You are here

Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Roland Jupiter 8 restoration

Postby ken long » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 pm

That was an amazing read! Thank you for sharing.

Your attention to detail is amazing. I think the slider story is my favourite.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 am

DarrenGlen wrote:(on a side note its a shame that the editors of SOS dont feel the project is worthy of mention in the actual magazine maybe you can have a whisper in their ear??)

Kind Regards,
Darren.

The fact that it hasn't been mentioned in the magazine doesn't mean that the editors of SOS won't think it's worth mentioning.

If you are a regular reader of SOS you will spot that there are regularly articles about interesting projects, and you definitely have an interesting project. How about popping over to the SOS contacts page and emailing the features editor to have a discussion. Here's a link to the page you need...

https://www.soundonsound.com/contact

Whispering not required ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 am

Impressively obsessive though your work on the restoration is, it's too slow and sporadic to be worthy of a series of articles, not to mention being extremely niche and of limited value/interest to the wider SOS readership. However, some sort of item might be worth discussion when the work is complete.

Nevertheless, I have been following your progress and I expect some of my colleagues have too. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Impressively obsessive though your work on the restoration is, it's too slow and sporadic to be worthy of a series of articles, not to mention being extremely niche and of limited value/interest to the wider SOS readership. However, some sort of item might be worth discussion when the work is complete.

Nevertheless, I have been following your progress and I expect some of my colleagues have too. I look forward to seeing the finished thing.

H
Hi Hugh all I was thinking about was maybe a one liner in the magazines “news” and the link to the blog? The hits it is getting around the world is surely newsworthy..? Re-printing my blog as an article was never really a consideration...
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am

Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

https://jup8restoration.wordpress.com/2 ... r-cutting/
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:16 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

This part in itself is worth putting up in some highly visible place. Real craftsmen are an endangered species these days!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:06 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Hi all... a new post on Cora’s progress is up... the process of remaking the Jupiter 8 aluminium cheeks! I’ve included the laser .dwg files necessary for the job as well. Hope you like it and get some useful info out of it:

Well that was a read and a half, and very sobering! What a carry on DarrenGlen! :headbang:

I suppose we've all been down that road at one time or another, and I'm only thankful that when I got some cherry side panels made for my Korg MS-20 Mini, they were made beautifully by Matthew Dolmage of Dolmage Designs in Canada (I chose him because everyone else seemed to be at least double the price - ring any bells? ;) )

www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds3.php

He sent me in-progress photos, even letting me choose which grain I preferred from photos of several blanks he'd cut, and the only delay was with delivery, which was largely out of his hands.

I am well pleased with the results, and would highly recommend him to anyone who's interested in synth side panels or hand-built guitars. Here's a link to his Etsy shop:

www.etsy.com/shop/DolmageDesigns

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks for your comments Martin! Your MS20 looks like a beauty with those wooden cheeks. Amazing the difference it makes eh. Good craftsmanship is indeed hard to come by these days.

Does he also work with Aluminium?

Best regards,
Darren
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am

What a brilliant blog!

And a real labour of love... I binge read the whole thing up to date yesterday evening. I take my hat off to you for your attention to detail and I'm looking forward to seeing future progress.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:51 pm

DarrenGlen wrote:Thanks for your comments Martin! Your MS20 looks like a beauty with those wooden cheeks. Amazing the difference it makes eh. Good craftsmanship is indeed hard to come by these days.

Does he also work with Aluminium?

Thanks for your kind words Darren :thumbup:

As far as I know, Matthew only works with a wide range of woods - I've never seen him display any aluminium creations.

Sorry! :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DarrenGlen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
As far as I know, Matthew only works with a wide range of woods - I've never seen him display any aluminium creations.

Sorry! :(

Martin

Not surprising. Its a whole different set of tools. Computer controlled Laser cutters are not something that most ppl have kicking around in the spare room. Working with wood is much easier to do (and make look good) in your own rear workshop it seems.
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby DarrenGlen » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 am

MarkOne wrote:What a brilliant blog!

And a real labour of love... I binge read the whole thing up to date yesterday evening. I take my hat off to you for your attention to detail and I'm looking forward to seeing future progress.

Thanks Mark! I am looking forward to seeing progress as well! Getting kinda frustrated I want to play my Jupiter 8! Hehe
DarrenGlen
Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 am

Getting kinda frustrated I want to play my Jupiter 8! Hehe

That’s the thing I admire most - your pursuit of perfection rather than a short term “bodge” to let you play it. :clap:

I’m sure I’d want to play it so much I’d have mangled it good and proper :o !!

Looking forward to you playing it - please do a video of the big switch on.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am

IAA wrote:Looking forward to you playing it - please do a video of the big switch on.

+1

Short of the one in the Roland museum, it's probably going to be one of the best condition JP8's on the planet...!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby DarrenGlen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks guys. Yep no compromise on this one I decided that from the start. Part of my deal with the wife was also that I could essentially “pay as I go” with this one because of the cheaper price I paid, I’m fairly confident I could buy a mint cond Jupiter 8 for the price it will end up costing me all in the end. But I don’t have that kind of money in a heap. So I’m funding it as I’m going, which is making it at all possible. And knowing that it’s all being done properly as well.

I have also refused to keep any kind of running tally of the costs as I’m going hehe it would probably scare me or cause me to compromise on some aspect (which I won’t) and cause the wife to tell me to stop!

Thanks for all the support I appreciate it. Especially when I get things going wrong (like it did last week ...major problems I’m going to post it soon)

Cheers!
Darren
DarrenGlen
Poster

PreviousNext