You are here

Desperately need a Mic suggestion/help...

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Desperately need a Mic suggestion/help...

Postby pax-eterna » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Funny you should say that, I was just thinking that same thing a couple of days ago!
pax-eterna
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 pm

I haven’t yet heard a singer who would not benefit/has not benefited from having singing lessons.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Kutsen Burns » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:20 am

The first time I sang live years ago I was a bit rattled by the amount of sound coming off the back of the mains (PA speakers), which are of course pointing away from you. The sound behind the mains is as you describe: dull and wooly, and I would add bloated and muffled. There's a resonant kind of low/low-mid "woof" that's even more discomfiting by virtue of being -- or seeming -- slightly delayed.

Even if you have stage monitors fleshing out the higher frequencies you're still hearing a combination of the monitors and the back of the mains, so I would second CS70's advice about taking a stroll in front of the mains to get an idea of what the audience is hearing.

As for your recorded voice sounding muffled or wooly, I strongly recommend that before you buy different mics or look for an EQ solution you should try giving the mic more breathing room: Back away from the mic, turn up the gain on the mic pre (you might need more than you think to bring the level back up) and project more across the room rather than singing "to" the mic.

This works best (or better) if you're singing in a relative "dead zone" (say, surrounded by packing blankets) so you're not bringing up room modes or getting phase cancellation and boxiness, etc., but in my experience it's the best and most natural-sounding way to deal with dull, wooly-sounding vocals, and to un-muffle them and make them "pop".

Just my two cents!
Kutsen Burns

Previous