You are here

Guitar folk are different!!!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Guitar folk are different!!!

Postby Guido3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:15 pm

A vague subject line I know but felt I would share my experience with some of you.

I play keyboards and have done for 40 years. Growing up in the late 70’s/early 80’s was a great one of you like synths etc....... I spent far too much of my time in music shops in my area playing a lusting after the latest/greatest synths. Guitars just didn’t do it for me.

Move on 35+ years and I now have a family. My daughter is Grade 7 sax and Grade 7 flute so doing rather well. My son is just starting his musical journey on the guitar. Since starting playing he has been desperate to play an electric guitar. We both listen to and watch various band and Toto is one of his favourites. Steve Lukather is his hero!!! So on Friday we popped into a music shop in Nottingham to have a look at what they’d got. The tech side for me was good as usual but when we stopped to talk to the guitar guys, my eyes were opened. What a great bunch. I stood talking whilst they set up an electric guitar for my son to have have a go on. He was in his element (He actually made quite a good noise too which I was very surprised about). The guys in the shop showed us some some Van Halen licks and one of the chaps even played the guitar solo from Rosanna for my son. He hasn’t stopped buzzing since.

I realise this is going to cost me!! The setup suggested was going to come in at around £150 inc a small amp so not wallet busting by any stretch. I have never had a problem spending my money on musical gear. For the amount of pleasure it has given me it is worth every penny. Both my kids are now enjoying their instruments and I intend to do everything I can to support it.

The chap in question is Dan from PMT in Notts. If he happens to frequent this forum and reads this then thankyou. You have gained a customer who will probably spend far too much money with you!!!
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: Guitar folk are different!!!

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:38 pm

Nice story Guido3. My youngest started much like your daughter and went on to become a full time French Horn player (and semi pro bassist), my eldest is a decent (but bedroom only) guitar player. Giving your kids the gift of music making will reward them (and you) all their lives (though not always financially :frown: ).

Most music shop employees are enthusiasts (I was one for a good few years back in the day) and are happy to talk but it's always nice to get some feedback from a happy customer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 pm

:thumbup:

What a great experience. And don't worry, eventually your son will be buying his own gear :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Don't bank on it :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Nice tale. :thumbup:

You do realise that he'll want a Music Man Luke and a Bogner amp stack for his next birthday?

http://www.stevelukather.com/artist/gear.aspx
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Guido3 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Wonks wrote:Nice tale. :thumbup:

You do realise that he'll want a Music Man Luke and a Bogner amp stack for his next birthday?

http://www.stevelukather.com/artist/gear.aspx

The salesman showed me a Steve Lukather guitar. Came in at a cool £3500 :shock:
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:00 pm

Start saving! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Actually the Sterling by Music Man Luke is a really nice guitar and a lot cheaper than the full-fat US version. https://sterlingbymusicman.com/pages/luke. Still around £1k though.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Wonks wrote:Actually the Sterling by Music Man Luke is a really nice guitar and a lot cheaper than the full-fat US version. https://sterlingbymusicman.com/pages/luke. Still around £1k though.

Agreed, the sterling are really good stuff!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:44 am

+1 for Sterling, plenty of guitar for your money.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra