You are here

Can you remember it all??

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Can you remember it all??

Postby Gaxxard » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:08 pm

This is a list of regret - mainly - *retained #badly missed ✔️Great

3x Korg MS20 #✔️
Korg MS10✔️
Korg Wavestation A/D✔️
Korg Wavestation SR
Korg Kaossilator Pro
Korg Symphony
Korg DDD1
Korg Volca Bass
*Korg Volca Sample✔️
*Korg Volca FM✔️
*Korg Monologue ✔️

Roland Jupiter 6 #✔️
Roland System 100 #✔️
Roland Super JX ✔️
Roland JX8P PG800✔️
Roland MKS80
Roland MKS70
Roland MKS20 #✔️
Roland MKS10
Roland MKS7✔️
Roland TR909 ✔️
Roland TR626
Roland TR707
Roland aJuno 1
Roland CR8000✔️
Roland SH101✔️
Roland 202
*Roland Jupiter 4✔️
*Roland TR77✔️

Boss DR110✔️
Boss DR55

Yamaha CS60✔️
6xYamaha TX7✔️
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha DX100
Yamaha RX5
Yamaha RX7✔️
Yamaha RX15
*Yamaha CS01 many mods✔️
*Yamaha PS30 (my Mum’s really)✔️

Oberheim Matrix 6r
Oberheim Matrix 1000

Alesis Quadrasynth
Alesis HR16
Alesis HR16B

Ensoniq SQ2
Ensoniq EPS

Akia S900✔️
Akia MPC2000#✔️
*Akia S950✔️

Sherman Filterbank2

*Eurorack 80 Modules✔️
*Studio Electronics SE1✔️
*Moog Werkstatt x2 many mods✔️
*Rhodes Stage73✔️
*Waldorf Blofeld✔️
*Waldorf Rocket✔️
*Waldorf 2 Pole✔️
*Meeblip Triode✔️
*Teenage PO12, PO14,PO33✔️
Gaxxard

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Gax and welcome to the forum!

Some lovely kit in there. I’m surprised that you don’t rate Oberheim but each to their own. I see you have a soft spot for the old MKS20 ;) that was a great bit of kit for it’s time but was rapidly superceded and left behind. But it has some sounds work brilliantly in a mix. And the RD1000 was the best keyboard I’ve ever played - totally unmatched since!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Gaxxard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am

Slotted between the MKS80 and Wavestation I guess I never paid enough attention to the Matrix.
Like the Rhodes and bizarrely, the Yamaha PS30, the MKS20 piano seems to pop up regularly in my compositions. I’m also a complete sucker for the vibes.
I’ve thought of several other obscure bits of kit I left off my list and that’s probably the essence of this thread:

Jen SX1000
Several Boss Dr Pads and Clappers
*JMT Synth RVO3✔️✔️
U76 drone
MFOS Drone
Casio SK1 bent
Casio SK8
Speak and Spell bent

And how could I forget my .....
4 Pad Simmons SDS5 and Roland Octopads
Gaxxard

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:30 am

The 6r is a good synth behind a terrible interface. Had one, realised I couldn't be bothered, sold it. This has been the way of many an otherwise decent instrument over the years, so these days I pay close attention to my immediate feel about the interface and what it doesn't obviously do and how it doesn't obviously do it. Luckily we're mostly past the "painting your house through the letterbox" methods :headbang: .
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby FrankF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 pm

And the Lord said unto Moses: "Thou shalt not diss the DJX".

Anyone lucky enough to own both a Yamaha DJX and some John Foxx & Louis Gordon albums, (and that includes moi-même), will quickly realise that the DJX was put to superb use on some of JF &LG's best output.
They shamelessly lifted rhythm tracks and synth presets without so much as a "by-your-leave"... I'm so glad they did. :)
FrankF
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm

FrankF wrote:And the Lord said unto Moses: "Thou shalt not diss the DJX".
+1!

I still have a DJX that's my 'under the arm' keyboard for mucking around. It really is one of those' why haven't I heard of this? keyboards - and goes for rock bottom prices.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Are we talking about one of these?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby FrankF » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 pm

In the words of Hannah Reid, " we ar-are, we ar-are".
FrankF
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:28 pm

I really need to get around to fishing that out of the garage and reading the manual. I keep talking about it...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 am

