You are here

New interface, or Behringer ADA8000?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: New interface, or Behringer ADA8000?

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...but.....isn't the audio quality ultimately determined by my Motu?

Nope. You're inputting digits from the external preamp via ADAT, so the Motu would just pass those straight through to the computer without changing anything. Therefore the quality of those sources is defined by the quality of that external preamp and it's A-D converters.

H

Thanks Hugh, Audient "ordered".....

:)

The Midas was automatically deleted, it has a noisy fan, why? Anything with a fan is unusable here as my recording room is my control room. Midas are a pain in this respect, I'd have bought one of their mixers in the past if wasn't for the fan, I really don't see the need for this at all. I prefer the layout and the aesthetics of the Midas preamp, it's a shame.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:50 am

it doesn't really bother me, that fan.

also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:03 am

ore_terra wrote:it doesn't really bother me, that fan.

also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.

I suppose it's OK if you're not recording acoustic instruments in the same room, I had to sell my Eventide FX unit because it was so noisy, anything like that I find really annoying. Audio equipment should be silent, another episode was my Lexicon 224, it was so noisy, like a hoover, I had to have it on a 10 meter extension outside in the hallway! Crazy.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:07 am

I have, actually :D acoustic guitars and also vocals. these vocals I'll admit that wont be too exposed in the mix (I didn't even turn off the AC to record them :lol: ) but the acoustic will (I did tur the AC off for this one :mrgreen: )

I used a LDC mic in omni, at about 2,5 m from the Midas. only screen between them being my own body. I can share an audio clip later if you want.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:18 am

ore_terra wrote:...also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.

But why spend money on something new and then modify it?

Would it not be better to buy something else that is fit for purpose? The lack of sales will then encourage the manufacturer to re-evaluate their design decisions... :D

This goes back to the Elf's campaign against external power supplies... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ore_terra wrote:...also, there are mods to change it for a quieter one, and there are also fellows that just remove it and apparently it works fine if you leave room in the rack for airing.

But why spend money on something new and then modify it?

Would it not be better to buy something else that is fit for purpose? The lack of sales will then encourage the manufacturer to re-evaluate their design decisions... :D

This goes back to the Elf's campaign against external power supplies... :lol:
dont get me wrong, I fully agree and I'm not thinking of modifying it! but still I have eyes and spare time and I did a good search of all the options :lol:

in Midas' favor, this one comes without an external power supply :D
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

:thumbup: :clap:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Thanks Hugh, Audient "ordered".....

Luckily the new ones don't use fans. The fan in the ASP008 is the noisiest thing in my studio (provided I don't switch the Digitech delay on with its buzzing panels).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby SimonZ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Also worth noting that the MOTU 8Pre Firewire interface can be found used at very low prices.
Not surprising since firewire is gone from most new computers.
BUT if it does not see a firewire connection, it automatically switches to stand alone converter mode and routes the mic pres direct to the ADAT outs. :thumbup:
SimonZ
Regular

Postby Matt Houghton » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Yes, quite a few interfaces can function as standalone ADAT converters. The RME Fireface 800, for example, is another quality unit that often comes up for bargain prices. Anyone going down that road, though, should check what physical controls are available in this mode... eg. some require the control software (and thus the link to a computer) for switching phantom power.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:40 pm

I think I may be throwing the baby out with the bath water here after going ITB.
Am I stupid or What? I already have a Behringer mixer with USB, it's as I see it, an ADA82000 without the multitrack capability, as it's only stereo USB. But it has 10mic/line inputs and sounds good! the ADA82000 has analogue inputs that have to be converted anyway so.....
I know it means going back to a mixer, but it's sitting in my basement doing nothing, and I don't have to spend "any" money.

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Aside from the fact that you'd be limited to recording no more than two mono sources at a time, or a single stereo source (or a fixed stereo mix) -- which may well work perfectly well in your situation -- I seem to recall that some people have had issues with a low-level whine noises from the Behringer USB mixers, so it would be worth checking that's not an issue.

It's also possible, depending on the exact model, that the mixer uses 16-bit converters so you may have to be careful about headroom margins when recording.

