You are here

First show - 8 acoustic guitars!!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: First show - 8 acoustic guitars!!

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:46 pm

WRT di boxes, as Hugh says, passives are not suitable for raw piezo pickups. Orchid Electronics sell an active DI for only £25 (including postage within the UK). I have three and they work pretty well for acoustic guitars. They do require phantom power as there is no battery option.

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/micro.htm

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Sound-On-Sound_Orchid_DI_Boxes_review.PDF

Oh, and well done by the way :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm

As most of those acoustics will have on-board pre-amps with EQ controls (normally bass middle and treble), it may be worthwhile getting the tutors checking that before they go on stage that they are either set flat or with a small degree of mid-scoop. At least you'll then avoid excessive bass boost or random peaky settings from the guitarists who never normally play amplified but may play around with their faders.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Those damn tone controls on acoustic guitars are hated by most right thinking sound guys....... I work with a singer guitarist who refuses to sing loud at the soundcheck (he's saving his voice for the gig!) and "likes to leave a bit in hand" on his guitar volume...... Drives me mad......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby trouserpressface » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks everyone for your great advice and suggestions - I've learnt more in this one thread than in days of trawling the web!

I've agreed to do another one of these shows in 8 weeks, so I'm going to make sure I'm prepared this time, with proper stage cabling, a few active DI boxes and a list of exactly what the guitars are that are going to be on stage so I know how to treat each one.

And the suggestions about how to 'manage' the sound of the players during the performance are really good, some wise heads here.

Thanks again.
James
trouserpressface
New here

Postby Hewesy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Just a thought, if it becomes a regular thing how about getting hold of a rack multi DI?

Keeps the cable runs between instrument and DI short, you could stash it onstage and it gives you easy to access DI's for future gigs/bigger bands too.

e.g. https://www.studiospares.com/Microphone ... 603200.htm

I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I will have a better suggestion.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:58 pm

Been there and done it, we had an 8 way rack DI but, TBH, separate DI boxes are much more versatile and 8 x Orchid Micro DIs costs a few quid less than the one linked to. Ask yourself, how many times am I going to have 8 guitars close enough together to run into one box? I doubt we ever used more than 3 or 4 in that rack at any one time (and still need a couple of separate DIs elsewhere on the stage.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I got one because I was working with a band who had a set of 3 keyboards which they wanted to run in stereo. I could put this by the keys & the acoustic guitar used it too - 8 way loom - very neat.

Then, 3 or 4 gigs later the chap swaps to a single keyboard with balanced XLR outs. I don't think I've used the 8 way box since......

:headbang:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr R » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:37 pm

trouserpressface wrote:And the suggestions about how to 'manage' the sound of the players during the performance are really good, some wise heads here.

I forgot to mention the MUTE button :bouncy:
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Dr R wrote:
trouserpressface wrote:And the suggestions about how to 'manage' the sound of the players during the performance are really good, some wise heads here.

I forgot to mention the MUTE button :bouncy:

Has anybody designed one for drummers yet?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:50 pm

You normally just plug their chair in. It can get a bit noisy for a few seconds, but then blessed silence.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hewesy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Been there and done it, we had an 8 way rack DI but, TBH, separate DI boxes are much more versatile and 8 x Orchid Micro DIs costs a few quid less than the one linked to. Ask yourself, how many times am I going to have 8 guitars close enough together to run into one box? I doubt we ever used more than 3 or 4 in that rack at any one time (and still need a couple of separate DIs elsewhere on the stage.

Good point, and if you attach them with Velcro they can be easily removed for another part of the stage...

Just a thought.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:43 am

Wonks wrote:You normally just plug their chair in. It can get a bit noisy for a few seconds, but then blessed silence.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster