You are here

Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Recoding quality sound mic-mixer-pc

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:00 pm

I may be missing something but you need only record the vocal to the computer, the backing track is digital and can be dropped into the DAW later. It's easy enough to line the vocal up with the backing track in post production. It's still not dead easy to achieve with a cheap mixer, many of them only record the stereo outs but if you can find something that can take it's inputs as the source rather than the outputs it would be doable.

If you are recording to hear/see what your performance looked/sounded like a separate stereo recorder in the room would be much simpler though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Planning on getting a second hand one. That was if the job dose not work out I can resell it and have not lost any money

What do you think of this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALESIS-Multi ... ect=mobile

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:00 pm

If I've correctly understood what you want to do, then I think that will do the job.
But if I haven't then it might not! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:05 am

As Drew says it will record what you are sending to the speakers, but it won't let you record the vocal on a separate track from the backing. If that will do what you want then it's fine.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am

Wot they said... and as I said, recording a live mix is rarely satisfactory. But it's your show! :)

Now, the mic... Unless you're singing full-on rock then these days there are much better mics than the SM58 for similar or less money. The Sennheiser e 835, 840 and 845 are well-respected here for the quality and openness of their sound - as is the AKG D5.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am

The recording is indeed the 2 mixer together

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am

About the mic now....
What I was told is the sm58 was the industry standard, and suited to rock songs as well.
I do have a few rock songs to cover though
But I don't understand what you mean by full on rock and why it would make a difference?

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 am

music master wrote:About the mic now....
What I was told is the sm58 was the industry standard, and suited to rock songs as well.
I do have a few rock songs to cover though
But I don't understand what you mean by full on rock and why it would make a difference?

Different mics respond better to different types of voices...

So an SM58 will still cut it (more or less) with full-on metal-type vocals from a strong male voice. It's not particularly well suited for less forceful deliveries and ballady/folky type material. It's response is tailored for good 'cut-through' in a busy/loud mix. Unless you have cacophonous backing tracks you don't need that sort of sound. A more transparent 'open' sound may well better suit your lyrics and delivery.

It's true that for many years the SM58 was 'the industry standard'. These days even for rock there are mics that produce a 'better' sound for more or less the same money.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:17 pm

To enlarge on that, 'Industry standard' simply means the one most commonly used, it doesn't mean 'best sounding'. The SM58 is robust, relatively inexpensive and has a 'presence peak' which helps it remain audible in a loud live mix. Occasionally it is also the right sound for recording a particular voice singing a specific genre in the studio.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:51 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Wot they said... and as I said, recording a live mix is rarely satisfactory. But it's your show! :)

Now, the mic... Unless you're singing full-on rock then these days there are much better mics than the SM58 for similar or less money. The Sennheiser e 835, 840 and 845 are well-respected here for the quality and openness of their sound - as is the AKG D5.

I'm still not so sure how you determine voice types? Do yo mean vocal mode petogogy ?

Those mics listed above are they suited to belting?

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 am

music master wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Wot they said... and as I said, recording a live mix is rarely satisfactory. But it's your show! :)

I'm still not so sure how you determine voice types? Do yo mean vocal mode petogogy ?

Those mics listed above are they suited to belting?

It's my fault :blush: but I think you're now over-thinking this.

What I've tried to convey is that an SM58 isn't a one size fits all microphone.

For softer, gentler voices - male and female - singing gentle ballads and folk the purity of the vocal sound is key to the appreciation of the music.

For louder, strongly rhythmic songs with a strong drum and bass beat and vocals that are projected forcefully then a mic with a different characteristic would often be employed.

The SM58 is designed to be held very close to the mouth - almost touching the lips - and for songs where vocals are very strongly projected. If your predominant style is not rock and you prefer to have the mic further from your face then another mic may better suit your style and way of working.

It's more subtle than sop, alt, ten, bass... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

But there are different styles to songs that require a different voice type approaches
Example would be 2 songs I have covered, one by Adel (belt mode dark sound) and one by the be gees (fasseto bright sound)

Probably best keep it safe and go for the sm58 anyway

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that, in my opinion, the SM58 is a good choice where you don't know the voice or the system being used. Yes, there are often better sounding mics but I've known plenty of cases where the supposedly better sounding mics have sounded very bad with the wrong voice or the wrong system. In my experience the SM58 always sounds acceptable and it is often the sound that people have come to expect from amplified vocals.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Good point, well made! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:40 am

On another forum this kit was recommended to me as a starter kit

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_pract ... ndle_1.htm

Look at the mics, there are 3 of them
T bone mb 60

PreviousNext