You are here

Focal Shape Twin/Shape 65 vs Neumann KH120?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Focal Shape Twin/Shape 65 vs Neumann KH120?

Postby dickiefunk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks Hugh. I've been busy trying your suggestions and have also been speaking to both Eve Audio and Focusrite tech support (who have both been extremely helpful :clap: ).

1/ When I bypass the sub and plug the Focusrite Saffire directly into the KH120's I'm getting roughly 50% more output with no increase in hiss. However, when I turn the Saffire's master volume up beyond 50% I get an increase in hiss (like when turning the System Volume up on the EVE TS108 sub beyond 50%).

2/ If I plug into the EVE TS108 before the KH120's and have both the Focusrite master volume set to 50% and System Volume of the EVE set at 50% I get no increase in hiss but the overall volume is 50% lower. However, now if I increase the Focusrite's master volume to 100% I'm not getting an increase in hiss this time and am getting the same output level as when plugging the Focusrite (master volume set at 50%) directly into the KH120's :thumbup:

There doesn't seem to be a fault just the gain staging has changed :?:
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby dickiefunk » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 pm

I also bought SOS yesterday and read the Focal Shape Twin's review and it does look very good and was a very interesting read. However, I'm not sure it's really going to be much if any of an upgrade over my KH120/Eve TS108 setup?

Really I'd love something like the Unity Audio Super Rock's, Rock mkIIIDSP or Neumann KH310 but those cost more than my current monitoring setup!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm

dickiefunk wrote:When I bypass the sub and plug the Focusrite Saffire directly into the KH120's I'm getting roughly 50% more output with no increase in hiss.

This suggests that the sub is attenuating the signal (obviously) and is the main source of hiss...

However, when I turn the Saffire's master volume up beyond 50% I get an increase in hiss

If you raise the gain of the whole system you will be more aware of the quiescent background hiss -- what's important is the signal-to-noise ratio... and to ascertain that you need to work with a constant acoustic output level. The test you've described is not that helpful and quite misleading I fear.

2/ If I plug into the EVE TS108 before the KH120's and have both the Focusrite master volume set to 50% and System Volume of the EVE set at 50% I get no increase in hiss but the overall volume is 50% lower. However, now if I increase the Focusrite's master volume to 100% I'm not getting an increase in hiss this time and am getting the same output level as when plugging the Focusrite (master volume set at 50%) directly into the KH120's :thumbup:

There doesn't seem to be a fault just the gain staging has changed :?:

As I said earlier, optimising the gain staging is key....

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound