You are here

If you could only have one compressor plugin to use for everything, what would it be?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

If you could only have one compressor plugin to use for everything, what would it be?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 am

I'm sure many of us get bogged down with too-much-choice-paralysis from time to time, I certainly do. I have more compressors than you can shake a stick at, both bought and free, and included in Logic Pro X. So what if the People's Democratic Committee for Plugins dictated that you could only use one compressor plugin for everything...drums, drum buss, loud rock vocals, soft folk vocals, acoustic guitars, bass, strings etc etc etc...which one would it be? And why.

No cheating by suggesting switchable modelling as per the Scheps Channel etc. Ten years in the Gulag for anyone who tries.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: If you could only have one compressor plugin to use for everything, what would it be?

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 am

I also have a fair number of compressors, but i only tend to use a couple on a regular basis. My standard channel strip has ReaComp on it and my master bus has a Focusrite Scarlett compressor on (because I prefer the interface).
If i had to choose one it would be Reacomp because of the additional features (e.g. side-chaining).
As you can probably tell, i don't tend to try and use compression for character.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: If you could only have one compressor plugin to use for everything, what would it be?

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 10:45 am

The Sonalksis SV-315Mk2 Compressor - it is just perfect.

It is transparent and unbelievable on spoken voice.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 am

Almost always use an LA-2A clone on vocals, violin and concertina, so easy and sounds good. I'm also partial to LA-3A on acoustic guitar. That covers most of my use.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 11:06 am

Excellent, keep em coming. Incidentally, I have consulted with the Glorious Leader of the Committee and he will allow a second choice if used exclusively for your stereo buss as per BD's post.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 am

Almost always use an LA-2A clone

Which one? Does it have the the simple two control (gain and peak reduction) as per the hardware original?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 am

Fabfilter Pro C2 for me. Useful set of controls, decent metering and just generally does exactly what it needs to do.
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Humble Bee » Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 am

DC1A from Klanghelm tends to get a lot of use. East to use. Sounds great. And is free.

I am in the process of quitting the UAD platform and go native but their LA2A and Fairchild renderings are fantastic and I have used them a lot in the past.

When I don’t need ‘character’ I tend to use the standard ones that come with Logic and Reaper.

:thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun May 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Silly question unless you’re only using compression for one task.

For me LA2A for vocals, LA3A for something more aggressive and the Fairchild 670 for subtle buss compression - all UAD.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Silly question unless you’re only using compression for one task.

Sorry, I do apologise. I hadn't realised that the forum now had a rule that only Very Sensible Questions were allowed. Do forgive me. I will go out and whip myself with spiky birch twigs immediately.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun May 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Merely pointing out that different types of compressors are used for different tasks........ thus there is no one answer to your question - even though you prescribed a one answer response........

Have fun with the birch twigs........

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Guest » Sun May 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Do forgive me. I will go out and whip myself with spiky birch twigs immediately.

You don't have to do it yourself. Many years ago in Swiss Cottage underground station there was a postcard that read:

"Naughty boys report to Miss Fiona"

followed by a telephone number.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Yes, Fiona and I have been happily married for many years now.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:26 pm

I just need two. Maybe three if u want to be picky. A 1176 style, an optical L2A2 style and possibly a as-clean-as-possible one. My choices are the UAD for the 76 and the A2 (when I'm not using the outboard ones I have) and the FABFilter C for the clean one.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:Which one? Does it have the the simple two control (gain and peak reduction) as per the hardware original?

First the White 2A from IK Multimedia and later the various LA-2As from UAD. Both reproduce the interfaces right down to the tobacco smoke stains and there's not a great deal to choose between them other than the UAD ones integrate with Console 1, meaning you really do have just two hardware knobs to twiddle.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Very nice. Console 1 looks more and more interesting the more I read about it.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 pm

UAD LA-2A is my first choice, Logic emulations are very good, and i use them also.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby desmond » Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I could get by with Logic's Compressor, as it has a bunch of different compressor types, but it looks like that's against the rules.

Really, the minimum I'd want is a dirty smashy 1176-type (lots of options for this), and a smoother more general type - I'm still partial to the old Waves RenComp for this.

But given the choice I prefer other options for bass (LA3A-type) and piano and bus stuff...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm

I could get by with Logic's Compressor, as it has a bunch of different compressor types, but it looks like that's against the rules

Most definitely. Although I'd be interested in what your favourites were from the emulations. I don't really understand why Logic's LA2A emulation has all the additional controls, though, whereas the DBX160 model, for example, doesn't.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Because Logic's models are not direct models of any particular compressor, they are instead composite types based on the circuit characteristics of various models of that type - so they are not constrained to the original hardware's controls in the way strict models are... so many of these things are the designer's choices as to what's useful to offer...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Next