You are here

firewire interfaces, who wins?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

firewire interfaces, who wins?

Postby aaron87 » Mon May 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi after looking at the specs i have found that the Mackie 1200f firewire interface beats all the others on spec and sound quailty. This inculdes digi 003 rack, motu, focusrite and other big makes,

Do you guys agree ?
aaron87
Poster

Re: firewire interfaces, who wins?

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon May 05, 2008 8:14 pm

no.

and how does "looking" at the specs give you the slightest clue about sound "Quality" ??
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby EnlightenedHand » Mon May 05, 2008 8:20 pm

No.

Not by a long shot.

Liz
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster

Postby fingerpicker » Mon May 05, 2008 8:25 pm

I'll let you know how the Alesis Multimix 16 does when I get the friggin thing working (it not being opreational due to my own bone-headedness).
fingerpicker
Poster

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Postby aaron87 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Well the specs, have really low noise and the pre amps and converters seem to out match any other interface i have seen. And these are what make the quailty what it is.

Anyone else have any ideas what the best firewire interface is?
aaron87
Poster

Postby Colin J Morris » Mon May 05, 2008 9:16 pm

aaron87 wrote:Well the specs, have really low noise and the pre amps and converters seem to out match any other interface i have seen. And these are what make the quailty what it is.

No. What you hear is what makes the quality. Not some figures on a spec sheet.

aaron87 wrote:
Anyone else have any ideas what the best firewire interface is?

There's no best. It's way too subjective. Depends on what you're looking for.
Colin J Morris
Regular

=http://www.colinjmorris.com

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Mon May 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Saffire Pro pre-amps are IMHO better.

but that's based purely on my listening to them, and all the alternatives... not a piece of paper, so you may feel differently.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Colin J Morris » Mon May 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Max! wrote:Saffire Pro pre-amps are IMHO better.

but that's based purely on my listening to them, and all the alternatives... not a piece of paper, so you may feel differently.

Take it that's aimed at the OP and not me Max??

:D
Colin J Morris
Regular

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon May 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Rather than continue the rather sublime kicking you are getting following posting this topic. I'll show my increasing years by suggesting that Jordan has great technical specs, I gather!

However, I also hear tell that Keira Knightley is rumoured to produce the odd appealing noise if appropriately directed to do so in front of a camera.

I can attest to the fact that Jordan makes a noise like sucking rancid axle grease through a drain pipe having bumped into her in Antigua on her way to her 'fateful' meeting with Peter Andre in Australia.

The above may not, however, apply to the Mackie 1200F, as I have not heard it, which I would most sincerely wish to do before buying it... ;)
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby RegressiveRock » Mon May 05, 2008 11:32 pm

RegressiveRock wrote:Rather than continue the rather sublime kicking you are getting following posting this topic. I'll show my increasing years by suggesting that Jordan has great technical specs, I gather!

However, I also hear tell that Keira Knightley is rumoured to produce the odd appealing noise if appropriately directed to do so in front of a camera.

I can attest to the fact that Jordan makes a noise like sucking rancid axle grease through a drain pipe having bumped into her in Antigua on her way to her 'fateful' meeting with Peter Andre in Australia.

The above may not, however, apply to the Mackie 1200F, as I have not heard it, which I would most sincerely wish to do before buying it... ;)

Oh and for Tootsweet's benefit ;) the above is definitely aimed at the OP... :lol:
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats

Postby MarcusH » Mon May 05, 2008 11:42 pm

Well don't most manufacturers use spec sheets as marketing tools, rather than objective measures?

With my (firewire) Mackie Satellite, I've had problems with buzzes and hiss - but sorted them in the end though various fixes. What do other people think? Is the Mackie firewire interface problematic, or or these bugs just par for the course?
MarcusH
Regular

You live. You learn.

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 am

Tootsweet wrote:

why on earth would it be aimed at you..... you already chose the right pre-amps if memory serves me aright... :bouncy:
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue May 06, 2008 9:02 am

aaron87 wrote:Hi after looking at the specs i have found that the Mackie 1200f firewire interface beats all the others on spec and sound quailty. This inculdes digi 003 rack, motu, focusrite and other big makes,

Do you guys agree ?
I chuckled. Then I thought 'troll'. Then I chuckled again.

Yeah, dude - go for the Mackie!

Makes me kinda embarrassed to own a crusty old low-spec Fireface! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Colin J Morris » Tue May 06, 2008 9:44 am

Max! wrote:
Tootsweet wrote:

why on earth would it be aimed at you..... you already chose the right pre-amps if memory serves me aright... :bouncy:

I get paranoid when a post reads "Re: Tootsweet"..... paranoid and scared... Like there's no love in the room anymore...

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Colin J Morris
Regular

Postby Mel David » Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 am

It's all moot when 99% of them don't work with Apple computers anyway.
Mel David
New here

Postby Dave B » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am

Saffire Pro + new iMac = much joyous noise. I even went out and got a FW800 - 400 cable in case of problems. Worked like a charm. Enough to convince me to look into a Mac Pro ....
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue May 06, 2008 11:16 am

Mel David wrote:It's all moot when 99% of them don't work with Apple computers anyway.

Hmmm..

I use a range of different Macs... and My Saffire Pros work with all of them..

likewise I've not had any real troubles with MOTU firewire devices, or RME firefaces....

that's probably significantly more than the remaining 1% you suggest might work....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby RegressiveRock » Tue May 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Max! wrote:
Mel David wrote:It's all moot when 99% of them don't work with Apple computers anyway.

Hmmm..

I use a range of different Macs... and My Saffire Pros work with all of them..

likewise I've not had any real troubles with MOTU firewire devices, or RME firefaces....

that's probably significantly more than the remaining 1% you suggest might work....

A much more elegant response than the one that came to my mind. Anyway, putting such spherical considerations aside, I'd be interested to hear why Mr David thinks this to be the case, or do we have a series of bridge-dwellers slowly creeping onto the forum?

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats

Postby Andy McBain » Tue May 06, 2008 2:17 pm

Who cares when the best ones *do* work :bouncy:
Andy McBain
Regular