You are here

Looking for old school Punk/New Wave mastering engineer

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Looking for old school Punk/New Wave mastering engineer

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:That sounds interesting. I will def check him out. And you too :-) What punk songs did you master..Can i hear them somewhere? (BTW, all of your clients list on your website are dead)

I'm afraid I'm not so good at keeping the website current. :oops: I'll PM you with some info.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby robin746 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 pm

Mutt Lange's production work on The Fine Art of Surfacing is a thing of beauty. Loved it on release and love it still. But it's also down to the dense arrangements and songwriting skill of the band, who were at the top of their form. Luckily I saw them on this tour.

The compact disk masters suck unfortunately. Brick wall at its worst.

But I agree with the others. You're not going to get "that sound" with mastering.

Your song seems to have the basics in place but the mix is a bit lifeless. Undertones are indeed a better reference point plus you have that punked-out rockabilly feeling working for you.
robin746
Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm

Good to have a fellow Norwegian resident :-)

As other have said, mastering (done properly) has little to do with the sound of a record. Don't know where you got the idea, but it's wrong.

The sound is in the arrangement, the mix, and even before - especially for punk - in the performance and the recording.

Now for punk is especially so: forget mastering, it's all about performance and energy and a recording engineer able and willing to capture it, coupled with a recording room which sounds the way you like. If you get the stuff to sound the way in the room you're 70% there, the rest is the recording guy, so if you want "that" sound your first port of call is to find a studio or a recording location that has it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:08 am

robin746 wrote:Mutt Lange's production work on The Fine Art of Surfacing is a thing of beauty. Loved it on release and love it still. But it's also down to the dense arrangements and songwriting skill of the band, who were at the top of their form. Luckily I saw them on this tour.

The compact disk masters suck unfortunately. Brick wall at its worst.

But I agree with the others. You're not going to get "that sound" with mastering.

Your song seems to have the basics in place but the mix is a bit lifeless. Undertones are indeed a better reference point plus you have that punked-out rockabilly feeling working for you.

Yeah that album is fantastic. My first true facsination for a band. I loved those playful songs. The synths and vocal effects. You really don't get much of that full on creativity these days. I suspect mixing is a big part of that album. Mutt Lange has done some great work.

I agree that the old song I've got linked it's a bit lifeless. It quickly gets boring, but like I said it was cheap and quickly done. This new song is better and more gnarly. The Undertones is indeed a better reference for audio. But I dig that skinny guitar on Looking After No. 1.
Dr. Van Nostrand
Poster
ze punkband :)

Postby Urthlupe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 am

Martin Glover (‘Youth’ from Killing Joke etc) is involved on a project I’m working on right now. He has a production biog as long as your arm and a venerable history in the slightly later UK punk scene.

You could try him?

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Urthlupe wrote:Martin Glover (‘Youth’ from Killing Joke etc) is involved on a project I’m working on right now. He has a production biog as long as your arm and a venerable history in the slightly later UK punk scene.

You could try him?

Loopy

Certainly a very interesting guy. With his track list it’ll probably get too expensive for a garage band like ours. I appreciate the tip :-) There’s an article in this magazine of the man. Great attitude and impressive career.

Curious about your project. Would you like to give us a sneak peek?
Dr. Van Nostrand
Poster
ze punkband :)

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Again? what? Killing Joke, I mean, jeepers. I used to listen to Killing Joke in Jr. High Sko0L. They were required listening, as were Circle Jerks, Minutemen, and oh so many others. My 16 year old self would be appalled at what's happened to me.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Previous