You are here

Sound devices - Mix Pre 3M - Help

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sound devices - Mix Pre 3M - Help

Postby Scouser » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:38 pm

I am pretty convinced the mix pre is going to tick all the boxes for my needs, however there are still a few things I would like to know, if anyone can help.

I will be using it for many different applications and feel the 3M would be a better fit than the standard 3T. However there are a couple of things I’m struggling to find out.

The standard 3T has limiters, does the 3M ? Can’t really see a lot of difference between the two units other than the 3T has timecode whereas the 3M does not, as I use iPhone for any video work, this is not a deal breaker. Are there any other differences between the two units, that might be worth knowing about ?

Given that the 3M is geared towards multitrack recording and daw interface, I find it strange it does not have guitar inputs, am I correct in assuming, I could use di box to get over this problem ? Also if using as a daw, given that there is only one stereo output, what kind of lead would I need to connect pair of studio monitors ?

Also seen quite a few stands for these, which seems to make a lot of sense if using as a daw, but as I probably won’t be doing that, was thinking of going the tripod route, I’m guessing that should be fine given the size of it. I guess that will be trial and error..

Also very interested in hearing anyone’s experience of using these units, general thoughts.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Sound devices - Mix Pre 3M - Help

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Maybe download the manual https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MixPre-3M_UG-Current.pdf

Yes the 3M has limiters.

You could hook up the Aux Out to powered speakers using appropriate cabling.

And yes, you’d need to use a DI box to record guitar.

Regarding stands, as noted previously, I recommend the Soundevices Pix-Base.

Worth noting is that the 3M can be controlled by external devices and I’ve found the Korg Nanocontrol Studio to be superb in this respect.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Scouser wrote:The standard 3T has limiters, does the 3M ?

Yes. Limiters are in page 2 of the system menu.

Are there any other differences between the two units, that might be worth knowing about ?

The big one for me is that the 3M can't decode mid-side sources whereas the 3T can. And the Wingman app can't edit metadata on the 3M.

If you need the timecode functions and MS processing, etc, you could go for the 3T and add the musician plugin option to get the best of both worlds, selecting the appropriate operating mode for each job.

... I find it strange it does not have guitar inputs...

The 3M is a mixpre3 with some new software: the audio I/O is identical and intended for tv/film location recording where guitars are rare! ;-)

...am I correct in assuming, I could use di box to get over this problem ?

Yes. That's the ideal solution -- an active DI box is best.

... given that there is only one stereo output, what kind of lead would I need to connect pair of studio monitors ?

There's an unbalanced stereo line out via 3.5mm socket, so you'd need a cable with a stereo 3.5mm plug at one end splitting into two quarter-inch mono TS plugs for the monitors.

...was thinking of going the tripod route, I’m guessing that should be fine given the size of it. I guess that will be trial and error..

The dedicated desktop stand is very good, but I managed well enough with a spare camera tripod...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scouser » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks Hugh, much appreciated.

Excuse my ignorance, but is mid side when you point one mic at source and another almost on top, pointing to the sides ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 am

Scouser wrote:... is mid side when you point one mic at source and another almost on top, pointing to the sides ?

Yes -- although the fine detail of what mics are used and how they are rigged is important! ;-).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 am

You can still record mid-side with the 3M - if you want - but you'd need to process the files in your DAW. Monitoring could be more challenging, but you could rig a patch cable on the headphone output to achieve this.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am

Scouser, you could use a simple guitar pedal to input guitar but it must NOT be of the daft
"True Bypass" type.
Pedals from Boss and Blackstar I know use buffers so that the guitar is presented with the right, very high impedance even when the effect is off.

You might even find an EQ pedal useful as guitar, not coming from an amp/speaker system, can sound raw and "fizzy". Some pedals (cough!) even have an "emulated" output.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Scouser » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Just received my mix pre 3M had a little play around with it, very pleased so far, sound is great !

It didn't ship with usb Y cable, just wondered if this is the only way to connect it to pc ?
Searched amazon for required lead and was amazed to draw a blank no dual usb A to C unless I'm missing something ? Was hoping to order one through prime, but as I say no joy.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 pm

I have used just the data option on the Y cable, but not sure if you can use a standard USB-C to USB-A Cable. You can’t power the unit that way, so best to buy the Y cable which looks like a proprietary one.

And it would seem that it’s an optional extra with the 3M, but ships as standard with the 3.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Just ordered a standard y cable, hoping that works, failing that I will get one from them.

Meant to ask bob, do you know if you can use different reverbs on different tracks ? Ie room say for guitar, plate for vocal, can’t seem to figure it out. Also not sure if it can record metronome count in ? I know it can record during record, oh well early days, I will get there, really pleased with the few test recordings I’ve done.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 am

Scouser, the optional power supply is rated at 15W. Now that does not mean the 3M actually pulls 15W but that is well over the juice available from even two USB 3.0 ports?

Have to say, nice company if the user manual is anything to go by! Downloaded in seconds and is named for exactly what it is and not some obscure series of numbers and letters.
Very clear layout to boot.

I am most green!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Scouser wrote:Just ordered a standard y cable, hoping that works, failing that I will get one from them.

Meant to ask bob, do you know if you can use different reverbs on different tracks ? Ie room say for guitar, plate for vocal, can’t seem to figure it out. Also not sure if it can record metronome count in ? I know it can record during record, oh well early days, I will get there, really pleased with the few test recordings I’ve done.

Sorry to say whilst I do have the ‘M’ version of the 10, I’ve never used the onboard reverb and metronome as I use it for tracking live concerts and add effects and mix in post.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:37 pm

ef37a wrote:Scouser, the optional power supply is rated at 15W. Now that does not mean the 3M actually pulls 15W but that is well over the juice available from even two USB 3.0 ports?

Have to say, nice company if the user manual is anything to go by! Downloaded in seconds and is named for exactly what it is and not some obscure series of numbers and letters.
Very clear layout to boot.

I am most green!

Dave.

Yep it came with power supply, but not usb y cable. I will see if standard lead works before I splash out the £35 for the official version. There are a few things I will try first, ie powering with battery and connecting with usb A to usb C, have heard this works, we will see.

3rd time through the manual and it’s starting to stick ☺️
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 pm

I think the problem will be in USB interface mode where you need to power the unit and access data over its same USB C port. The unit’s USB A port is for connecting a keyboard or control device.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:41 am

Well the standard y cable from amazon seems to power it and allow for data transfer, which is what I needed. Not planning to use a as audio interface, just yet, so all is good.

I suppose I could also have transferred files from sd card with usb card reader, haven’t tri Ed that as above method works fine.
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Paul Isaacs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 am

Scouser wrote:Just ordered a standard y cable, hoping that works, failing that I will get one from them.

You can use different reverbs on tracks if you render the reverbs in using the bounce feature. For realtime recording and/or playback, you can only use a single reverb type at a time, but you can adjust the amount of reverb send for each track to optimize for the effect you want.
Yes you can record metronome by selecting metronome as track source.
Paul
Paul Isaacs
Poster
Paul Isaacs
Sound Devices LLC