OK, in roughly chronological order, as best my memory is able...
* = still owned

Korg MS10 - borrowed for about a year in 1980. I really hoped the owner had forgotten about it... unfortunately not. Fond memories of exploring sound.
*Casio VL-tone - it’s a synth!
Casiotone 401 (or similar) - appalling, the best I can say about it is that it was polyphonic.
E&MM Spectrum + Roland MC202 - these were meant to be my sequencing dream team, but never got on with the MC’s sequencer and I thought both sounded thin! In retrospect, probably just lacking the right programming and FX. Sold both for silly money before I noticed the analogue revival had arrived!
Korg Poly800 - a real synth, but as my only real ‘poly’, the single filter made it feel very limited. Actually, it had a special sound.
Yamaha CS01 - thought it sounded thin!
Casio CZ-101 - versatile, not thin at all, although the 4-note poly for dual voices was limiting.
*Ensoniq SQ80 - a proper synth, still love it.
Yamaha AN1X - also a proper synth, gorgeous sound, infuriating 8-knob interface.
*Yamaha MU10 - the little-known DB50XG in a box, so essentially a 4-tone XG module with the sound capability of a QS300.
*Yamaha SW1000XG - lovely, but went the way of al swonkies, now sitting in a box in my garage loft.
Novation Nova desktop - liked the basic sound but couldn’t get on with it for programming.
Korg MS2000R - gorgeous sound, still regret selling this. 4-note Poly, though!
Akai Miniak - the poor man’s Alesis Ion? Nice (3-octave) keys, difficult interface and it always sounded like a recording of a synth, not a synth...
Roland XV-2020 - sounded great but was like a tiny portal to a massive dimension - with no way to squeeze through.
Yamaha AN-200 - surely the knobby interface that the AN1X was missing? Yes, but it didn’t go deep enough into the synthesis, and the groovebox character was just too imposing.
M-Audio Prokeys Sonos 61 - Master Keys with nice feel and passable piano/organ sounds.
*Cheetah MS6 - great sound but flaky manufacturing - currently poorly...

*Casio PX310 - if I have a piano, I’ll finally learn to play, won’t I? Errr, no.

The analogue revival belatedly makes it to East Yorkshire:
Novation BassStation Rack (subsequently failed and replaced with *BS2)
*MFB NanoZwerg - nice
*Arturia Microbrute - nice
*Korg Volca Keys - nice
*Moog SubPhatty - a real Moog!
*Korg EX-800 - decided I wanted that sound again.
*Korg EMX1 - not real analogue, I know, but it pretends well. Getting to know it is a long-term project.
*DSI Prophet 08 module - designed to cure my lust for analogue polysynths of old, once and for all. Hmmm.....

The S+S revival finally makes it.... etc
*Akai SG01V Vintage module - gorgeous - thank you, HollowSun.
*Roland JD-800 - fabulous, after the statutory keyboard repair. Sooo many sliders.
*Roland JV-2080 - fully loaded, yummy.

The Virtual Analogue revival? Is that a thing?
*Waldorf Blofeld - a real synth!
*KingKorg - swapped my AN1X for this - still very happy with the deal, this is one of the most under-rated synths ever.
*Nord rack 3 - the best synth interface ever. Sold the Nova and MS2000 to pay for it.
*Novation KS-Rack - got this fairly cheap and it has some special capabilities around arps, synced FX etc.
*Roland SH-201 - nasty aliasing in the high registers, but generally an awesome sounding (in the Roland tradition) Poly.

Three decades late, the original FM revolution makes it to my house - yay!
*Yamaha SY77 - statutory new disk drive and LED display - really looking forward to getting to know this one. A very deep synth.
*Yamaha PSS-780 - a very shallow synth, a very tiny price, also looking forward to getting to know it.

And finally, because I, too, read the SOS review back in 1998, and have always wondered...
*Yamaha DJX - couldn’t resist it at £40.

So, after all this time, it’s embarrassing to admit that I can’t play anything like well enough to justify my lovely collection. What can I say? I love synths! But I may have come to the realisation that the next upgrade I really need, to really improve my sound, is to learn to play.

Now, just off to check Gumtree.... :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 am

That's the one.

The later 'reversed keys' version is not as good - especially since the controls don't transmit MIDI.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

BillB wrote:But I may have come to the realisation that the next upgrade I really need, to really improve my sound, is to learn to play.
I think most of us can relate to this... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Started off with one of those kids chord organs, this then got replaced by a s/h Sashio keyboard of some description, probably square wave analogue with rhythms and a demo song!
This got later replaces by a YAMAHA PSR6 which my gran was given.
Then the new(er) stuff got acquired. This started with a Farfisa TK84 arranger, similar to the lower/mid end Portatones', primarily went for it as it had a FDD which you could use to back-up setting or load GM files, got a dodgy key within 6 months and got a brand new one as a replacement.

Next to come my way was a YAMAHA PSR-E403, and a couple or realtime knobs that could be used for a few different function including the filter which is why I purchased it.

