You are here

Click track revisited.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Click track revisited.

Postby mick.n » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm

It has been over 18 years since i last put a click track down for a drummer to follow & my memory is not as good as it could be.

I have a backing track(s) that has got certain keyboard parts programmed (the track is an audio file) that has a click track also as an audio file.
Problem is, the click track sounds very nasty & would like to change it to a midifile based click track to enable me to use a different sound for the click.

Question is, can an audio click track somehow be changed into a midifile click track? I use Cubase V6.5 on Win 7.

Many thanks. :)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Re: Click track revisited.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:19 pm

I'd assume Cubase has some kind of audio to midi plug-in doesn't it? Something that could be used for sample triggering for example?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 pm

I thought all DAWs had a click track accessible outside of the channel/track modules.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:39 pm

A straight forward metronome is not the easiest thing to follow (as you say they sound horrible). I remembered there was an article by a drummer discussion this very issue and a quick search found it :D https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/creating-click-tracks-drummers
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

You can ask Cubase to tempo-detect the audio click track to generate a new Tempo Track.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm

If it's just a simple ticking in time without any tempo changes, I'd be inclined to start again and just throw something together with a MIDI loop and a percussion sample.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Sam, that's a great post. Thanks for dredging that up
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm

mick.n wrote:can an audio click track somehow be changed into a midifile click track? I use Cubase V6.5 on Win 7.

It's a while since I used v6.5, and can't recall the details from back then, but there's an extract MIDI function built into Cubase's Variaudio. The manual should tell you what you need to know about that...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby mick.n » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Thank you all for replying, I tried the variaudio process that Mixedup mentioned.....all it did was extract a few random notes here & there.............had a good giggle on hearing the result. :lol:

Also, some of the backing tracks have been recorded "freely"......to put down a click track to these would mean recording myself tapping away on a keyboard triggering a click sound on one of my boards for the duration of the backing track.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:35 pm

VariAudio isn't the tool for this. Just do a tempo detection on the audio click track. If you don't have one, then tap a MIDI keyboard along and use the tapped MIDI notes for the tempo. The manual covers creating tempo from tapping.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby djangodeadman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am

Alternatively, you can use hitpoint detection on your audio click track and then create midi notes from your hitpoints. Use the midi track that you create this way to trigger whatever sound(s) you want.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Any suggestions how to do this in Reaper? I want to extract a beat map from a rhythmic audio track.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Hmmm, I'll need to go back to an older project and work out what I did Sam. I was adding a snare drum sample to a not-tracked-to-a-click recording and just used one of the stock plug-ins.
Won't get chance to check for a couple of days though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Alba » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Any suggestions how to do this in Reaper? I want to extract a beat map from a rhythmic audio track.

I use this method.... https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=14737

But isse from the top of that thread that the SWS extensions chaps have found a better way that I haven't yet tried but looks slicker...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=118061
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby babaorum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:59 pm

But in Cubase you can assign a sample 'high' and a sample 'low' to the clic in the click configuration , did you see it ? (maybe I didn't have right understood :smirk:
babaorum
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

I think I'm going to go a different route and use Reaper to drive the synth via midi from the start. Seems that will be simpler to achieve.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:05 pm

I used the JS: Audio to MIDI Drum Trigger plug-in. Might be worth a stab? I found it surprisingly effective without needing any other gating or 'owt like that.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 pm

Ooh that sounds worth a try :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Alba » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:21 am

A Mic on the floor when you're jamming and just tap your boot on the '1' or whatever's appropriate will provide a nice audio click you can easily convert to midi later, a quick clean up of the bits where one becomes more excited and there's your tempo mapper track.
Alba
Frequent Poster