You are here

JBL eon one

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: JBL eon one

Postby Nestor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi Somebody can helpme please.
Onces the battery is full charged, after 1 hour of working, the speakers turn on the red led of the battery, My question is why ? supposedly last up to 5 hours of work?
Nestor

Postby strutnfret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

For posterity in case someone else comes here looking for clarification of the JBL EON One inputs covered in part of this thread...

I found this thread when I was also puzzled at the JBL EON One Channel 1 & 2 inputs and function of the 'MIC/LINE' switch, and ultimately learned the following from experiments and info from a helpful JBL (Harman) support rep:

* Really all that the MIC/LINE switch does is add attenuation to the input signal (when in the LINE position), applicable to both the XLR and TRS inputs.
* There is no significant difference in the balanced XLR and TRS input signal paths... selecting one is just a matter of convenience. As the manual states, both have the same input impedance (40K ohms).
* Any internal inline pre-amp applies equally to the input from XLR and TRS. (MIC vs LINE does not switch in/out any pre-amp; it only controls the attenuation mentioned above.)

So really you can just think of MIC/LINE as a kind of PAD switch and experiment to determine the appropriate setting for your input signal. For example I'm driving it from the main line level out from a consumer Mackie board. Curiously I found that I need to have the EON switch in the MIC position for sufficient signal; but it sounds fine and there's no way I could drive it sufficiently from the Mackie when in the LINE position.

(I'm using a pair of the EON Ones as an alternative to our main larger PA when playing in tight 'coffee house' situations)
strutnfret

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 am

strutnfret wrote:For posterity in case someone else comes here looking for clarification of the JBL EON One inputs covered in part of this thread...

Thanks for sharing that info.

So really you can just think of MIC/LINE as a kind of PAD switch and experiment to determine the appropriate setting for your input signal....there's no way I could drive it sufficiently from the Mackie when in the LINE position.

Yes, it is very common in mixers, interfaces etc, to use the mic preamp for everything, and just pad down the line input to mic level when required.

It is bizarre that JBL state the max SPL from the eon, but not the input level required to achieve that... Or the nominal sensitivities of the mic and line inputs.... Or the available gain range. And while I would normally commend a company for stating the input impedance, as long as it's more than 1.5k Ohms, it really doesn't matter, whereas all those other things really do!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby kdoerbecker » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:36 am

Yes, run the Mackie output set to +4 and the JBL set to line using XLE connector cables. Wiring is the same as for a IRS phone jack except the mechanical connection is stronger and more reliable. I have a JBL and am very happy with it in small venues except that a mic directly in to the channel (even in the mic setting) will not drive the unit to the full 105db spl the specs call for. I also have to use a mixer then connect that to the JBL.
kdoerbecker