You are here

New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: New Mac user, any tips gratefully received

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Forum Admin wrote:You may or may not wish to use this facility, but I find it very good for quick access to things.

FILENAME EXTENSIONS -- in Finder prefs, under Advanced cog icon, I'd advise checking/ticking the top Show all filename extensions. This will ensure you see .aif, .wav, .txt, .pdf, etc etc at the end of your filenames.

MAKE ALIAS -- I tend to right-click on folders and files then Make Alias (shortcut) and move/copy the alias into every place where I might want quick access. You can make as many as you like and clicking any alias will get you to that place, el pronto [will this be the new macOS nickname for the eventual Mac Pro? tee-tee...]

Sidebar options.jpg

FINDER SIDEBAR -- I also drag folders (directories) into the lefthand Sidebar Favourites (sic) of the Finder window that appears when you open a new Finder window or click on the hard drive icon -- the latter only shows on your desktop if you choose it to in the Finder preferences [command key plus comma key]. Sidebar prefs can be set up in Finder prefs too -- see screenshot. I use the Sidebar shortcut, for instance, to take me straight to my Songs folder for Studio One DAW. You can add and remove such folders, easily at any time. Very useful.

Tags.jpg

TAGS -- I use these all the time, as a fast way of seeing, say, all current versions of software in my Applications folder. I created a tag called Latest Version and assigned it to green colour, and tag relevant files. (I tend not to remove the old version when updating software, until I know it's rock solid. Studio One allows this, some apps do not.) These tags show up in the Sidebar too if you want them there - see Sidebar prefs in Finder prefs.

Items added to Mac today search.jpg

CUSTOM SPOTLIGHT SEARCHES -- you can create your own Search 'bookmarks' and one I find useful is Show all items added to Mac today -- see screenshot. More advice on Spotlight here: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25589

Top stuff, thanks! :clap:

I'm now investigating external drive options for a 2TB samples drive, and getting very bogged down. My connection options at the Mac end are;
Thunderbolt 1
Firewire 800
or USB 3.0.
Am ruling out SSD for the time being due to cost. Is 7200rpm that much of an issue for a sample drive? Because that rules out most (or all?) of the less expensive bus powered options.
Should I be looking at perhaps buying a TB3 enclosure and sticking a SATA HDD inside, and using an adapter to TB1 for the time being? Would I notice much difference against USB 3.0 for a sample drive?
Too many options!
redlester
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Suggestion: there's some good stuff in this thread. Might be worth making a sticky? Could be a home for any good tips that one comes across.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

redlester wrote:I'm now investigating external drive options for a 2TB samples drive, and getting very bogged down. My connection options at the Mac end are;
Thunderbolt 1
Firewire 800
or USB 3.0.
Am ruling out SSD for the time being due to cost. Is 7200rpm that much of an issue for a sample drive? Because that rules out most (or all?) of the less expensive bus powered options.
Should I be looking at perhaps buying a TB3 enclosure and sticking a SATA HDD inside, and using an adapter to TB1 for the time being? Would I notice much difference against USB 3.0 for a sample drive?
Too many options!

Quoting myself feels wrong, but I've had what feels a better idea.

The 2TB for the sample drive is for future-proofing. My current sample drive contains about 850GB. So I could, for now, get away with a 1TB or even 2x500GB which might make SSD an option. I assume SSD via USB 3.0 is much faster than HDD of any description/connector. I would probably have to put them on a USB hub, but assume that's OK if it's the powered type?
redlester
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

It's sticky now :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Right, seriously...this is driving me round the bend now. On this little keyboard, which does not have a delete key, how do I delete files in Finder?

I can use Fn+Bksp to forward delete text, but this does not work for the above.

I'm trying to delete the files in my Downloads folder which are now redundant. I've done it by right-clicking and moving them to trash from the menu that comes up, but surely there must be a keyboard shortcut to delete files in Finder? I've Googled it and can only find advice applicable to keyboards with an actual delete key.
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Command-backspace.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 pm

And Desmond earns another digital pint!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:And Desmond earns another digital pint!

Thanks, but I never post and drive... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:45 pm

desmond wrote:Command-backspace.

Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 pm

redlester wrote:Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?

No, it's always Command-Backspace to delete files in the Finder.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm

desmond wrote:
redlester wrote:Thank you. From what I’ve read even with the bigger keyboard I would have to press command-delete to do the same?

No, it's always Command-Backspace to delete files in the Finder.

Ok. I read wrong, or misunderstood.

For anyone reading this thread in future, if you are setting up network drives and adding them to login items to connect on start up each time, selecting “hide” next to the drive in the login options window does not prevent Finder from opening an instance for each drive at start up. If you search for solutions apparently there are ways around it using AppleScript and Automator, but I’ve left them as they are and I just close each Finder window after startup. It gives me a positive confirmation that the drives have been found and connected properly, so I don’t mind it too much. It would be a pain if you had a lot of drive connections though.
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am

For anyone wishing to relocate their user folders (Documents, Downloads, etc) to a different drive - I have moved mine from the SSD to the 1TB HDD on my Mac mini - this guide took me through it perfectly and it worked without flaws:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/01/25 ... her-drive/
redlester
Regular

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm

job wrote:I think the main difference from a user perspective is the naming of things: Program Files > Application Folder. ProgramData > system library. Appdata > user library.

Related to the naming of things, my Mac has two drives installed, and I am assuming they have been given the default names:
Macintosh SSD (256GB)
Macintosh HD (1TB)
The one labelled SSD is obviously the system drive, for applications etc.

Another tip for future newbies to avoid confusion, many if not most of the videos and articles you will find showing tips on setting up the Mac are based on machines with only one drive installed. The more recent ones will therefore talk about doing things on the "Macintosh SSD" however the older ones will refer to it as "Macintosh HD" even when what they are actually referring to is the system drive. Obviously it depends on what your individual computer is fitted and set up with.

Am still coming to terms with not having drive letters!
redlester
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm

redlester wrote:Am still coming to terms with not having drive letters!

8-) :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby redlester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

desmond wrote: 8-) :thumbup:

So I've been using it for one week, having only set up/got to know my way around the general settings and without installing any additional software yet (apart from Pages and Numbers, and the desktop element of an iOS password management app that I've been using for years) and I can report the following. Well, put it this way...

I've bought a 2 into 1 HDMI switch so I can run my PC and Mac right next to each other and switch between the two. Whenever I press the button to switch it over to PC, my heart sinks just a little! Am still assessing if that's simply because this is still a "new toy" or whatever...
redlester
Regular

PreviousNext