Plus, if you plan to run the Behringer mixer alongside your existing interface to supplement its input count, there's the added complication of running two USB devices simultaneously under your operating system.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Aside from the fact that you'd be limited to recording no more than two mono sources at a time, or a single stereo source (or a fixed stereo mix) -- which may well work perfectly well in your situation -- I seem to recall that some people have had issues with a low-level whine noises from the Behringer USB mixers, so it would be worth checking that's not an issue.

It's also possible, depending on the exact model, that the mixer uses 16-bit converters so you may have to be careful about headroom margins when recording.

Plus, if you plan to run the Behringer mixer alongside your existing interface to supplement its input count, there's the added complication of running two USB devices simultaneously under your operating system.

H

All points taken, I've only ever recorded a maximum of 6 seperate tracks on any session here, all microphones if that's going on, when recording on my own I never use more than one stereo input, my mixer has always functioned like a patch bay with faders, and an input expander. Also, I'm running into other problems going ITB, FX routing isn't ideal, my FX are in-line with my synths right now, because of a lack of inputs, I have to keep a keen eye on levels, and I can't use my Easel on maximum output, which is essential if you overdrive it or use internal feedback, it's all complicated, and very inflexible, I didn't realise these things earlier, they've only just surfaced after a session yesterday.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Terrible.dee » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:I'm ITB and liking it, no mixer withdrawal so far, don't miss it at all, and I'm enjoying the simpler, and cleaner (audio) monitoring set-up, and the extra space!
However, there's no doubt I could do with just a few more inputs, my Motu has 8, but 12 would be ideal. I could either go to great expense and get one of the new Motu 16 input jobs, or go the Arpangel cheap skate route and get a Behringer ADA2000, just a few words of guidance needed here to point me in the right direction.

Throughout the history of the ADA8000 being available, I've seen the same thing over and over again...

"Y'know what? This sounds FINE! If it sounds a little different than "...." it certainly doesn't sound WORSE."

The ADA8000 is one of the best deals in audio. It's such a good deal that people can't accept that it's true sometimes. But I've seen it used by people for whom budget is not a problem, and who do this for a living, in fact, that's where I've seen it used more often. Pros trust their ears.

I'm no Berrigner fan, quite the opposite, I consider them to be evil. The fact that they no longer make this product new, however, makes me feel a little less guilty in approving it.

I'm not endorsing something they can currently earn profit from.....bah! I still hate saying anything good about them.....but truth be told, yes, the ADA8000 is FINE as an ADAT expander.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am

Terrible.dee wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I'm ITB and liking it, no mixer withdrawal so far, don't miss it at all, and I'm enjoying the simpler, and cleaner (audio) monitoring set-up, and the extra space!
However, there's no doubt I could do with just a few more inputs, my Motu has 8, but 12 would be ideal. I could either go to great expense and get one of the new Motu 16 input jobs, or go the Arpangel cheap skate route and get a Behringer ADA2000, just a few words of guidance needed here to point me in the right direction.

Throughout the history of the ADA8000 being available, I've seen the same thing over and over again...

"Y'know what? This sounds FINE! If it sounds a little different than "...." it certainly doesn't sound WORSE."

The ADA8000 is one of the best deals in audio. It's such a good deal that people can't accept that it's true sometimes. But I've seen it used by people for whom budget is not a problem, and who do this for a living, in fact, that's where I've seen it used more often. Pros trust their ears.

I'm no Berrigner fan, quite the opposite, I consider them to be evil. The fact that they no longer make this product new, however, makes me feel a little less guilty in approving it.

I'm not endorsing something they can currently earn profit from.....bah! I still hate saying anything good about them.....but truth be told, yes, the ADA8000 is FINE as an ADAT expander.

I like the sound of my Behringer mixer, some people think I'm deaf, or mad, they can think that fine, but I'm happy and I haven't spent big bucks. I'm sure the ADA82000 is fine too.
I'm one of those guys who if I was billionaire, I don't like spending money for no reason, I'm truly with Warren Buffet here.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext