You are here

New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Postby Tonyes335 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:13 am

I made a start on the air attenuators. Still looking for some suitable fabric to cover the Rockwool lining. The plan was to lightly spray with water based lacquer but I would rather the Rockwool is covered to be sure. Once the boxes are sealed they will become part of the ceiling so will be covered with 3 layers of plasterboard. I'll get a few more images when I make the next one.

Assembling the box 1000mmx500mmx350mm. As usual all joints sealed with acoustic caulk.

Lining with Rockwool. Not quite finished waiting for fabric.
Tonyes335
Regular
This diary also on Facebook page @summerlystudios

Postby Tonyes335 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 am

I'm also working on the tracking room wall. In order to utilise some of the wasted space in the void between the two rooms I am building in some storage space. There is still plenty of air gap for isolation purposes.

The boxes above and below the window will actually be part of the wall so will be lined with 3 layers of plasterboard to maintain the wall's mass.

A view from the control room window

A view of the void. At the closet point (back of th box) it is still over 300mm of air gap.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Zukan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:40 am

Martin Walker wrote:Love that wood! 8-)

Martin

....sigh.....I thought we talked about you counting to ten before you post?
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:42 am

Zukan wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Love that wood! 8-)

Martin

....sigh.....I thought we talked about you counting to ten before you post?

But you know he always leaves out 2 to 9 when he's excited.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Tonyes335 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Making attenuators.

After the effort of sealing every joint in every layer of construction it seems a shame to make a hole for ventilation! However we do need to breathe. Every time we penetrate a layer of construction we need to limit the transmission of sound. Each room has two fresh air inlet vents, two stale air exhaust vents, then on the outer shell we have one inlet and and one outlet.

Six attenuators for each room, a total of twelve for my project.
They are quite big so I built six at a time.

They are built from 18mm MDF. Lined with 50mm Rockwool RW45, wrapped in a garden fleece 17gm2.

I used 4*60mm torx head MDF screws
150mm vent pipe
150mm top hat spigots
Acoustic caulk.
Tescon and Tyvek Airproofing tape.

In total I needed:
24 tops and bottoms 1000mmx500mm
24 sides 1000mm x 314mm
24 ends 464mm x 314mm
24 baffles 464mmx182mm

I used Sketchup to draw a cutting list to make the most economical use of MDF sheets, 2440mmx1220mm

Once I cut all the above,I used a pilot with countersink to drill all the fixing holes.
I then assembled one box at a time caulking all the joints.

The Rockwool is rigid and easy to cut with an old bread knife. I used a garden fleece to wrap each peice. I simply used a line of PVA on the back of the RWA45 to stick the fleece which when positioned in the box also kept it stuck in place. (Although I found that friction was sufficient to hold it all in place.)

The first box I made I screwed to a piece of OSB, which is the first layer of ceiling. It was already very heavy so needed the board lifter to get into place. I will cover with the cover the boxes plasterboard to maintain the integrity of the ceilings mass .

I decided to put the 4 external inlet and outlet boxes in place and assemble in position. The main reason was drilling the hole in the correct place. And the other is they are heavy enough as it is!

I made a template so I could be sure I would miss the gable end studs and the truss concealed behind the plasterboard. (I marked their position off on the wall after each layer so I knew where they were.)

The board lifter was used to help man handle the four boxes into position, and they were screwed to the gable end wall. (Caulking the screw heads)

Using a 150mm hole saw I drilled through the several layers of MDF, Plasterboard, OSB to get to the outside world. I inserted a 150mm pvc pipe through the attenuators straight to the outside. I kept a slight decline from inside to outside in case any moisture were to get in the pipe so it would run to the outside and not into the box. I used expanding foam from the outside to seal the penetration and acoustic caulk on the

Cheers,
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Another attenuator going into position.

In place

Walls getting Insulation.

Self adhesive pins for preventing fluffy insulation sagging or falling into the void.

Views of the walls with insulation.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:16 pm

This certainly seems to be a mammoth task :shock:
I shall never grumble about having to do my home D.I.Y. again :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 pm

And likewise I promise not to complain about having to get the duvets and mic stands from the garage! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby KetchellBrothers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:I am watching this with interest, as I am about to begin work on a similar thing to expand the business, only this will be for editing and mastering only, so it will all be in one c.a. 40 sq m room.

Tonyes335 wrote:I will be recording myself, friends and family. It will also be a business.

The 'Studio-for-Rent' business model works in central London, especially if you have a large live room.

Hi there! Regarding the initial post Tony, I too will be planning on recording family, friends and renting it out to bands in London. My question to 'The Red Bladder' is -

How central are we talking? If west london and on the central line but zone 4 is there a chance if I promote it and use a network of fellow musicians of getting bands in?

I totally agree that singer song writers can do it at home these days..it's the drum kit and large live room I like Tony am hoping is the selling point.
KetchellBrothers

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 pm

It certainly is, my little project is a closet by comparison :headbang:

It is an inspiration to do the best with what you have though..... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Tonyes335 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 am

More ventilation.....

The gable end of the studio, on which the attenuators are mounted, face the lane around 50-60m away. With the 150mm vent hole the occasional car can be heard as you would expect. As soon as the covers were fixed to the attenuators the sound from outside disappeared completely. Cars now pass in silence. They work amazingly well.

