You are here

Releasing music

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Releasing music

Postby The Coastal Path » Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 pm

You suggest you "would like to promote my writing and her playing so that we get more work and, of course, better known in this particular area". And yet you also "work hard to remain anonymous". That's fair enough, but perhaps these two aims might not sit easily together.

However, if the music deserves to be heard (and only you and perhaps your collaborator can be the judge of that), there is really no reason not to make it available under an assumed name / group name via Bandcamp &/or a website and thus place some distance between yourself and the music.
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby Guest » Sat May 25, 2019 8:49 am

Just to clarify, the Zen Habits website is not mine but a website I like very much and use as a model for my own.

Postby awjoe » Sat May 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:As I work hard to remain anonymous, refuse to use social media, won't sign up to Youtube, I now think it's better if I don't release this music.

Using a facility like Bandcamp, you can release the music, for free or for money (or both) and stay completely anonymous since when you create your Bandcamp page, you decide how much biographical information to include. Zero biography is possible.

I use social media but don't promote my music on it, because I find all the things you have to do via that route sort of cheap and nasty and very, very boring. So, for a modest fee, I subscribe to a service called Distrokid which puts my stuff on streaming services and Amazon etcetera. Bandcamp and Distrokid are my way of getting my music out there and doing almost nothing on my part to achieve that.

If the music's worth listening to, it's worth releasing. It's gracious to include others in the beauty and pleasure of the musical experience you've been lucky enough to inhabit.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Guest » Mon May 27, 2019 10:19 am

Good advice from everyone, particularly the views that it is possible to release music under a group name rather than as individual.

Although I find technology easy to use and produce music with the latest equipment, the contemporary social media world is alien to me. But far more difficult to cope with is the move from physical media to streaming. I am still in the world where you take a cassette release round to the numerous small record shops and ask them if they would stock it.
And the lying, I can't cope with the lying. I have worked with companies whose publicity and write-ups are unrelated to reality. If someone produces substandard work and performs it, the write-up would be "this innovative work questions the role of the performer in a contemporary, alienating political situation, using tropes from popular media as seen through a post-modern, feminist narrative". When you see the performance it is the same boring clichés that have been around since the 1970s, in some cases even the 60s or 50s.

Postby CS70 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:21 am

Still Vibrations wrote:I am still in the world where you take a cassette release round to the numerous small record shops and ask them if they would stock it.

Which small record shops? :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guest » Mon May 27, 2019 10:24 am

CS70 wrote:
Still Vibrations wrote:I am still in the world where you take a cassette release round to the numerous small record shops and ask them if they would stock it.

London was full of them until the 1990s, especially in Soho.

Postby CS70 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am

Still Vibrations wrote:
CS70 wrote:

London was full of them until the 1990s, especially in Soho.

Yeah, Milan too. Good times...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 27, 2019 3:02 pm

CS70 wrote:

Still a few around here which are mainly catering for collectors. Pie and Vinyl in Southsea and Harbour Records in Emsworth are two that immediately spring to mind.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I need to do more research into this area. People now ask me if I have a CD player before they give me a CD of their latest music. A lot of the younger generation don't have any physical playback systems at all, CD, vinyl, cassette etc. A lot of DJ equipment can now play wave and mp3 files. Any electronic parts I supply are invariably played back on a laptop as 24bit wave files. Things are definitely different now than they were even a few years ago.

Previous