also realise that 99% of musicians don't make money or make very little and I fall into that category also. I am humble and don't pretend to be a bigshot. I don't have delusions about becoming a millionaire just because I get on iTunes.

I found your statement "it is pointless and useless to you because you lack the knowledge to understand the statement..." arrogant, just because someone can't comprehend your thought expressed inefectively through a minimal sentence doesn't mean they lack the knowledge.

My aim is to get publicity on YouTube, and if someone asks "Hey where can I buy your album" then I want to be able to give a clear link to a trusted place that everyone knows (iTunes) as opposed to some random artist website where people are weary of any transactions and change their mind before purchasing. I realise iTunes takes a cut too, but in my opinion its a place that people trust out of familiarity, like amazon. Sooo, this leads me back to Tunecore, and why I am going with an aggregator. If you think there are better ones, can you please name them?

If you are going to be dishing out advice about why things are good and bad, then the least you can do is back it u with some info and facts and not get offended when people ask for the details.
Even if you are right and I 'lack the knowledge' has it occurred to you that perhaps that is the reason I am here, to get answers? One would think that with 922 posts to your name that you've learned how to answer questions effectively.
MarkMark
New here

Postby A Non O Miss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:49 pm

MarkMark wrote:Thank you, I have a clearer understanding now. I realise that TuneCore is the middleman, I realise they take my money, etc. but I found them on the Apple website under the iTunes aggregators list, I don't see any other way of getting my music on iTunes without any aggregators and without a label.

Yes I also realise that 99% of musicians don't make money or make very little and I fall into that category also. I am humble and don't pretend to be a bigshot. I don't have delusions about becoming a millionaire just because I get on iTunes.

I found your statement "it is pointless and useless to you because you lack the knowledge to understand the statement..." arrogant, just because someone can't comprehend your thought expressed inefectively through a minimal sentence doesn't mean they lack the knowledge.

My aim is to get publicity on YouTube, and if someone asks "Hey where can I buy your album" then I want to be able to give a clear link to a trusted place that everyone knows (iTunes) as opposed to some random artist website where people are weary of any transactions and change their mind before purchasing. I realise iTunes takes a cut too, but in my opinion its a place that people trust out of familiarity, like amazon. Sooo, this leads me back to Tunecore, and why I am going with an aggregator. If you think there are better ones, can you please name them?

If you are going to be dishing out advice about why things are good and bad, then the least you can do is back it u with some info and facts and not get offended when people ask for the details.
Even if you are right and I 'lack the knowledge' has it occurred to you that perhaps that is the reason I am here, to get answers?

Who said i was offended?

You made a prickly reply and i responded accordingly, that's it!

lets see of the top of my head...

AODA/Orchard
AWAL
CD Baby
DistroKid
AMAdea
Reverb Nation
Catapult
Ditto
etc.
etc.

In a properly constructed digital network i would be getting a micro-payment for not only this information, but also from those who i am currently marketing and advertising for!

Anyways, hope your strategy works out for ya!

:)
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby MarkMark » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks for the examples I'll check them out. In the 'properly constructed digital network' I would make sure you only received the micro payment from me once I was satisfied with your answer. I certainly wouldn't be paying anything for your one liners without any information to back up your statements.

You gave me a list of aggregators off the top of your head without giving any further information as to why they are 'better' and especially why they would be better for my needs. I am amazed that people trust you with their marketing, I assume they 'lack the knowledge' and that works for you because you get money.

I see there is a different side to you when there is no money involved, such as this forum, and you've just proven that with your last post because you couldn't resist giving an answer without following it up with "In a properly constructed digital network i would be getting a micro-payment for not only this information"

lordy lord, give me the name of your company so I can stay well clear of it
MarkMark
New here

Postby A Non O Miss » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Where did i say you would be on the hook for payment?

Under what obligation am i under to list them and then subsequently do a complete analytic breakdown for you, free of charge?