I have decided to mount the fresh air fans outside the building. This is really to make access for maintenance easier and I can be sure this is the quietest option. The gable end has quite a large overhang and the vents are close to the soffit so it should be an easy job to make a weather resistant enclosure.

This is the fan I am using. It is a little noisy at full blast. 44db@1m. 150mm moves around 500m3 per H which is around 10 changes per hour full blast. My duct run is very short so there will be limited static pressure in the system, so these fans are relatively inexpensive and therefor ideal.

Temporary connection of the fresh air inlet. I experimented putting the fan outside and it is virtually silent inside at full blast with a hard connection to the exterior attenuator. Set at the lowest speed it still moves plenty of air, which doesn’t generate any air rush noise at the inlet. I will be able to rely on this for most of my cooling needs this time of year. I now have given myself another unexpected job to make an external enclosure with a flexible connection to the inlet attenuator to eliminate any risk of vibration passing. Overkill, but that is generally the name of the game....

I am also finalising the air conditioning plans and should have an update next week.

To add to an earlier point, although possibly not the place, the business aspect of such a venture relies on so many factors it is not possible to suggest whether it is viable or not. Everything from income expectation, requirement to cover costs and live, to the investment in equipment etc. A few examples are owning the real estate means no rent or debt to repay, or having equipment with no debt to service etc. There is more that can be done in a studio than recording bands or singer song writers or voice overs if you need to. My motivation is to work with as many people as possible to gain more experience, so income is not the driver. Whoever I work with, at whatever level seems to add something that improves what I do. That is enough for me, oh and I love every second of it, from the spine tingling vocal to unexpected bum note!

Cheers,
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 am

Building cupboards into the wall of the tracking room. I need to house the consumer unit (fuse board) and some other electrical equipment like lighting control etc and also some audio visual and network equipment. It’s not ideal being in the tracking room so I’ll have to make the cupboard silent. More importantly the cupboard back, sides and top become part of the wall so must have at least the same mass. Therefore they will be covered in at least three layers of plasterboard. This makes good use of the potential wasted space in the large void between my rooms.
Cassette for live room wall Being made.

Cassette in place in the live room wall. Ready to be lined with plasterboard to increase mass.

Back of the cassette viewed from the control room. Cantilevered from the tracking room wall it does not touch anything. It has a layer of plasterboard outside. There’s still around 300mm of air gap between the back of the cupboard and control room studs. Plenty for my isolation needs.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 am

At the moment, making sure everything has the same mass as the walls so plaster boarding cupboards, attenuators and anything that becomes part of the mass of the leaf.

Lots of layers, each one is caulked and screw heads sealed. Remembering to make sure the screws are the right length not to go right through, but long enough to get a secure fix.

More layers. They are different in some cases as I was using up off cuts of material that happened to be the right size.

Tracking room wall.

Replacing consumer unit. All cable entries to be sealed both inside and outside.

Attenuators fully covered in 2/3 layers of plasterboard. I used sections of MDF around the spigots to help keep them securely in place.

You will always underestimate the amount of caulk you need!
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:15 pm

>dying for the latest<

I'm terribly excited for you to start tracking here, it's going to be spectacular!

I'm looking to buy a house next year and the main goal is to do something similar. Seeing your work has really gotten me fired up and I have to resist too much pre-planning b/c I have no idea what building I have to work with...

Out of curiosity - I was building contractor for a decade and suspect you've had similar experience in your day. You seem to have a skillset that includes more than sonics - care to share a bit of your background?

Lastly (thanks for your patience) This is no easy job...how many months beyond original schedule are you at this point?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for the good wishes!

My experience comes from renovating houses I lived in over the years. I started out with the intentions of being a drummer with usual Guildhall School of Music grades and thousands of hours but fell into finance so building was always a weekend hobby. This is my third, biggest but only professionally designed build. My previous rooms were successful but on this larger scale I didn't want to leave anything to chance.
The building inspector and building regs (In the UK) are a good source of information and I always check anything unusual with a structural engineer. I do tend to over research and procrastinate!
As reference material on the studio construction side, I have my studio designer on hand who has been invaluable. I used information from RA The Book and Build It Like The Pros. I have also had generous advice from people who built their studios who I have contacted.

The purpose of this thread is to hopefully entertain and inspire others as I have enjoyed many other's efforts over the years.

As this is DIY, just myself (and my father-in-law for heavy lifting duty) it has taken longer than expected. A few major set backs and changing my mind means I will be well over 2 years late.
All that said, I already have a small single room studio, a picture of which exists somewhere in this thread.

Thanks again.

Following are images of the rear 3rd of the control room. The deck is on top of the joists made up of OSB and layers of 12.5mm plasterboard. The exhaust attenuators will sit on top of this deck. The underside will be cloth faced and form part of the acoustic treatment.

I also Joined the inlet attenuators together and boarded them to maximise the attenuated air path. This is now ready for connection to the acoustic flex duct.

I am still trying to sort out air conditioning with the patience of my HVAC engineer Valdas. The delay is partly making a decision on which way to do it and partly leaving it too late for laying the concrete pads for the compressors to sit on. It is just too cold at the moment for laying concrete.

Wishing everyone all the best for the New Year!
T
Tonyes335
Regular

PreviousNext