You are here

New interface, or Behringer ADA8000?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New interface, or Behringer ADA8000?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:43 am

I'm ITB and liking it, no mixer withdrawal so far, don't miss it at all, and I'm enjoying the simpler, and cleaner (audio) monitoring set-up, and the extra space!
However, there's no doubt I could do with just a few more inputs, my Motu has 8, but 12 would be ideal. I could either go to great expense and get one of the new Motu 16 input jobs, or go the Arpangel cheap skate route and get a Behringer ADA2000, just a few words of guidance needed here to point me in the right direction.

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Re: New interface, or Behringer ADA8000?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 am

AFAIK the preamps in the current ADA8200 are the same 'Midas Designed' ones from the X32 so quite respectable but not 'boutique'. Probably do the job just fine. The ADA8000 sounds fine to my ears too though (not that it gets used much, just the odd live gig when I need more inputs).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby IAA » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 am

I had a similar dilemma with my apogee element. I had the element 4 but needed another couple of inputs. In the end I figured that keeping my input signal simple and just buying the 8 input element AI the better option, it means I can access all the inputs through logic and there’s no worry about signal through separate hardware. On saying that, the logic/apogee integration was a big thing for me, obviously different for you. But often simpler is better!

By the way, it’s amazing what you suddenly find you can patch into the “spare” inputs you’ll have...
IAA
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 am

If you're happy with your current interface and if it has an ADAT port, it would be more cost effective to make use of that.

I wouldn't recommend the original Behringer ADA8000 -- its digital performance is very poor and its mic preamps don't sound nice (although that's probably not a problem for synth inputs). The current ADA8200 is notably better, but still short of the current average standard.

If you just need extra inputs (and not extra outputs) then I'd recommend either of the Audient 8-channel boxes, the ASP880 or ASP800 -- the latter having two 'tweaky' plus 6 vanilla channels, while the former has 8 identical full-fat preamps. The digital performance is excellent, the preamps are great, and you won't outgrow either model if you later upgrade the interface.

I use the 880 here, and a friend uses the 800 and both are superb.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:59 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If you're happy with your current interface and if it has an adat port, it would be more cost effective to make use of that.

I wouldn't recommend the original Behringer ADA8000 -- its digital performance is very poor and its mic preamps don't sound nice (although that's probably not a problem for synth inputs). The current ADA8200 is notably better, but still short of the current average standard.

If you just need extra inputs (and not extra outputs) then I'd recommend either of the Audient 8-channel boxes, the ASP880 or ASP800 -- the latter having two 'tweaky' plus 6 vanilla channels, while the former has 8 identical full-fat preamps. The digital performance is excellent, the preamps are great, and you won't outgrow either model if you later upgrade the interface.

I use the 880 here, and a friend uses the 800 and both are superb.

You've put a spanner in the works, that's an option, but the mic inputs would only get used very rarely. It's about £750, there's also the Focusrite Octo Pre, at around £500, wondered what you though about that? A Motu 16A is about £1,100, and an ADA200 is £200! Just wondering, for line use only, if the Audient is worth the extra money?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 am

Arpangel wrote:You've put a spanner in the works, that's an option, but the mic inputs would only get used very rarely.

But excellent for location recording... :-) For synth work, it's also handy that you can insert external hardware between the preamp and A-D stage.

It's about £750, there's also the Focusrite Octo Pre, at around £500, wondered what you though about that?

Not used one of the new Claret Octopre units, but it gets good reviews, and you get the 8 D-A line outputs should you need them.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jaminem » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Presonus DP88!!!

has 8 Pre-amps but also you get 8 Line ins outs!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'm ITB and liking it, no mixer withdrawal so far, don't miss it at all, and I'm enjoying the simpler, and cleaner (audio) monitoring set-up, and the extra space!
However, there's no doubt I could do with just a few more inputs, my Motu has 8, but 12 would be ideal. I could either go to great expense and get one of the new Motu 16 input jobs, or go the Arpangel cheap skate route and get a Behringer ADA2000, just a few words of guidance needed here to point me in the right direction.

:?:

I have had a similar experience. Some years ago I got rid of my massive mixer and went ITB, and like yourself was short of inputs so I got the ADA8000, it lasted a year or so then went pop, I got another, that went pop and they didn't sound too impressive either way. I then got an Octopre which was much better but the power supply ran red hot, although I used it for years and never gave a problem but it was so hot I was afraid but might set fire one day. I finally ended up with an RME FF800, and then a Focusrite Liquid 56, they both work fine but I prefer the Liquid 56 simply because I refer the front panel layout.

2 of my synths send audio over USB, so the number of line inputs on both the L56 and FF800 are adequate, another synth outputs over SPDIF, so even though I replaced the original Octopre with version 2, I have never had cause to use it.

I like Focusrite stuff, has been utterly reliable (touch wood, everytime I write something is working sweet as a nut - it goes wrong!!!!)

I would think the Clarett is well worth considering, I also like the look of the RME UFX though, and that allows you to record to USB
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I have an ADA8000, an Audient ASP008 and a Focusrite Saffire Pro26io which I understand uses the Platinum series preamps. The ADA8000 is a bit like the old ADAT machines with a very slight veiling to the high frequencies but it is very handy to have around. The Audient sounds great and it has all the options I'd expect right on the front panel. I've been thinking about going for an ASP880 as you can go directly in to the A/D convertors with line level signals. The Focusrite is frustrating - it sounds fine but they made a design mistake with the gain range so it overloads easily and the controls are fiddly.

