You are here

sending mic signals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

sending mic signals

Postby Simon2008 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi there

I'm looking for some advise if you may.
I'm currently setting up my home studio and I'm a bit concerned with losing quality with the mic signals since they have to go 23m to reach the mic pre's which are in the attic room (control room), the live room is in the cellar. The guitar amps are upstairs in the bedrooms so no prob there as the leads are only 8m, the main concern is the drums and vocals, there is a vocal booth in the cellar for seperation.

I do have a brick pre-amp which I can use in the cellar for problematic mics maybe the vocal mic, but only got one.

My mics are:

Sennheiser e609 (kik)
SM57 & (snare)
2 x Sennheiser e604 (toms)
2 x AT4040(overheads)
sontronics STC-1 (room)
Sontronics Orpheus + Gemini (vocals)

I am on a budget too so I need to do this fairly cheaply without compromising the sound maybe got £150-£200 to throw at a solution if one is required.

I am hoping 23m wont be a problem with most mics.

My mic pre's:

Apogee trak2 (2)
RME fireface (4)
Brick (1)
Aphex 107 (2) not purchased yet but thinking about it

The other concern is sending the guitar signals 15m to the guitar amps, so the whole band can be in the cellar (eye contact etc), I'm thinking maybe DI boxes can do this job.

So any advise will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Simon :)
Simon2008
New here

Re: sending mic signals

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue May 06, 2008 3:57 pm

as long as you use good quality , appropriate multicore, and decent connectors, you should be fine.....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 06, 2008 5:50 pm

As Max says, assuming you use decent mic cables there won't be a problem at all.

Most of my recordings are made on location with the mics on the end of either 25, 50 or 75 metre multicore snakes, and losses down the cables isn't something I lose any sleep over.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Simon2008 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Nice One Max

Nice One Hugh

much appreciated thats one headache out the way :D

I wonder if you both could help with another problem I need to iron out.

The guitarists are in the cellar with the drummer but the amps are 15m away in various rooms upstairs
for seperation. How can I get a good clean signal to the amps, knowing that 15m is too long for a jack lead.

Now I am buying a BSS quad DI box for the cellar to feed the DI signals to the studio interface (RME FF800)but I still need the HiZ signals to reach the amps upstairs

Any suggestions on how I can achieve this correctly.

cheers
Simon2008
New here