Who trusts me with their marketing?

For too many assumptions based on little information my man!

A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby 10K-DB Music » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I would copyright all your material prior to posting ANYWHERE,,Library of congress has an e-file site,,or you can do old school{hard copy paper} Thats if your in USA. I have close to 250 songs copyrighted there,,but only approx 35 out in public/web{no need to over post stuff just yet} That way if one of your tunes gets "borrowed" by somebody,,and its a huge hit,,makes lots of$$,,you can collect from all that.
10K-DB Music
Poster
 Registered BMI writer. Live//Studio  performer.  Vocals//Bass/Guitars

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:19 pm

MorayM wrote:I only know of TuneCore, what other aggregators do people use?

We use Cd Baby - which I feel is pretty ok for what it does. There's also Reverbnation providing similar services, and I "discovered" TuneCore just last year.

When I selected cd baby, it boiled down to how much you need to pay to keep your art in catalog every year vs. how much cut they take in case of sale. I picked up CD Baby since it took a one-time fee (didn't want to have to pay every year, I'm a musician - I forget things!), the cut was acceptable and they seemed to have a reasonable user interface and customer service. All of which have subsequently proven to be true, so we'll stay on as satisfied customers. Recently they've introduced the "pro" version which also collects other types of royalties (learning about mechanical royalties made me discover TuneCore) but it's provided only to US customers.
The only annoying thing about cd baby is that it doesn't distribute to Wimp, which is a streaming service of growing popularity where we are based, so we're missing out a bit on the local market. So far, we haven't perceived it as enough of a problem to "move" the catalog elsewhere.

But honestly I don't feel there's a great deal of difference between all of these services. The main idea is to bring stuff on major electronic distribution channels, and all of these seem to do it in a fairly straightforward way.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby A Non O Miss » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:37 pm

CS70 wrote:
MorayM wrote:I only know of TuneCore, what other aggregators do people use?

We use Cd Baby - which I feel is pretty ok for what it does. There's also Reverbnation providing similar services, and I "discovered" TuneCore just last year.

When I selected cd baby, it boiled down to how much you need to pay to keep your art in catalog every year vs. how much cut they take in case of sale. I picked up CD Baby since it took a one-time fee (didn't want to have to pay every year, I'm a musician - I forget things!), the cut was acceptable and they seemed to have a reasonable user interface and customer service. All of which have subsequently proven to be true, so we'll stay on as satisfied customers. Recently they've introduced the "pro" version which also collects other types of royalties (learning about mechanical royalties made me discover TuneCore) but it's provided only to US customers.
The only annoying thing about cd baby is that it doesn't distribute to Wimp, which is a streaming service of growing popularity where we are based, so we're missing out a bit on the local market. So far, we haven't perceived it as enough of a problem to "move" the catalog elsewhere.

But honestly I don't feel there's a great deal of difference between all of these services. The main idea is to bring stuff on major electronic distribution channels, and all of these seem to do it in a fairly straightforward way.

BIG difference between them...

Who are they in bed with being a MAJOR one of them...

They are all mostly middle men which don't even need to exist, providing a redundant service all because Indies and DIY's have no power and no leverage...
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

A Non O Miss wrote:

How would that affect the service to my band? I'm interested to know if I'm missing on something..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby A Non O Miss » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:50 pm

CS70 wrote:
A Non O Miss wrote:

How would that affect the service to my band? I'm interested to know if I'm missing on something..

The fact you even ask the question is evidence herein you are missing something...
A Non O Miss
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:59 pm

A Non O Miss wrote:The fact you even ask the question is evidence herein you are missing something...

'course I would - isn't that why people ask stuff in general?

Care to enlighten me?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Musica Libre » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 am

As Jesus Mor I have uploaded a royalty-free music library to: http://www.freemusicprojects.com . Do you need royalty-free music free? Free Music Projects
Musica Libre

PreviousNext