If you only need line inputs and outputs (but plenty of them) then it is also worth taking a look at the Ferrofish range. It is also worth looking at the secondhand market for old 8 input Firewire interfaces - many of them have stand alone modes that allow you to use them as 8 input preamps with A/D and D/A conversion.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Matt Houghton » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:31 pm

First question is what you want the extra IO for and what budget you have available... as in, you already have 8 fairly decent inputs for the most critical sources, so for the final four, if you're choosy about what you put through them, you might be fine going with something cheaper like the ADA8000 or ADA8200. All depends on the quality of result you want.

If it were me, and on a budget, I'd probably look for an old Focusrite Octopre LE with the ADAT card fitted. The preamps are nice enough, the only issue being the gain range (could get overloaded by eg a snare close mic) but that's not really an issue, because you'll already have 8 other inputs so just pick and choose as appropriate. (Eg. there's one on eBay as I type, for £155 incl. delivery...)

If money were less of an issue and I didn't need the analogue outputs, I might opt for the Audient. Or I might opt for something cheaper and put the rest towards mics/synths/guitars/speakers ;) It's all a question of how critical the quality is, and how much money you want/have to spend on this...

Just my 2p.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:First question is what you want the extra IO for and what budget you have available... as in, you already have 8 fairly decent inputs for the most critical sources, so for the final four, if you're choosy about what you put through them, you might be fine going with something cheaper like the ADA8000 or ADA8200. All depends on the quality of result you want.

If it were me, and on a budget, I'd probably look for an old Focusrite Octopre LE with the ADAT card fitted. The preamps are nice enough, the only issue being the gain range (could get overloaded by eg a snare close mic) but that's not really an issue, because you'll already have 8 other inputs so just pick and choose as appropriate. (Eg. there's one on eBay as I type, for £155 incl. delivery...)

If money were less of an issue and I didn't need the analogue outputs, I might opt for the Audient. Or I might opt for something cheaper and put the rest towards mics/synths/guitars/speakers ;) It's all a question of how critical the quality is, and how much money you want/have to spend on this...

Just my 2p.

Thanks Matt, extra inputs is all I need, outputs won't get used.
The four extra inputs are for my two mono Monotron Delays, and the stereo output from my microphone preamp, a Mike Skeet design, wich is better than anything commercial I've tried, and I'm not giving it up under any circumstances.
Quallity is fine with my Motu, all I'm looking for is something of a similar quality, but with more inputs, it lets my mic amp come through OK, that's it really.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 am

I recently went for extra ADAT mic preamps for my apollo and considered all the above options. 2nd hand octopres were shorlisted, but I finally went for a - more expensive but still affordable (IIRC cost me a bit less than 500 GBP) - Midas XL48 and I'm very happy with it.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:32 am

That Midas looks good,I like the layout. I think it's worth spending a bit here, but.....isn't the audio quality ultimately determined by my Motu?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 am

well, don't know exactly how the routing goes within the MOTU when it comes to ADAT connections (I'm sure someone will come and clarify it better :mrgreen: ), but in the end the signal comes from the Midas after passing the preamp and already converted to digital
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:18 am

Arpangel wrote:...but.....isn't the audio quality ultimately determined by my Motu?

Nope. You're inputting digits from the external preamp via ADAT, so the Motu would just pass those straight through to the computer without changing anything. Therefore the quality of those sources is defined by the quality of that external preamp and it's A-D converters.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...but.....isn't the audio quality ultimately determined by my Motu?

Nope. You're inputting digits from the external preamp via ADAT, so the Motu would just pass those straight through to the computer without changing anything. Therefore the quality of those sources is defined by the quality of that external preamp and it's A-D converters.

H

Thanks Hugh, Audient "ordered".....

:)

The Midas was automatically deleted, it has a noisy fan, why? Anything with a fan is unusable here as my recording room is my control room. Midas are a pain in this respect, I'd have bought one of their mixers in the past if wasn't for the fan, I really don't see the need for this at all. I prefer the layout and the aesthetics of the Midas preamp, it's a shame.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am

it doesn't really bother me, that fan.

also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 am

ore_terra wrote:it doesn't really bother me, that fan.

also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.

I suppose it's OK if you're not recording acoustic instruments in the same room, I had to sell my Eventide FX unit because it was so noisy, anything like that I find really annoying. Audio equipment should be silent, another episode was my Lexicon 224, it was so noisy, like a hoover, I had to have it on a 10 meter extension outside in the hallway! Crazy.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 am

I have, actually :D acoustic guitars and also vocals. these vocals I'll admit that wont be too exposed in the mix (I didn't even turn off the AC to record them :lol: ) but the acoustic will (I did tur the AC off for this one :mrgreen: )

I used a LDC mic in omni, at about 2,5 m from the Midas. only screen between them being my own body. I can share an audio clip later if you want.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:18 am

ore_terra wrote:...also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.

But why spend money on something new and then modify it?

Would it not be better to buy something else that is fit for purpose? The lack of sales will then encourage the manufacturer to re-evaluate their design decisions... :D

This goes back to the Elf's campaign against external power supplies... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Next