You are here

Let’s talk about CHIPTRACKERS and writing Chiptune music!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Let’s talk about CHIPTRACKERS and writing Chiptune music!

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Quick update: I am steadily working my way through my first Chiptune arrangement! It's a cover of a rather well-known song and hopefully my version will do it justice. (I will have a live singer singing over it) I am still very much in the "note entering" stage; I will still have to go through everything and apply "effects", like panning (?! lol). The balance is pretty good thus far and I am getting the knack of entering values in hex!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I am getting the knack of entering values in hex!

:thumbup: :o

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Oh, one thing that drives me up a wall is when I enter the perfect series of notes (it's a much bigger adjustment going from horizontal to vertical note values than I thought it would be) only to find out that I had the wrong instrument selected and have to go back and edit the instrument value!! Grrrr!!! lol (#FirstWorldProblems)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby martin_demsky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm

I also love chiptune music, although i am classically trained musician (piano, accordion, music theory, later composition on conservatory), i started in year 1991 to create my own compositions on 8-bit computer ZX Spectrum 128k (Soundtracker, SQ Tracker, Sample tracker) with AY-3-8912 soundchip and 8-bit DA converter in 8255 parallel port (for samples).

It was great times at the beginning with cool scene people, diskmags, demos, soon i switched to Amiga 1200 where we developed our first games The Strangers or Napalm (i was composer), and since 1998 i was introduced to video game musicians mailing list (owned by Andy Barnabas), but i strongly battled to respect our chiptune music past, because some composers said it was bleeps and blops up to now.

Next 10 years i was focused on big orchestral libraries almost like everyone in the industry, or i spent some years to learn new synthesis like VAST from Kurzweil, but now i am also back for chiptune with two Nintendos (nanoloop mono, lsdj) and with Commodore 64. On C64 i began in great tracker Sid Duzz It (btw, SID chip is far far more advanced than Nintendo's on DMG-01), but i played two years ago at event Demobit where was Goto80 and since then i am slowly learning more live oriented tracker defMON, and believe me, you can be with this tracker something like live coder of sid chip because you have big separate screen with all sid parameters and you can change everything you want in realtime. Although i am pretty good at hard things since i understood VAST synthesis, this is really challenging quest.

Happy new year and good luck with chiptune!

Yours Martin Demsky
martin_demsky

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:35 am

Martin Walker wrote:There's loads of it on YouTube Ben ;)

Here are some of the Commodore 64 tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... walker+c64

Martin

Martin - I knew you had been involved in the scene back in the day but I hadn't realised to what extent! I was heavily into the demo scene (mainly on the ST but I consumed tracker and chiptunes from all over the place) back in the 80s/early 90s and just had a wonderful hour or so trawling through your various works on youtube - absolutely masterful! :clap: :clap:

Based on some of your comments previously in this thread I've added something to my 'to do' list involving some analogue synths and a hardware sequencer ... the technique intrigues me and I hope applying it in the 'modern' sense will prove quite rewarding!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks for the compliments Eddy - it does all seem an eternity ago now, but I still get the occasional emails from complete strangers thanking me for apparently enhancing their childhood computer game years :angel:

One very useful discipline that has remained with me from those days is making the most of what you've got equipment-wise - most computer soundchips were comparatively primitive, yet with some lateral thinking and plenty of ingenuity you could squeeze a lot more out of them than many people expected.

I've continued to use this approach during my subsequent sound designer years, even when the resources at my disposal were comparatively vast, and have been able to explore many fascinating alleyways and peculiar end points with lots of synths, simply because I always strive for the unusual. Extreme parameter values or combinations of parameter values can yield many unexpected results if you're patient 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DavyP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:49 am

I've just spent far too long listening through a load of your tunes Martin, great stuff. Back in the day my computer progression was Spectrum+, Amstrad CPC 6128, Amiga, so I have fond memories of the music and Trackers from that era :clap: :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks Davy - several years of work went into those in total, and I'm proud that people still seem to remember some of them ;)

Ironically, I may well be asked to create a few more C64 music tracks this year, having updated my music driver to add a bucketload of new features 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Awesome! Do keep us posted!

And here's my first chiptune; any feedback is welcome! This was recorded using the Twisted Electrons AY3 chiptune module, some eurorack, and two outboard synths (TX7 and JP-08). Everything except for the right-hand synth was recorded live; I had to overdub the last synth because I can't play two synths at once. =p

https://soundcloud.com/user-669037407/r ... ter-type-1

This is the first song for a new project I am working on, DRAGON'S NEST III: OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK. It's the soundtrack for a JRPG that doesn't exist. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Quick update to this thread.

Since I obtained the AY3 module, I added a second AY3 to it and the XOR NerdSeq tracker sequencer. The NerdSeq is based off of the LSDJ tracker but does a few extra things and is actually quite powerful!

So, I now have two skiffs: one dedicated to 'modular music' with quantizers, LFOs, etc, and one for 'chiptune music' with the NerdSeq, 2xAY3, Boomstar Oscillation, and Disting Mk4.

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:54 am

Woo - that looks (and hopefully sounds) impressive Ben! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:26 am

It sounds pretty massive! Now to do it justice...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:10 am

It really looks good! Except for these Christmas lights, they can be dangerous... ;)
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Related to chip-music (and also tracker-style low-res sample stuff) in general: http://codef.namwollem.co.uk/index_non_ios.html

Nostalgia galore :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Must examine more thoroughly later, but I'm pleased to see that it's remixed music rather than ripped game copies :headbang:

Am currently enjoying this one:

http://codef.namwollem.co.uk/africa.html :thumbup:

Remember before you tut-tut at the extreme panning that the Amiga positioning choices are only hard left or hard right ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous