You are here

Singing help!

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Singing help!

Postby CS70 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:24 pm

garrettendi wrote:
....or my family just didn't want to hurt a young boy's feeling.....

Haha well there’s different expectations from a child to a grownup. But anyone can learn to sing, you have no problems there no matter what others say.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 pm

There are people who cannot sing but they are rare. I've only met about three such in my life. I'm yet another who left school believing they couldn't sing. I was very lucky in that I got involved in the folk scene in the early 70s, a time when there was a huge amount of egalitarianism when it came to singing and a lot of encouragement to do so - a characteristic that is still present to a significant degree in folk clubs even today. If people expect you to sing, well, you end up singing.

Having said that, once you've started singing you still need to improve and for that you might need help. Singing teachers can be good. I was lucky in that I came under the influence of one Frankie Armstrong while she was still developing her ideas. At that time she taught a style of singing derived from the Balkans that basically involved giving it full on welly. I cannot recommend that too highly. If you can sing with some power you can always wind it back, but you can also belt it out when you need to. Singing, say, a sea shanty with a full-throated holler is a lot of fun.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:03 am

That’s a very important point that CC is doing, which I’d completely forgotten.

When i started singing “for real” I distinctly noticed how big difference it was making to be able to sing loud at the studio or in rehearsal. In a normal home situation you just don’t, it sounds silly and probably will ear some reprimand from your manager.. pardon, wife. :)

But - at least at the beginning - most people sing low and with no confidence and that makes much harder to hit and keep the notes. Loud is the way to go!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 am

CS70 wrote:Loud is the way to go!

Yep. You've got it. I have no problem with my wife because she also is a graduate of the same school of singing.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 am

When, in the past, I've given advice to aspiring singers (and be assured I'm not a great singer, merely competent at best and I only achieved that relatively late in my career) I've said "open your throat and sing out". I can't remember where I heard that but I'm sure I didn't invent it, either way it works for me and I do get by these days singing solo+guitar and in a duo and lead in my band.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous