You are here

Folder-based music player for Mac?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Folder-based music player for Mac?

Postby Deleted User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am

Hello everyone,

This has been driving me insane and I’m wondering if anyone here has solved this problem before.

I have a large library of music organized by folder. Every folder is a separate album and contains either FLAC, APE or CUE. I need a player on Mac that can browse this structure and automatically give me the right playlist when I click on a folder. It should be able to do gapless playback.

On Windows I just use foobar2000. On Mac, everything I have tried (Clementine, Swinsian, Audirvana...) fails spectacularly. The only thing that sort-of works is Clementine and it still epic fails when I try to play cues.

I feel like this has got to be a fairly common and trivial problem but I’ve been searching for an hour and haven’t found any good solutions. Any Mac audiophiles solved this problem before?

Thank you!
Deleted User
Regular

Re: Folder-based music player for Mac?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm

I think VLC should be able to do what you want. It's free too. It can understand just about every file format there is so that shouldn't be a problem. I have my mp3s organised in folders and it works fine with them.

Start VLC and click on Media Library. Then drag the top level folder from Finder onto the Media Library panel. Now when you click on the folder you should find all your subfolders and files arranged nicely within it. If you double click on a subfolder VLC will play its way through all the files in it.

Edit: having said that, I don't know what a CUE file format is so if I'm wrong about that one, sorry. Still it won't cost you anything to try and VLC remains an excellent, well supported player.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Cue is a metafile, not an actual compressed music format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_(computing)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm

I use JRiver Media Center, on PCs, Linux and Mac OS. It's highly configurable and has regular updates, although not freeware.

There is a trial version so it may be worth looking at.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Wonks wrote:Cue is a metafile, not an actual compressed music format.

OK then. From a thread in Another Place:

Cue files were originally used with CD burning software but they're recognised by a variety of programs including VLC (on a PC you'll need to right click on the .cue file, choose Open With... and then choose VLC).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm

The OP was back with a spam post. He quoted his original post and added spam links inside the quoted text to try and sneak them past, He's banned now and I've changed the name of the poster so we can remove the spammer from the back office.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:04 am

Hm. Quite a convincing original post, suckered me. May the OP suffer from extreme bit rot. Thanks, Andy.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby 3rdConstruction » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:53 pm

Yowza! :!:
And here I thought Deleted user was a cool forum name... :tongue:

Still, the replies are quite helpful as I've been interested in looking for an alternative to iTunes. I mostly read rather than post and I have to say the forum regulars are always a helpful bunch.
3rdConstruction
Poster
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.