You are here

Behringer Model D

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer Model D

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Well, guitar player that I am I've just succumbed to SAS and bought a Model D. Now to work out WTF I'm gonna do with it.

Back in a former life (it seems) I was manager of a guitar/gear department in a well known piano and electronic organ retailer. Down in my aptly named 'gear cellar' I had a Hammond C3/Leslie set up with a MiniMoog on top. Couldn't really play it (apart from a couple of little demo pieces) but it was fun pretending to be Rick Wakeman, but in a suit and tie :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Perhaps you need to replace the suit and tie with a cape Sam, to get yourself properly into the mood? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MarkOne » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:....fun pretending to be Rick Wakeman, but in a suit and tie :headbang:

:bouncy:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Where did you get that picture of Sam?

;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:03 pm

:clap: The rather straight laced management would definitely have frowned on a cape......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Behringer Model D :- On the subject of keyboards

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:53 pm

I have just bought an Arturia KeyStep, it is a beautifully made bit of kit with midi I/O, USB midi I/O, and CV/Gate/Trigger outputs. It has a 64 step polyphonic sequencer, an arpeggiator and two very nice ribbon controllers in lieu of pitch and mod wheels. But (and for me it' a big but) it has mini keys.... I thought I would be able to get on with them but after half an hour's fiddling I'm not convinced I am.

So, any suggestions for a midi controller keyboard with 37 or 44 full sized keys, not too many extra controls (superfluous for the Model D). I could probably just about live with 32 (which the KeyStep has) and 49 is definitely too big (I have a Roland Juno-D with 61 keys so the space saving of a 49 is not worth bothering with).

It must have DIN midi out and midi over USB (I guess I can live without the CV/Trigger outputs if I must). I'd prefer pitch wheels or the lovely ribbons of the Keystation over the joystick on the Juno-D but I love the action of the Roland.

As you know I'm most definitely not a keyboard player, all my very limited skills were learned selling home organs back in the '70s
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Re: Behringer Model D :- On the subject of keyboards

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:As you know I'm most definitely not a keyboard player, all my very limited skills were learned selling home organs back in the '70s

Sam back in the '70s...

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Bugger, I thought I'd buried that one :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Well the KeyStep has gone back, I decided I hated the minikeys with a vengeance so any suggestions for a midi controller (Din and USB) with 37 full sized keys and mod/pitch wheels (or ribbons)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm

I looked recently (in conjunction with something on another thread) and there are very few such beasts that actually have a hardware MIDI output, as most seem to have just USB or have mini-keys. And you often get more keys and extra features than you want.

I'd suggest looking down the selection here. Unfortunately you can't filter on full-sized keys, but at least all these have MIDI ports and pitchbend/modulation controls.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/master_keyboards_up_to_49_keys.html?feature-11791=true&feature-11796%5B0%5D=1x%20Out&feature-11796%5B1%5D=1x%20In%2C%201x%20Out&feature-11796%5B2%5D=2x%20Out&feature-11796%5B3%5D=1x%20In%2C%201x%20Out%2C%201x%20Thru&feature-11799=true&filter=true&oa=pra&price-first=0
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BillB » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Quite a nice potential mini controller keyboard is the Akai Miniak
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/akai-miniak

They tend to show up for £140-170, which means you may be paying for stuff (sounds) you don't need. But my recollection was that the keys (velocity, no aftertouch) and wheels were nice, plus there is an arpeggiator which I think is assignable to MIDI. No USB, but you could add that with a MIDI-USB interface.

Just a thought.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks guys, useful suggestions.

I did consider a Miniac a while ago, that might be a good option (the synth engine could be pressed into service I'm sure), and the Miditech i2 at Thomann could also be a option. Both have stuff I don't really need and the lack of USB (more for programming than midi I/O TBH) is the only thing that stops the Miniak being a no-brainer.

Going to look at more modern modelling synths, 37 keys is the sweet spot above which I would take the Roland Juno-D. I could find a use for some keyboard sounds too (though as a guitar player I'll only use a keyboard for the odd simple part like bagpipe drones or similar).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby dwebb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Just noticed a new 1.1.0 firmware update. Release notes here:

http://downloads.music-group.com/softwa ... v1.1.0.pdf

I don't have Gordon Reid's review to hand but I think he mentioned a retriggering issue when playing fast lines which they possibly have addressed in item 4 below:

1. New Synth Tool app for easier configuration of the MODEL D via the USB input.
2. Added new Mac OS support.
3. Improved the Poly Chain function to make it easier to setup and use.
4. Improved re-trigger reliability when playing with legato notes.
dwebb
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 am

Nice, thanks for the heads-up!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.