You are here

Yamaha A3000

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Yamaha A3000

Postby cfb4 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm

which version of Kontakt are you using? Some of the releases definitely need the .1 or so update to make 'em work properly.
cfb4
Regular

Postby Waltern8tor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:24 am

Righto Fan Mod for A4000-5000 and I presume A3000

here is info I have, Very straight forward

Snip positive wire to Fan (red wire across top of PSU)
solder in 120 Ohm resistor

should probably put some heat shrink around this to prevent contact with PSU casing

Hey presto, Doneburgers

I had no overheating issues and could not hear fan, yet it shifted enough air to perform. I think Yamaha over engineered in this department.

Another tip was to decouple SCSI drive from chasis with rubber grommets or sponge. This can also make a more of a difference than you think, especially with older drives.
there is a fair amount of room in unit to do this.

Obviously these are done at own risk and will void your warranty... oh hang on...?
Waltern8tor
Regular
"In space no-one can hear you scream".

Postby Waltern8tor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 am

Any opinions on Emu E Synth samplers?
One for sale here for $350 NZ. Tempted
Waltern8tor
Regular

Postby johnny h » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:31 am

Waltern8tor wrote:I had an a5000 fully loaded. I did a mod to the fan by soldering a resistor to one of the wires, which slowed it down significantly and it ran very quiet.

I sold mine complete for 00 nz after I hadn't switched it on for a year.

It was a fantastic machine sonically, but it did have its quirks;
very slow load times, very particular about its ram ( I think I got new ram from 3 different sources on 3 different occasions before it worked properly!), and those rotary encoders drove me up the wall.

The knobs on mine don't work very well anymore. Especially the first one, which is the most important one for navigating. I don't know why they had to ruin a good sampler with some crappy knobs, slow scsi and tiny lcd.

Its got a nice dirty sound to it though, I do like it. I dug it out to play around with but my SCSI card doesn't work anymore and it was slightly less user friendly that i remember.

It felt to me like Yamaha was on the cusp of achieving the ultimate Sampler, and one more model/revision would have done it. Weren't these almost MLan capable? but they ditched it and moved on to the motif series workstations, they even used the same expansion boards as 4000-5000 series

I bought Kontact to replace it, but to be honest, the interface here is really annoying and all my attempts to simply map samples have resulted in constant crashes. I've realised my mistake too late. Possibly great if you just want to load sample libraries and tweak a little...
This isn't strictly true. Kontakt has had some seriously dodgy versions in its time but currently its very stable and incredibly powerful!

The script editor is great, the lfos can be wired up to anything, the envelope shaping is very powerful too. I'd suggest giving it another go.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am

Waltern8tor wrote:Any opinions on Emu E Synth samplers?
One for sale here for 50 NZ. Tempted

I have one and although the alpha dial eventually became faulty and the contacts got dirty (smoking in the studio kills you equipment), it is a great synth/sampler. Make sure it has the flash ram board in it, other wise it's just a sampler. I made a lot of tunes just using the sampler before DAWs took over. I paid about £3000 for mine brand new over 10 years ago, sadly it's worth a fraction of that, but $350NZ seems alright, provided it is in usable condition.

The OS is slightly slower than the Ultra series and it doesn't have the beat munging option. It takes ages to convolve a sound, but the rest of the functions are reasonably fast. I thin it takes up to 64meg.

Edit: Oh yeah the "cords" matrix editing is really good for setting up modulations etc plus it has some great filters.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby Waltern8tor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

Perhaps I am being too harsh
I see Native instruments are offering %50 off at mo
good time to upgrade
Only hitch is V4 requires OSX 10.5...
So I'll have to upgrade my OS also as I'm only 10.4
Waltern8tor
Regular

Postby Brian Moynihan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 am

Neither the A3000 A4000 nor the A5000 need the fan in my experience. I've had all of them and the first thing I do is simply remove the noisy fan. I suspect that the design of the A Series is assuming that the sampler will be hemmed into a rack case with 10 other extremely hot devices/valve preamps/compressors whatever and possibly onstage under hot lights. If you don't have it in that setting then chances are you don't need the fan. But if you wanna play it safe I guess you can go for the resistor option.

As for the A4000 and A5000, another quiet option for hard drive is a 2.5 inch laptop drive spinning at 5400rpm. These tend to be a lot quieter than big desktop drives. I put an 80gb 2.5 inch in the A5000 and it's practically silent (sans fan too). Yes I know I'm wasting 70gb of that drive but at the time I couldn't source a smaller one!

Also, the partition size possible on the A series. They are all limited to 1GB partitions, including the A3000, not 512mb. Perhaps people are confusing them with the Akai samplers which had a limit of 650mb partitions if I remember correctly.

My (now unused) A3000 still has a set of Jaz 1GB external disk cartridges and I can assure you they are full to approximately 900-950mb on each disk. The limitation that does exist however is that nomatter how large your hard drive you can't get more than 8gb out of it, and that will be 8x1GB partitions as best. Still plenty space for most people!

Putting any kind of high speed disk into these samplers probably isn't worth it as the limiting factor is the eide/scsi interface on the samplers motherboard itself. They are crushingly slow, although the A4000 and A5000 are quite a bit quicker than the A3000 when you use eide drives (yes, the eide is faster on the A4/A5 than scsi is.....go figure)

I use both on the A5000, the internal 2.5 inch drive for silent work, and periodically a backup to a 9gb external scsi drive to keep that disk in sync. I have considered the compact flash option from time to time, mainly because it would allow me to take a 3rd clone of my backup scsi disk back onto another cflash card.

----

The knobs can be replaced. I paid I think £40 for a set of 6 encoder knobs from a swedish electronics site (kept 1 spare in case one got killed in soldering) and these were soldered in as replacements for the failing originals. The A5000 has worked perfectly since.

I do agree with the comments that the yamaha samplers sound absolutely beautiful with really excellent creative effects. Yamaha were probably on the cusp of making the sampler to end all samplers, just as Akai probably were when they made Z8, just at the point that computers took over and destroyed the hardware sampler market. It's such a shame, because despite all the speed and capacity, software samplers aren't better for making music, they're just better for adding another thing you can do while sitting at your computer getting varicose veins, along with email, sequencing, surfing youtube, twitter, photoshop etc. Jack of all, master of none!
Brian Moynihan
Regular

Postby hollowsun » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Sarah Fjall wrote:software samplers aren't better for making music, they're just better for adding another thing you can do while sitting at your computer getting varicose veins, along with email, sequencing, surfing youtube, twitter, photoshop etc. Jack of all, master of none!
:lol:

Profound wisdom there, Sarah!!!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby cfb4 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm

That's funny, my A3000 will only create 512MB partitions. Says so in the manual too. Maybe I'm on an early OS and need to upgrade.

Great point about the evolution of the sampler and the takeover of soft samplers - when I'm teaching my sampling module, I call it 'the rise of the machines'!
cfb4
Regular

Postby Remeniz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I was given the A3000 V2 and I agree with everyone here that it sounds very lush and the effects are plentiful! It's great fun to use but that SCSI drive is noisy.

The V2 supports upto 8GB space with 1GB partitions.

Just a quick question. Are all SCSI drives noisy?
Remeniz
Regular

Postby AustenaLeu » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:21 am

Aha congrats! I'm also using the same one. Its really cool.
AustenaLeu

Postby johnny h » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:18 am

Remeniz wrote:I was given the A3000 V2 and I agree with everyone here that it sounds very lush and the effects are plentiful! It's great fun to use but that SCSI drive is noisy.

Old hard drives are noisy and can be unreliable too. However it is possible to use flash cards instead - which are silent.

This thread explains how.
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... o=&fpart=1

Good luck!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:35 pm

johnny h wrote:
Remeniz wrote:I was given the A3000 V2 and I agree with everyone here that it sounds very lush and the effects are plentiful! It's great fun to use but that SCSI drive is noisy.

Old hard drives are noisy and can be unreliable too. However it is possible to use flash cards instead - which are silent.

This thread explains how.
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?

Cat=&Number=832924&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Good luck!

That's a link to this thread.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby midierror » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Hey all
I've just pciked one of these up with hardly any knowledge on it. If anyone has any useful links for disk images, sysex info and possibilities of using SD cards and the like - it'd be appreciated!

Cheers
Chris
midierror
Regular

Previous