You are here

Monitor stands?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Monitor stands?

Postby Humble Bee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:50 pm

My pair of Genelec 8010 (the tiny ones) could do with some kind of stands so that they sit a bit higher and align better with my ears.

Would it be a good idea to have them made out of stone? Like square pillars of granite say 10-15 cm high? And stick on some self adhesive rubber feet...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Humble Bee
Regular

Re: Monitor stands?

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Some of us like these products:

http://www.isoacoustics.com/

I'm very happy with mine...

They do a whole range so make sure you get the ones that are right for your monitors.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Humble Bee wrote:Would it be a good idea to have them made out of stone? Like square pillars of granite say 10-15 cm high? And stick on some self adhesive rubber feet...

It depends on what the stands are going to be standing on!

In the perfect world, the best idea is to hold the monitor speakers rigidly in space so that the driver chassis and cabinet can't move at all. That's generally the format for large soffit-mounted speakers, and large stand-mounted speakers -- assuming the floor is solid. This requires a lot of mass and very rigid structures.

But if the mounting surface is lightweight and potentially resonant (like a table or shelf) , it's usually a better idea to provide a damped suspension of some kind, so that the speaker is held in a reasonably stable way, and any vibrations are isolated from the mounting surface.

This is where foams and cunning sorbothane-type designs like the Isoacoustics mounts come into play... and the Isoacoustics are extremely good provided you match the speaker weight to the stand correctly.

So, in your case, granite slabs would have quite a lot of mass so could provide a stable un-moving base if they are themselves placed on a very solid surface, and the Genelecs have isolating feet anyway to minimise the passage of vibrations... so it could work well... but if the surface the granite sits on is a lightweight shelf I'd probably just go with something like the Isoacoustics mounts.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you for your replies gentlemen!

The isoacoustics stands look nice but even the smallest one seems too big for my tiny 8010's. I will investigate this further.

And the rubber stands on the gelenecs themselves do provide a sufficient damping even when the speakers are on a desk or a table most of the time. I just need a bit more height. They don't put out much bass anyways.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what solution I find.

:thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:54 pm

I've got my monitors raised a few inches on bricks. Cheap and seems to work pretty well. Just remember to stick some felt on the bottom bricks so as not to scratch the desk.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.

Postby Jadoube » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But if the mounting surface is lightweight and potentially resonant (like a table or shelf) , it's usually a better idea to provide a damped suspension of some kind, so that the speaker is held in a reasonably stable way, and any vibrations are isolated from the mounting surface.

This is where foams and cunning sorbothane-type designs like the Isoacoustics mounts come into play... and the Isoacoustics are extremely good provided you match the speaker weight to the stand correctly.

So, in your case, granite slabs would have quite a lot of mass so could provide a stable un-moving base if they are themselves placed on a very solid surface, and the Genelecs have isolating feet anyway to minimise the passage of vibrations... so it could work well... but if the surface the granite sits on is a lightweight shelf I'd probably just go with something like the Isoacoustics mounts.

H

Yes... I just use a simple Ikea childrens toy storage shelf to hold my speakers and they sit on Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers... and it works practically speaking very well. Could it be better? Always. But I rent and I end up re-building my studio every couple of years. This is a flexible good sounding compromise.
Jadoube
Regular
David

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:22 pm

As an alternative, I tend to use the non-slip mesh matting designed for kitchen use rather than felt!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As an alternative, I tend to use the non-slip mesh matting designed for kitchen use rather than felt!

H

Worked a treat in damping mechanical resonance emanating from out BluRay player! :thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As an alternative, I tend to use the non-slip mesh matting designed for kitchen use rather than felt!

Yes, that's a thought.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
For more information please re-read.