You are here

Avantone MixCube - which is preferable, Mono (1 cube) or Stereo (a pair)?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Avantone MixCube - which is preferable, Mono (1 cube) or Stereo (a pair)?

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Jorge wrote:On some commercially mixed songs in which I can hear the bass lines reasonably well on a laptop speaker, I sometimes find the need to make 5 or 10 dB cuts in the low and midbass when playing them through live PA speakers with even modest subwoofers.

But that to me is a classic sign of a poor mix that doesn't translate across different systems.

A good mixing engineer should still be able to create the 'bass heavy' experience on a club track without that same mix sounding wimpy on ear buds, and vice versa.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jorge » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:43 pm

I agree, that is a poor mix. But that doesn't stop people from liking the hyped bass, and even asking for it back when I EQ it down enough that you can actually hear the vocals and piano!
Jorge
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:47 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Jorge wrote:On some commercially mixed songs in which I can hear the bass lines reasonably well on a laptop speaker, I sometimes find the need to make 5 or 10 dB cuts in the low and midbass when playing them through live PA speakers with even modest subwoofers.
But that to me is a classic sign of a poor mix that doesn't translate across different systems.
+1

Jorge wrote:I agree, that is a poor mix. But that doesn't stop people from liking the hyped bass, and even asking for it back when I EQ it down enough that you can actually hear the vocals and piano!
Then you either do what you feel to be right, and have the confidence to sell that to your client; or you do what they want, smile and walk away from it. Professional audio is about so much more than the technical chops...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm

The Elf wrote:Professional audio is about so much more than the technical chops...

So true ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous