You are here

Playing MP3 alternatives ?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Playing MP3 alternatives ?

Postby Listener » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:59 am

Hi I've a lot of MP3 files on file that I'd like to save and then play without burning to disc, are there any alternatives thanks ?
Listener

Re: Playing MP3 alternatives ?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:38 pm

The world is awash with dedicated mp3 players and mobile phones that can play mp3 files, as well as hundreds of software players for all computer platforms and streaming hifi file players. And they've all become so routinely used that I'm struggling to comprehend why you would be asking such a basic question.

Nevertheless, I've approved your first post here on the assumption of naivety rather than spamming.... Hoping you dont prove my good natured generosity wrong!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Listener » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:04 pm

You're safe total non techie and happily still firmly happily rooted in the 20th C so no smartphones and all the rest of the stuff just a pc and a mobile phone which all suits me fine as life's too short anyway :D

I finally got around to converting all my old 50s and 60s cassette tapes recently which as I said are about 5 gigabytes. I was thinking about buying a Walkman but wondered if there was anything better these days ?
Listener

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm

I had an older Walkman MP3 player and it was very good quality. But back then it used a proprietary to USB connector and when that went missing, I was stuck.

Even now, they seem to use a non-standard USB lead, but at least there seem to be quite a few leads available from Amazon or eBay (so you might want to buy a spare one just in case).

Cheaper than equivalent iPods. Some of the more expensive ones (£140 or so) have an SD card slot, so you can expand the internal memory to whatever size you want (no limit on the card capacity in the Sony manuals). Something you certainly can't do with an iPod. The one I'm currently looking at (Sony NW-A45) can replay up to 32 bit 192kHz files of various types and the headphone output has a 20Hz to 40kHz bandwidth. Obviously cheaper models have more restrictions.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Kwackman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Listener wrote:I finally got around to converting all my old 50s and 60s cassette tapes recently which as I said are about 5 gigabytes. I was thinking about buying a Walkman but wondered if there was anything better these days ?

A couple of queries - how did you convert your cassettes to MP3?
Are these files are on your PC?
If so, the program that you used to convert to MP3 can probably also play them back?
There are a few assumptions I've made there, so do correct me so others who know about PCs can advise you. (I'm a Mac user)

You mention a Walkman, does that mean you only want a portable player?
If so, I'll bow out as I've no ideas of the MP3 player market outside iPods.

IF you are doing more transfers in the future, may I suggest you convert the audio to WAV files first, then you can do a batch convert to MP3.
The reason is the MP3 files will have "compressed" the digital audio data (it'll still probably sound great though, so don't worry too much), but WAV files won't have thrown ant data away, and could be more useful in the future if you decide to do any processing to your audio.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Kwackman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:40 pm

{OFF TOPIC}
Wonks posted while I was typing my masterpiece.
In the past I would see a warning when I pressed the "post" button that someone else had added to the conversation, and I could read it before deciding whether to print my post or abandon it. I'm certain I didn't get that warning this time.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:56 pm

The way for me is to stick them in a cloud service and use my smartphone to effectively carry *all* of my music around with me everywhere I go. I can Bluetooth it in the car, or plug in headphones as I feel the need.

No need for iTunes, Windows Media Player or any of the rubbish. There are freebies, but a decent player is worthing paying for. I like CloudBeats, but there are others. Most cost less than the price of a London pint.

It sounds as if you're probably averse to this kind of technology, but it really is very simple and makes life taste good!

( It will be a pity if you've gone through converting your collection then resigning it to MP3 - I'd recommend a lossless format, such as FLAC)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 pm

There are so many choices these days. I think most people use their phone - certainly that's what I do and every phone I've had in the last 12 years or more has been able to play mp3's. If you just want it to play music you can probably pick up an old, outdated phone for next to nothing, leave the SIM card slot empty and just use it as a music player.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Kwackman wrote:{OFF TOPIC}
Wonks posted while I was typing my masterpiece.
In the past I would see a warning when I pressed the "post" button that someone else had added to the conversation, and I could read it before deciding whether to print my post or abandon it. I'm certain I didn't get that warning this time.

It seems to work for me - it warned me about Elf's post when I posted the message above.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 pm

I've assumed MP3s (from the thread title) but they may well be wav files or some other format. Or they may have been imported as .wavs and you've then converted those to mp3s (and at what bit rate?).

How expandable do you want a player to be? You've converted your old tapes and got maybe 6Gb. But do you plan to add to your collection? If sop, the storage requirements can soon add up, especially if you use higher bit-rate mp3s for better audio quality (which probably wasn't worth t for old tapes).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Listener » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Lots to go though thanks very much !! :thumbup:
Listener