You are here

Line in from headphone amp

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Line in from headphone amp

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Hello!

I am thinking of a situation that seems possible, but am a little worried that I might break something.

I am meeting some friends perhaps to record a bit. Now this is what I have when we meet.

Computer
Focusrite Clarett 4pre audio interface
An old B&W Zeppelin Air, with 3.5 mm tele input
A couple of headphones

Is the risk huge (for the Clarett mainly) if I try to drive the Zeppelin from one of the headphone outputs on the Clarett? Or should I run off and buy some species of mono 6.3 (balanced?) to stereo 3.5 mm solution for this, in all likelyhood, one-off situation?

Am thinking of plugging in a guitar and a base straight into the Clarett.

Has anyone tried this?

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Re: Line in from headphone amp

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm

The 'tele' input on the B&W Zeppelin will almost certainly be built to accept the signal from the headphone output of a TV set so you should be fine driving it from the Focusriter headphone out.

Apply the usual common sense and if it sounds distorted turn it down.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Line in from headphone amp

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The 'tele' input on the B&W Zeppelin will almost certainly be built to accept the signal from the headphone output of a TV set so you should be fine driving it from the Focusriter headphone out.

Apply the usual common sense and if it sounds distorted turn it down.....

Cheers, Sam! :thumbup:
Ylan Sthlm
Poster