You are here

Recording Classical Piano on a budget!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recording Classical Piano on a budget!

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:16 pm

And, as I said up-thread, these recordings are destined for his YouTube channel.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Willett » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
John Willett wrote:I still say that the OM1 are the best to go for - even with an upright as they capture the bottom end better.

If money is really tight, then economise on the interface. A mic. stand and stereo bar can be had pretty cheaply - these tend to be a bit on the fragile side for lomg term stage use, but atre fine for recording if you treat them with care.

But I would not compromise on the OM1.

Of course you wouldn't John. You're a man who only uses the very best and is working at the very top of the classical recording market.

Yes; we all seem to recommend the OM1 but the OP doesn't have the budget - and has clearly said so. If he spends £260 on his mics what sensibly can he do with the remaining £40?

Using a decent handheld recorder and buying some decent cans and a mic stand with the balance is probably the best than he can achieve at the moment. If he buys a recorder with XLR mic inputs and semi-decent preamps than he can maybe upgrade to external mics in the future should he wish to do so. But he may be perfectly happy with what he gets from a carefully placed all-in-1 recorder. :)

Buying direct the OM1 is £96.63 at currect exchange rate.

And I suggested buying a cheaper interface if money was tight.

But the OM1 punch so far above their price it's really not worth going lower in price.

Most portable recorders have directional mics - or mics of a far far lower quality and a directional mic. won't pick up the bottom end of the piano so well.

If you go cheaper it will be more expensive in the long run.

I'm just trying to advise the OP how to get the very best value for his money, and going a little over the £300 budget will bet something that will last instead of something that will last just a short time.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm

So if you can get a pair of OM1s for about £200, a Behringer UMC202 will cost you about £60, £40 will get you a couple of mic stands and cables: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... music/2HC3.
That's your £300 and the only thing you're lacking is your headphones.
You could do it all for £300 of course, but you'd be taking a significant step down on your mics which, as John has been at pains to point out, you may well regret later on down the line. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:51 pm

John Willett wrote:Buying direct the OM1 is £96.63 at currect exchange rate.
You forgot the 25% Swedish VAT plus whatever difference in exchange rate your credit card company uses to rip you off. So still almost the same as the £130 each from Pinknoise Systems in the UK.

So you are back to £40 for everything else.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Timeout!

The OP hasn't been heard from since his initial question on Saturday morning....

Perhaps we need to stop trying to get quarts out of pint pots until he lets us know his thoughts on what's been said thus far... and if he really does only have a pint!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm quite sure a lot of very high-quality piano recordings have been made over the decades with cardioid mics -- and enjoyed just as much as those made with omnis!

So while a cardioid mic might not have quite as good a bass extension as a good omni, its really not that big a difference and it's not make or break between an award winning recording and something that's totally unlistenable!

And while a recording setup based around a laptop, usb interface, and separate named mics might be capable of making decent recordings, so too are many of the compact all-in-one recorders when used appropriately... And the latter are a lot cheaper and far more convenient in many cases.

For YouTube video soundtracks of an upright piano in a non-treated space, I'd opt for a portable all-in-one recorder without a moment's hesitation -- and especially for use by someone concentrating more on on playing and performance than technical recording.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:The OP hasn't been heard from since his initial question on Saturday morning....

Shame if he's another one-question-wonder, though it has been a very interesting discussion, I have to say.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'm quite sure a lot of very high-quality piano recordings have been made over the decades with cardioid mics -- and enjoyed just as much as those made with omnis!

Phew, that's a relief.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 pm

Just picking up on CC's comment...

I've come unstuck before when I stuck too rigidly to the 'classical piano = omnis' mantra.

It holds true as long as the space is good. If it isn't and you have to record there then carefully placed cardioids can, to an extent, lessen the room artefacts.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous