You are here

Future proofing old files

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Future proofing old files

Postby Funkyflash5 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 pm

I export stems as wav files, and then keep them in folders per track/album, if I'm archiving something as a work in progress or likely to be remixed if used. Otherwise I just export the finished stereo wav and it goes with the rest of the old stuff on to a separate external drive that is kept at home, and an extra internal drive on both the studio machine and my home one, such that to loose anything there would have to be simultaneous disasters at both locations. that said, I'm also considering adding a cloud storage solution after hearing about a friend who had his main drive fail and a backup program mistake it for the files being deleted intentionally such that the backup mirrored it and cleared the whole drive. He was only saved by having a 3rd backup in the cloud to fall back on.
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:55 am

Watchmaker wrote:@desmond...dude, you are dedicated!!!

Not really, I just don't want to lose irreplaceable stuff, and like having it available.

For instance, preparing for a move, I had a few boxes of cassettes, so I sorted them out into good/not good tapes, and stuck a pile to dump into the computer next to it, and just changed tapes until it was done. (I could then sort out the recordings at leisure). Result: Got rid of more physical stuff, haven't lost anything, and have safely backed up the content.

That's all my archiving really - going through physical media, uploading the stuff I want, binning the rest, and then sorting it out bit by bit once it's on the hard drive. I still have some stuff to go through - I've only digitised about 1/3 of my old video camera tapes, for instance - so I'll probably get on to moving that forward a bit over the Christmas period.

Any large task is usually easily broken down into small steps - you just need to make the next step as frictionless to do as possible, and keep doing the next step until the whole task is done. :thumbup: It doesn't really matter if it takes weeks, months, years, whatever...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I really do need to sort out all my data. I have a mirrored raid array but should also use a cloud backup - I have one set up and it just needs me to sort thing into 'must have' and 'meh' folders ...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Dave B wrote:I have a mirrored raid array but should also use a cloud backup
I can recommend Backblaze. It is limited to storage devices physically connected to one computer (i.e. not a network drive), but that's not such a big problem if you configure your system to comply.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby FrankRaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 am

Assuming you use midi with hardware synths or VSTi's in whatever DAW you use, a good habit to get into is to export your tracks as MIDI files when you're done. While you may not be able to open your DAW files in years to come MIDI files hopefully will still be universal.
FrankRaz
Regular

Postby Dave B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:22 am

That's a good point Frank. I transferred a lot of stuff from Cubase to Logic using a combination of audio export and standard midi files. I wish I'd had the sense to do it when I had Atari files...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Previous