You are here

New Keystep will not connect via USB

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

New Keystep will not connect via USB

Postby chipsngravy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello all,
I received my brand-new Arturia Keystep couple of days ago and I can't get it to connect to my imac, pc or laptop, the pc n laptop are Windows 10, iMac is Mojave.
The Keystep powers up, it runs through a quick sequence, lighting up all buttons when first plugged in, then settles on the "clear last" button.
I have installed the midi controller centre (MCC) several times on all the computers. i have tried several different leads, but the Keystep does not show up in MCC or on midiox, or in logic Pro X. I can plug my cheap, unbranded, midi keyboard in (purchased many moons ago) and get an instant connection in logic X.
I'm getting to the point of returning the Keystep. I have been in touch with Arturia and tried everything they have suggested with no joy.
Basically I have two questions:
1. Am I missing something very obvious, to the rest of Keystep uses, in the setup? It seems, when I do a search on the web, that you just plug in and go.
2. If I'm not missing something is it worth getting a replacement or are there known issues with the usb midi connection with logic X, imacs and windows 10 that don't well reported.

All input and help will be much appreciated, I'm fairly new to the synth/keyboard/midi world, coming from a guitar background so it is more than feasible that I'm missing an obvious step in the set up.
Thanks all.
chipsngravy
New here

Re: New Keystep will not connect via USB

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:28 pm

I wish manufacturers would clearly state what version of USB their devices are, but there's nothing in the Arturia manual to say whether it's USB 1.1, 2 or 3. I'd expect USB 2, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

It does seems like it's faulty, though it could always be the lead (if you haven't already tried using another lead).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby chipsngravy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks for the very quick response Wonks, much appreciated. I have used several different leads with no luck. Arturia did say to use a usb input in one of their responses, basically I tried every port on all the systems and got nothing.
I purchased it through Amazon so there should be no issue returning it and giving a replacement a go so I might go down that rd.
All suggestions are very welcome though. Thanks again for the input.
chipsngravy
New here

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Somebody else here must have one, so you could wait a bit and see if anyone else comments.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby chipsngravy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Cheers Wonks.
Deffo, I'll give it sometime, the Amazon returns policy gives plenty room.
Here's me thinking I'd be running the "Stranger Things" theme arpeggio thro the Logicx retro synth within minutes of getting the Keystep out of the box, and all it brought was problems.
chipsngravy
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Do you have an AI with MIDI ports? If the Keystep won't even communicate that way I would say for sure it is faulty.

I have had a number of cheap (wtgr) bits of MIDI kit during my son's formative PC music years and they all connected pretty much bish-bosh to any of the machines around. XP then W7.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I had a Keystep for a couple of days, no trouble with midi via USB to the Mac or DIN to my Model D so I'd send yours back for a replacement. FWIW I sent mine back 'cos I didn't get on with the mini keys, everything else about it was great and if it had had a full size keyboard I would have kept it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby chipsngravy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Great response folks,
I have now tried an "old school" midi out cable out of the Keystep into my AI (UA-25 EX).
Nothing appears to be coming through. Tried MCC, Audio Midi setup (iMac) and Midi monitor app.
Nothing doing. It's at this point one starts thinking down the road of clean installs of OS etc. Hardly conducive to ones creative flow...

I have just plugged my old keyboard back in (it is a Carillon 49 control, I thought it was unbranded) through usb, powered by and playing through the usb port.
It has been seen and picked up by all software including Logic Pro immediately. So I think it's back to Amazon with the Keystep, i'll not give up completely though. I will try a replacement as it has features I like, if it was working.

Thanks to all who have helped, I have to say the response was, quick, helpful and friendly i'll keep you posted on the outcome
Cheers!
chipsngravy
New here

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Arturia probably suggested this already but is there a bunch of keys to hold down to restore the unit to factory default? Just in case they sent you a used unit that someone else was messing with.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby chipsngravy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 am

Yes, I have tried this a few times, it definitely goes through a different start up process but with the same result. It's the Oct+/Oct- buttons together as you power it up. Three handed job since there is no power on switch.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
chipsngravy
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Hope the new one works!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby chipsngravy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Should arrive tomorrow, I'll keep you all posted
Cheers
chipsngravy
New here

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:54 am

What a bummer situation... :yawn: Who will have the freight costs?
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby chipsngravy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Fortunately it's Amazon, so free delivery plus free returns. Just goes to show we do get good service now and again.
The replacement is expected today and I've not sent the other back yet. Hope it works.
Cheers.
chipsngravy
New here

Postby chipsngravy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello all,
As promised,
I can report that the replacement Keystep worked straight out of the box. It was immediately picked up by the MCC and instigated it's own firmware upgrade. I Switched into logic x, retro synth and got instant playback.

A Couple of things.

1 the lead supplied with the new Keystep was completely different from the first lead. It is longer, better quality and it had the little cylinder attached, I think it's some kind of filter. It raps around the wire about 4-5cm from the small connector.

2 The box the second Keystep arrived in was in much better condition than the first , obviously pointing at the fact the first one was already a return. I had not noticed this at the time of unboxing the first one.

3 The most interesting thing though, and here I am utterly confused. I tried the original Keystep through the new lead and it worked! so I tried it through it's "old" original lead and it... worked!!?
It was almost as if once MCC had seen Keystep2 and had synced with it, then it had all the information to work with any Keystep including the old one.

I had tried the original Keystep with several different leads when I was originally trying to get it to work (none of which were duff) but could not get it to function.

I can only conclude that there has to be some kind of start up signal that MCC and the iMac must receive, that the first Keystep was not sending, to make the software/OS see the device.

Anyway the old one is going back tomorrow.

I have entertained myself by running the Stranger Things sequence. I now have most of the weekend to familiarise myself with all the Keystep's goodies.

So it remains to say thanks to all for your input, suggestions and help, it has been much appreciated.
Thanks All.
chipsngravy
New here

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Nice to hear that has been solved, have fun!
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:21 pm

:clap: :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:11 am

The little cylinder will be a ferrite bead for suppressing noise: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby chipsngravy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:16 am

Thanks BlindDrew I'll have a look at that.
chipsngravy
New here