You are here

Acoustic Panel Design

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Acoustic Panel Design

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:39 am

Thomson_Thomson wrote:Were you not concerned about load on the ceiling with that panel?

The cloud absorber is fixed to the ceiling joists.

I screwed eyelets into the joists and the absorber frame then fixed them with these. Same for the wall mounted panels.

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Thomson_Thomson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:51 am

I haven’t drawn the roof stuff on yet, except for the electrical layout (in another drawing).
To be honest, I was just going to experiment with foam panels until I got the desired effect but a cloud panel above is definitely food for thought.

The goal of this studio is to finally be able to reclaim my gear out of the loft which was put there to make way for my new born son last year. We had just moved in to our new house and the room that was earmarked for a music room is now his bedroom.

Initially I only wanted to play and do some small scale recording of my own stuff but a few friends in the know have shown great interest in this project and have convinced me to broaden my horizons a bit and take a few folk in for sessions.
This for me is quite exciting as I’ve never really recorded anyone else before and it will definitely be a big challenge at first. But without getting too carried away, the studio needs to be ready first.

That’s a good idea for hanging the panels. There are also heavy duty saw tooth picture hooks for the wall stuff too.
Thomson_Thomson
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:29 pm

If you're planning to record in there, definitely take a gradual approach to adding treatment. You don't want to end up with a recording environment that kills all the top end, otherwise you'll end up adding a load of reflective surfaces back in.
A reasonably common approach is to have a 'live end' and a 'dead end'. The dead end is generally where your mixing will be done and you can record at the live end (or however far down the room gives you the best compromise).
At which point it's worth emphasising again that anything you do in a standard domestic sized room is always going to be a bit of compromise, but you should still be able to get very workable results out of it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:09 pm

You'll probably benefit from putting corner bass traps in in the two rear corners, but if you really need the storage and the coat rack in those positions, then you'll have to do without. Though you might consider trying to fit in some 1/2 or 1/3 height corner traps if possible. It all helps, as the bass end is always the area that's hardest to tame and suffers most from standing waves.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Thomson_Thomson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:53 am

After some good advice from you guys, I've had a play around with the drawing again.

Side panels in the 'live end' have been removed and will be added after the room has been finished. It might even be worth making the side panels portable so that they can be placed when & where needed. This would also free up some wall space to hang guitars etc.

Coat stand removed. This was just there for aesthetics more than anything else.

Corner trap near the door added.

1/4 size corner trap above the storage area added. Storage is important and I really don't want to lose it. I could always panel treat the cupboard doors if they really need it

Cloud ceiling panel added to the 'dead end'. Exact placement position still TBD.

The two side panels in the 'dead end' have been left in but I fear that they may be too narrow (340mm) although it isn't a problem to alter the sizes. The heater would have to be moved a bit.

Thomson_Thomson
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Does the storage go right up to the ceiling? If not, you could add a trap across the ceiling/wall corner. Bass traps don't have to be vertical.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Thomson_Thomson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:13 pm

No, James Perret, there would be a bit of a gap at the top. Solutions! :thumbup:

I was just thinking earlier about doing a horizontal trap on the desk wall too.
Thomson_Thomson
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 am

And look again at your corner bass traps, you are really over-complicating things with your current designs.

Search this site and the broader web for superchunk bass traps and you will get a good idea what people are talking about.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Thomson_Thomson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 am

Holy crap, Andy. You're right!
The corners are the result of having too much time on my hands as we are very quiet in work at the moment. ;)
I would still want them to stick out of the wall with a bit of a lip so I can fit LED strips though, especially at the desk end.
I've seen some designs where all they have done is knock up a few pieces of 15mm beading to the wall then stack the rockwool until the void is filled, followed by a bit of fabric to make it easier on the eye.
Thomson_Thomson
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:29 am

Thomson_Thomson wrote:I've seen some designs where all they have done is knock up a few pieces of 15mm beading to the wall then stack the rockwool until the void is filled, followed by a bit of fabric to make it easier on the eye.
My concern with this approach, I'm sure someone can enlighten me, would be that eight foot of rockwool weighs a lot, and the stuff at the bottom may end up so compressed that it doesn't actually provide any absorption. Breaking up the vertical dimension with a couple of triangular shelves would mitigate this.
But it may be an unnecessary concern?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am

blinddrew wrote:
Thomson_Thomson wrote:I've seen some designs where all they have done is knock up a few pieces of 15mm beading to the wall then stack the rockwool until the void is filled, followed by a bit of fabric to make it easier on the eye.
My concern with this approach, I'm sure someone can enlighten me, would be that eight foot of rockwool weighs a lot, and the stuff at the bottom may end up so compressed that it doesn't actually provide any absorption. Breaking up the vertical dimension with a couple of triangular shelves would mitigate this.
But it may be an unnecessary concern?

I've seen larger corner traps divided into sections like that. The RW3 Rockwool I used to build my panels/traps was dense enough to support itself in the corners for the size that I made, but a narrow space and a window meant I had to step the angle back only a few feet up. If I'd have been going floor to ceiling with a 45 degree design I'd have added a couple of shelves for a bit of extra support.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 am

If you take a standard 1200mm x 600mm slab of RW3 and cut it into 4 triangles and stack the triangles floor to ceiling then, for a room in a modern house with a ceiling height of 2.35m, the total weight of the column will be approx. 25kg. The bottom triangles will deform but I don't expect they will compress to such an extent to significantly alter the acoustic properties - however, the column be unstable as a learnt when I installed mine. It's like a giant game of Rockwool Jenga.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:06 pm

I knew clever people would be along shortly to answer the question...
:)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Following this closely and with great interest since I will be doing this after Christmas early next year.

About the corner bass traps:

Isn't it better to let the rock wool sit on a distance from the corner walls as to increase its absorbing efficiency?

I saw an SOS article where Hugh and Steve helped a guy building some absorbing panels using a wooden frame with rock wool and some high density mat to increase bass absorption. Would it be good for a corner panel bass trap as well? It had auralex foam on the front and I thought they looked nice like that...

Cheers!
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ocal-booth

And it was Hugh and Paul btw...

Found this on YT as well:

https://youtu.be/fiJ6mI450c4
Humble Bee
Regular