You are here

Prices of the sm58 mic

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Prices of the sm58 mic

Postby innerchord » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Does the OP want an SM58, or will any cheap mic do?

If it's the former, just go to your nearest store and buy one. 'Shurely' that's obvious. Why try to save just a few pounds? You'll get a keen price, help a local retailer and have a nice box and printed receipt to help prove that it's genuine if you have to sell it.

If you want a '58 clone, there are usable mics from many well-known companies at half the price of the Shure.
innerchord
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:07 pm

The OP is quite clear that he wants an SM58. I have discussed other options with him, but he prefers to stick with an SM58.

Probably best not to open that discussion again. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:08 pm

:D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:53 am

Just to add further I want a used sm58 at half the price of a new one
So I guess 30-40 quid would do

Postby BigRedX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:39 am

Are you sure you want to buy a second hand microphone? I can understand it for some esoteric model that has never seen use outside of a studio and has a 4 figure price tag new.

But an SM58? Have you seen what happens to a typical SM58 in use? It's not nice:

Most are abused until they can no longer be economically repair and then are replaced with a new microphone. The only way I would buy a second hand SM58 is if I knew exactly what sort of use it had gone through before being sold.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby AlecSp » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:29 am

music master wrote:Just to add further I want a used sm58 at [rather less than] half the price of a new one
So I guess 30-40 quid would do
That'd be a great bargain for you. Unfortunately, we have to remind you again, that your £30-40 "SM58" is very unlikely to be the genuine article.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:46 am

music master wrote:Just to add further I want a used sm58 at half the price of a new one. So I guess 30-40 quid would do

I think, being realistic, it's unlikely you'll find what you seek. Genuine SM58s tend not to come up as second-hand items because they last forever and are always useful. So even if someone upgrades to a better mic, the old SM58 tends to be kept as an emergency spare or in case an extra mic is needed at some point, not least because they are such a well-known and reliable product. The sale value is generally outweighed by the ongoing usefulness value.

But if you are determined to find a low-cost sm58, please do search the web for articles on how to spot fakes first -- such as the one I linked earlier -- so that you are equipped to identify whether your potential purchase is all it claims to be!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

I can only agree...

I'm still in PM contact with music master so am aware of some of his broader thinking.

As a result and because of his comments here about what he'd like to pay for a secondhand SM58 I had a quick look at what's on offer on EBay... A very C+ collection... bruised, battered and dented or simply too good to be true.

He definitely doesn't want anything but an SM58, but I fear if he isn't very careful he'll end up with either a pup or a fake.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am

Given that a new one is only £90, it will last a lifetime, and it won't come with someone elses's chinese takeaway splattered throughout the grille, I'd recommend saving up a few more pennies... :D

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am

A few years ago Synthtopia had a link to an arty performance that consisted entirely of a female performer producing a sort of feedback sound by putting the microphone in and out of her mouth (I am trying to describe the performance tactfully). My wife suggested that after the performance she could have probably have sold the mic for much more than it was new.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:30 pm

I guess if it's used on a wireless circuit and being used on big jobs where the singer is engaging the audience or drunken karaoke night then it will get bashed about

But if it's being used on open Mic or quiet pub scrooning jobs where it never leaves the Mic stand only to be popped back in its box then it should be ok

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:53 pm

If it's your own mic then how well it's looked after is up to you. It is almost inevitable that a stage mic will sustain some wear or even damage if it is used regularly but SM58s are robust and can continue working even after considerable abuse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95U7wxPQZdE

Buy a new SM58 and, as long as you continue singing live, it will have a place in you gig bag (and, if you do need o sell it, a good used example with a receipt to prove you bought from a reputable dealer should be worth maybe £20 less than you paid for it new).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm

music master wrote:But if it's being used on open Mic or quiet pub scrooning jobs where it never leaves the Mic stand only to be popped back in its box then it should be ok

That's the theory, the practice is generaly quite different. But you'll probably find that out for yourself.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dan LB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Sorry but you’re looking at buying some NEXO subs which aren’t really going to help with your current rig but won’t fork out 90 quid for a mic? :headbang: :?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 pm

No Dan, that's another new poster @gsc1ugs who seems to have resolved most of his issues.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Ah apologies! Those threads have been melding into 1 in my head :headbang: :headbang:

Carry on :lol:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 am

:D Mine too.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am

Those Vulcans get everywhere with their mind-melds :bouncy:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 am

Mike was right when he said you will get 2 different answers on this forum
I will be collecting my mixer tomorrow so will be an interesting topic there I can imagine.
I no longer use other forums for technical related advice, just seem to be full of people who know very little and spend there time criticising and condemning the hard work of others as opposed to studying training practicing learning ect, i.e. Blue room and home recording the term trolling springs to mind!

Now back to the sm58.
Reasons I have been so keen on it because one, I was told it has the best quality sound and two, it would suit my voice type for heavy rock.
I was not bothered about its reliability and durability though. But now I read that the road M1 is the equivalent to the sm58 but cheaper.

Well I don't know what to read half the time with all these little different stories from different people saying that one Mic suites one person's voice but not someone ellses visor versor. There dose not seam to be any real hard evidence on voice classification regarding micropones

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:23 am

You're right, there isn't. When it comes down to quality of sound, it is all subjective.

There are some technical measurements that are useful, such as frequency range and the polar pattern of the microphone. If there's a frequency response chart, that can tell you a certain amount as well, once you learn to read them - but you also need to know that they are idealised and smoothed out, and there are manufacturing variations that means even two identical mics can sound a bit different.

Then you come to personal preference and also the playback system. If you are singing live, then the quality of the PA will play a part. A PA speaker lacking in treble will sound better with a mic that has a lot of top/end frequency boost. But on a better PA that has a good treble response, that extra brightness may come over as too harsh sounding. Yes, you can do some tailoring with EQ on the mixing desk, but generally people tend to run live desks with the EQ fairly flat and only use any significant EQ to solve problems.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

PreviousNext