You are here

Selling advice

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Selling advice

Postby Enmore Audio » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:40 am

Has anyone ever has any experience with selling items through Reverb.com?? -https://reverb.com/
Enmore Audio
Poster
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:34 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I suspect the days of 'Shonky Shop" bargains are well behind us now :frown:. The internet means your Cash Converters et al can easily find out the value of nearly everything. Sad but I have my £27.50, car boot sail Mountain D45 to reassure me such things were once possible......

Yes, the dreaded interweb had destroyed everything, I certainly won't be getting an EDP Wasp for £10, a Juno 6 for £40, and a pair of Quad 11 valve amp's for £45 again anyntime soon. My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5913
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:11 pm

:shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16696
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Selling advice

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 am

Martin Walker wrote::shock:
Arpangel wrote:My best find was a pair of Rogers BBC LS3/5a speakers for £3, perfect working order.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Yes, they were buried under a pile of old clothes on the floor, and looked like a pair of cheap music centre speakers, until I had a closer look, I said how much for the speakers? the guy said three quid, I didn't haggle!
Another great find was an Onkyo amplifier, a real beast, 90 watts per channel, twin transformers, a massive thing, plus a matching graphic EQ, and tape deck, all for £18!
I had that amp for years, and it sounded superb. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5913
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Selling advice

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9943
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Selling advice

Postby BigRedX » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:48 am

James Perrett wrote:Some people can't be bothered with looking up prices on the internet or selling on Ebay - they just want rid of something. Those are the people you need to be looking for if you want a bargain. A friend of mine saw a Juno 6 at a boot sale for £15 not long ago so bargains still exist.

But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.
User avatar
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:00 am
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Re: Selling advice

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:06 pm

BigRedX wrote:But £15 is probably all it is worth. Let's face it no one in the early 80s went out and bought a Juno 6 because that's what they really wanted. They bought it because they couldn't afford a Prophet or an Oberheim. Certainly everyone I knew at the time would much rather have had something with a better sound and programmable memories, but they ended up with the Juno 6 because it was the cheapest polyphonic synth available.

Also by now it will probably need a lot of expensive repairs to keep it functioning. Yes £15 is about the right price for one.

Erm - I bought one because it was what I wanted. It was better than my Electro Harmonix mini synth and was great for adding extra textures to the music I was doing. It is still going strong and the only repair I've done has been to fix a cracked connector PCB. Given the comments that I get from various studio users when they see it, I'd guess there are quite a few people who would pay much more than £15 for one.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 9943
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Selling advice

Postby TJ1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Just out of interest - what would stop an unscrupulous dealer selling an item for a price that they then 'under-reported' to the seller?

I'd assume that they might be situations where the dealer needs to be given some flexibilty over price negotiations with the buyer - which is where I would guess the above abuse could occur.
TJ1
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Previous