You are here

Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660 and FL Studio?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660 and FL Studio?

Postby jazz242434 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660, MacBook Pro and FL Studio Signature with all plugins package and when I'm in need of secondary Keyboard so that both my sister and can use the keyboard at the same time?

I'm very hesitant to spend $3.5K on Kronos when I already spent $800 on DGX660 and $800 on FL Studio Signature + All Plugin package. I do not have a need to travel with my Keyboard. I do not perform Live shows. I'm a Piano leaner who started 3 years back and trying to learn or compose my own music. But I do have a need to have secondary Keyboard so that my sister can also use the Keyboard at the same time when I'm using a keyboard.

Should buy a Kronos or better buy a MIDI within $500 or buy some low priced Synth Keyboard?

Should my secondary keyboard should be weighted keys and 88 keys? Not all the time both my sister and I will need a Keyboard at the same time.

I'm not interested in analog synths.
jazz242434
New here

Re: Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660 and FL Studio?

Postby Mudbucker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:37 am

Why are you even considering the Kronos? Will this second keyboard only be playing software instruments inside FL Studio or does it need to have it's own sounds like your DGX does?
Mudbucker
Poster

Re: Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660 and FL Studio?

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:48 pm

If you don't know why you might want a Kronos, then you don't need it, at least not right now. I would say that the best thing to do is to hold onto your money until you find something that you want to do that your current configuration doesn't allow.

The Kronos and the DGX-660 are vastly different devices for vastly different purposes.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

jazz242434 wrote:Should I buy Korg Kronos or Some MIDI when I already have DGX-660, MacBook Pro and FL Studio Signature with all plugins package and when I'm in need of secondary Keyboard so that both my sister and can use the keyboard at the same time?

Do you want a Kronos or are you asking if you should buy one?

The only reason to buy anything is because you feel you have a need or desire for it enough to justify the money it costs.

There is no 'should' involved in that decision though. For the money you could get a lot of less expensive gear which you may ultimately find more to your needs.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby jazz242434 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm

The Elf wrote:If you don't know why you might want a Kronos, then you don't need it, at least not right now. I would say that the best thing to do is to hold onto your money until you find something that you want to do that your current configuration doesn't allow.

The Kronos and the DGX-660 are vastly different devices for vastly different purposes.

Okay, I decided not to buy Kronos. Thinking of following options
AKAI MPK 261
Arturia KeyLab 61 MKII
Nektar Panorama P6

In terms of hardware, all three MIDI looks almost similar, right? In terms of software, seems to differ a lot.

MPK261 comes with VIP3.0 - I don't understand what this is exactly. Is it a host for plugins? Why do I need this if I have FL studio and FL Studio can host plgins?

KeyLab comes with Analog Lab - I never used it but looks like a very good plugin for FL Studio

Nektar P6 - Comes with no software that is not free?
jazz242434
New here

Postby jazz242434 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm

hmmm MPK261 contains phthalates? If yes, what is alternative similar to mpk261 but doesn't contains phthalates
jazz242434
New here

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:30 pm

jazz242434 wrote:hmmm MPK261 contains phthalates? If yes, what is alternative similar to mpk261 but doesn't contains phthalates

What??? :headbang:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:28 am

[My original comment here may have been misjudged - I've removed it on the slim chance it was]
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 am

jazz242434 wrote:hmmm MPK261 contains phthalates? If yes, what is alternative similar to mpk261 but doesn't contains phthalates

Many plastics contain phthalates. If in doubt, ask the manufacturer, we can't really advise on that and manuals won't tell you either way.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am

Unless they are sold in California :headbang:

California Prop 65 Warning This product can expose you to chemicals including Phthalates, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-Professional-MPK261-61-Key-Controller-/362402667218
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 am

But everything causes cancer depending on the dose. There are also many hundreds of variants of Phthalates, some of which can cause damage (normally to young children) in high sustained doses. Almost every plastic has Phthalates in.

But do you plan to lick the keyboard? You need to ingest them to do you any harm.

Do you worry about your existing keyboards which undoubtedly will have some in the plastic mixture?

Do you have drinks from plastic containers or bottles? Phthalates.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Logarhythm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Wonks wrote:But do you plan to lick the keyboard? You need to ingest them to do you any harm.
Isn't this how everyone uses XY pads / ribbon controllers? :?

Prop 65 is a well intended but poorly executed (and poorly understood) piece of misguided nanny-statery IMO :roll:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby jazz242434 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Wonks wrote:But everything causes cancer depending on the dose. There are also many hundreds of variants of Phthalates, some of which can cause damage (normally to young children) in high sustained doses. Almost every plastic has Phthalates in.

But do you plan to lick the keyboard? You need to ingest them to do you any harm.

Do you worry about your existing keyboards which undoubtedly will have some in the plastic mixture?

Do you have drinks from plastic containers or bottles? Phthalates.

I get it. The only worry is my sister is 6 years old. I don't still it is a big concern but a little bit concerned. By the way, which of those three MIDI is better?
jazz242434
New here