Now onto the more recent list (in a rough chronological order),
M-Audio Keystation 49 (sold)
Roland U-110
Roland SH-201
Behringer UMA-25S (broken/binned)
Roland S-330 (needs new floppy cable, and for me to get the tools to desolder the old one)
YAMAHA DX9
Roland RS-5 (broken/binned)
KORG 05R/W
AKAI MINIAK
Roland SP-404EX
AKAI S6000
YAMAHA HS8 organ (some PSU/reboot issues, has aftertouch even on the pedals)
Alesis VORTEX
YAMAHA PSS780
GEM S2 (1st one, never worked properly, scrapped)
CME UF70 CLASSIC V2
GEM S2 (2nd one) (it works! the FDD is a bit iffy though)
SAMSON GRAPHITE M25 (urgh minikeys but ohh so portable)
YAMAHA MOTIF XS7
BOOG
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I seem to have had surprisingly few synths/instruments over the years, although I do regret selling some of them at ridiculously low prices :(

Vox Jaguar - bought for £50 from a 2nd hand shop in Lincoln about 1972.
Hohner Pianet N - £75 2nd hand.
GEM Instapiano - £150 new IIRC.
Crumar Stringman - bought from a friend who wanted to buy it back several years later :roll:
Fender Rhodes Stage 73 - bought new.
Roland SH3A - bought for £380 new and heavily modded. I sold this for £50 in the 80's. Oh woe is me! :thumbdown:
Yamaha CP30 - this replaced the Rhodes (which I now regret selling), but I heavily modded it with a professionally milled & anodised aluminium front panel with 7-segment preset readout.
Korg M1 - my first dream synth, which I still own (and I paid the full retail price of £1500 for it using a bank loan)
Roland TR-606 Drumatix - bought from a friend, but never really got into it so sold it on.
Roland CM32-L - cheap and cheerful, for PC game soundtrack commissions.
Akai S2800i - started out buying samples on floppy disks, but then got a Syquest 270MB hard drive for it.
Korg Wavestation SR - gorgeous evolving sounds, but sold it once I'd got the virtual equivalent running in my PC.
Roland JV-1080 - was impressed by the sounds on Paul White's, didn't end up using it very much, but still have it as they have pitiful 2nd hand value (if anyone wants to buy mine, let me know, and I might then be able to fit a small Eurorack into my rack ;) )
Kenton Plugstation containing PLG150-AN (AN1x), PLG150-DX (DX7), PLG150-VL (VL-70m) & PLG150-PF- I'd still have this if someone hadn't contacted me and asked if I were willing to sell it ;)
CME UF8 - reviewed it for SOS, and it's still going strong many years later.
Mutable Instruments Shruthi SMR4-mkII - heavily modded in steampunk fashion for some unique sounds.
Korg MS-20 Mini - once again heavily modded (noticing a trend here yet?)
DSI Prophet 12 - another dream synth. Wasn't that impressed with the factory sounds, but love the ones I've created myself since buying it.

I've probably forgotten some along the way :shh:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 pm

No Hammond organ?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BillB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

DGL, the GEM S2 caught my attention. I have always thought it seemed to be an interesting synth (apparently with links to the Elka Synthex) but it’s lack of MIDI Sysex and heavy reliance on an (unreliable with time) floppy disk seemed like quite a limitation - until now. Have you come across this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Floppy-e ... SwdIBa3P3N

I have purchased USB FDD emulators for my SY77 and SQ80 from this guy (Chris Poacher of
cpmagneticmedia on eBay) and they have both worked out well. I’m guessing that such a device would make a big difference to an S2, as S2’s can boot from a floppy. Plus you deal with the reliability issue once and for all....
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 pm

BillB wrote:DGL, the GEM S2 caught my attention. I have always thought it seemed to be an interesting synth (apparently with links to the Elka Synthex)

In a rather strange quirk of timing coincidence, I read and put up an S2 review today...
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/gem-s2/1172

And I remember thinking, hmm, another one with polyphonic aftertouch...

There's one on ebay now with a large sample library...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:46 am

I keep thinking about getting one just for the poly aftertouch ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 am

My synth list would be a tad long. Suffice to say the only synth that i hankered after but never owned was the Waldorf Wave. Additionally, I nearly swapped my entire Dataton rig for an EMS Polysynth once but James Walker, an old amigo of mine, talked me out of it.
Zukan

Postby DGL. » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:41 pm

BillB wrote:DGL, the GEM S2 caught my attention. I have always thought it seemed to be an interesting synth (apparently with links to the Elka Synthex) but it’s lack of MIDI Sysex and heavy reliance on an (unreliable with time) floppy disk seemed like quite a limitation - until now. Have you come across this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Floppy-e ... SwdIBa3P3N

I have purchased USB FDD emulators for my SY77 and SQ80 from this guy (Chris Poacher of
cpmagneticmedia on eBay) and they have both worked out well. I’m guessing that such a device would make a big difference to an S2, as S2’s can boot from a floppy. Plus you deal with the reliability issue once and for all....

Not tried a floppy emulator yet. My main issue with the floppy drive is that I have a disk created with either the previous S2 or from a disk image (well it has the sample translator software on it) that works fine for saving/loading BUT I cannot format any other disks.

And as for the poly aftertouch, very good/responsive plus up to 16 splits/layers, plenty of midi/internal sounds routing options and 2 full sets of midi I/o so perfect as a midi controller.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Next