You are here

Nasty resonance - acoustic guitar

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Nasty resonance - acoustic guitar

Postby Generic Moniker » Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 am

I've got a terrible whistling resonance from my Larivee acoustic guitar at around 1kHz and another at about 1.3kHz. Pretty sure it's the guitar, not the room or mic, having tried various rooms and mics. My main home studio room is adequately treated (I think). I also tried an old vintage Ibanez guitar and it had same issue! I'm at a loss here. Only commonality between the guitars is the strings - Elixer Nanoweb. Now that I'm tuned into this resonance, I hear it clearly whenever I strum my Larivee, regardless of the room acoustics. I'll notch it out if playing live.

When tracking, I can attenuate this somewhat with mic placement and notch filters but not all of it. I must admit, I don't have much experience tracking acoustic guitars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Generic Moniker
Poster

Re: Nasty resonance - acoustic guitar

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 10:49 am

If it's identical in two different guitars it almost certainly isn't the guitars that are causing it (what are the odds?). What are you using to record?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Generic Moniker » Sun May 19, 2019 11:27 am

I hear ya. But I can't figure it out. Tried various small diaphragm and large diaphragm mics, going straight into Steinberg interface and Reaper. No external pre in the chain. I've tried various rooms and the offending frequencies don't shift, which should be the case if it was the room, right? It's very prominent on my Larivee.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 am

So the only common items are interface laptop and Reaper? What about monitoring, speakers or headphones?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am

Hmmm. If you're getting it with just laptop, interface and headphones, it might be that (depending on the power supplies for the first two) you've actually got no earth in the system? That can cause odd noises. What model is the interface and do you have anything that uses an IEC (not-a-kettle-lead-but-looks-almost-like-one) that you can patch into the system to make sure you've got a ground?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Watchmaker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 pm

I'm with Sam on this one. If it happens on two guitars, that's where I'd start investigating. Take 'em both on a short tour beginning in the live room, then another room, say the kitchen, then outside. If it's the guitars, you'll know. If not, you'll have to be rigorous in isolating the variables until you suss it out.

*edit: After re-reading, the thread, I see that I am with Sam in the sense that I agree the guitars should be eliminated as a possibility. :headbang:
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Generic Moniker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:28 pm

I have tried both laptop (battery and plugged in) and dedicated desktop rig. I should mention that the same resonant freq is not there in vocals, drums etc with same recording equipment. I really think it's the guitar(s). Monitoring through 2 different sets of monitors and headphones. Always there. I will have to do more investigation. Will report back.

Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Generic Moniker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses!

Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Any chance of a recording? Do both guitars have under saddle pickups, and are they active or passive?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Good point Sam.

GM, are you using the same hole mounted pickup in both guitars, or a specific mic?
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Generic Moniker » Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Not going direct although the guitars do have KK pure mini. Using various condenser mics. I did have a light bulb moment though. I've been using the same preamp. Doh! Will try a different one tonight. Not sure why I didnt think of that earlier. That said, I think it's the guitar but perhaps wonky pre is making it worse

Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun May 19, 2019 2:00 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Any chance of a recording? ...

Seconded. We need to hear what the OP is hearing...
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby joelonsdale » Sun May 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Most acoustic guitars have a couple of pitched resonances in my experience. They can be exaggerated by your equipment and recording position, but I can normally pinch the rogue frequencies out with a little precision EQ'ing. I have one at about 315Hz and one at about 3750Hz - always there whatever preamp or microphone I use, not noticeable acoustically.
joelonsdale
Poster
Joe / joepublicstudios.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 pm

If you're recording with mics I can't see how it can be the guitars causing the issue. My bet is either feedback, acoustic if you are monitoring on speakers when recording (though you'd hear it if you were listening for it), electronic if you have a routing issue in the DAW/AI controller or a dodgy plug-in.

A detailed description of the recording/monitoring chain needed I think.

Do you use exactly the same recording chain when recording monitors?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 4:29 pm

joelonsdale wrote:Most acoustic guitars have a couple of pitched resonances in my experience. They can be exaggerated by your equipment and recording position, but I can normally pinch the rogue frequencies out with a little precision EQ'ing. I have one at about 315Hz and one at about 3750Hz - always there whatever preamp or microphone I use, not noticeable acoustically.

But two different guitars producing exactly the same noise is extremely unlikely and that is the case here :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby joelonsdale » Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 pm

That's very true - then it has to be equipment related and you should exclude one piece of equipment at a time from the recording until the noise disappears.
joelonsdale
Poster
Joe / joepublicstudios.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Yup, :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Generic Moniker » Mon May 20, 2019 1:14 am

Just sat down in studio (I use that term loosely...lol). Will report back after some investigation. I bet it's a bad pre.

Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Generic Moniker » Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 am

...or phantom circuit. Can't be the guitars...but I swear I hear the resonance in my Larivee but maybe I'm trying too hard to hear it if you know what I mean.

Generic Moniker
Poster

Postby Generic Moniker » Mon May 20, 2019 1:35 am

Nope, wasn't preamp or phantom circuit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4rfkj8ro3p50 ... t.wav?dl=0

12" on axis off 14th fret. Exaggerated picking attack to bring out the ringing resonance. Seems to really like C. No EQing.

Generic Moniker
Poster

Next